IMO Animal Abuse charges should be filed agained him - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default IMO Animal Abuse charges should be filed agained him

CM trying to "rehabilitate" a resource guarder. The owners of the dog admitted in the tv show that they had hit the dog with a broom to try to solve the problem. I didn't see the show, though, just this clip.

Why do people idolize this guy. (I'd like to use a stronger word.)

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not condoning him because I'm not a fan but I don't think he's any more responsible for the dog's condition than the owners. I don't know why he bothers with a show or why people glorify it. He gets called in my clueless owners who have basically trained and reinforced their dogs to do all manner of dangerous habits and then expect CM to fix it over night.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

When he pointed toward the dog and was commenting on the "relaxation" I was thinking to myself, no, the dog looks worried and cornered. Guess so!

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm curious, if you were in his position what would you do?

Abuse is a very strong word, did he hit the dog with a baseball bat or chain? Yes he kicked the dog but he had a large dog literally hanging off his hand and biting as hard as he could. That was a nasty bite yet once the dog stopped attacking him Cesar didn't do anything more then not back down. The dog has obviously been taught by the owners "if I'm aggressive I get what I want because they're scared of me." The dog was unsure because Cesar wasn't backing down even after the dog did it's worse. IMO what the dog did to Cesar was much worse then what Cesar did to the dog

I'm not saying that he was right 100% but I also didn't see anything over the top. Just my opinion

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

The abuse is pushing the dog to have to bite him in the first place. The challenging and hard staring and hitting her that provoked the bite when she was clearly displaying calming and appeasment signals the whole time.

The are better ways to treat food aggression and they don't involve bullying the dog and using more aggression.

Here is a great second by second analysis of what Holly was really displaying: Canine Aggression Issues with Jim Crosby: Food Aggression and a Famous Trainer

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
The abuse is pushing the dog to have to bite him in the first place.
I don't understand this, because the dog has such an incredibly low threshold. If someone was taunting a dog over and over until it lashed out, then I would completely agree. Cesar is challenging the dog, but why is this wrong?

In part of this segment Cesar says, "...you can't have this with a baby in the house." So the only real choices are either do something about the behavior or PTS.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Read that blog post that GSDRaven linked to. It breaks it down really well. I just read it - I would not call that reaction to a threat low threshold. I think that the dog stopped guarding food and was actually defending herself. Like the writer said, she didn't redirect on anyone or anything else.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Takes a rocket scientist to figure this out!

It's Me or the Dog- Food Guarding | Indoor Tips - YouTube
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I don't understand this, because the dog has such an incredibly low threshold. If someone was taunting a dog over and over until it lashed out, then I would completely agree. Cesar is challenging the dog, but why is this wrong?

In part of this segment Cesar says, "...you can't have this with a baby in the house." So the only real choices are either do something about the behavior or PTS.
He was taunting the dog. He was directly challenging her with his posture and staring. It's not like he walked past her bowl and she lunged. That was not a low threshold.

I do agree that the dog would likely not be safe to be eating loose with a baby crawling by but there are a million ways to manage and actually rehab that behavior without putting the dog in more conflict and further damaging the relationship she has with people and food.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
The abuse is pushing the dog to have to bite him in the first place. The challenging and hard staring and hitting her that provoked the bite when she was clearly displaying calming and appeasment signals the whole time.

The are better ways to treat food aggression and they don't involve bullying the dog and using more aggression.

Here is a great second by second analysis of what Holly was really displaying: Canine Aggression Issues with Jim Crosby: Food Aggression and a Famous Trainer
So wait wait wait...any bite we will now say "the person made the dog bite! the person abused the dog to the point that the dog needed to bite him!"

If you call anything in that clip animal abuse...we'll be locking up anyone that touches a dog a little harder than what is acceptable by X person. His little hand prick? Really? Abuse? I'm not saying he's the only way to fix things...but he tries to fix things fast. Most times when the dog is aggressive like this the owner have a baby on the way and are 2 weeks away from rehoming...good luck rehoming that dog. So Cesar comes in and fixes things in a short amount of time. Most of the time those people don't have the option of doing NILIF for a year or two, and most likely don't have the ability to do so either.

I'm really surprised sometimes at how quickly people defend dogs on this forum. That dog had extremely low thresh holds. It was not a dog that a regular person could deal with without taking drastic measures. You guys realize that there are probably thousands of trainers/behaviorists in this country that would do much worse. How about the "dog boot-camp" places where you aren't allowed to see your dog for 2 weeks or know anything about the way they will be fixing your dog? I'm sure that if I watched any of you train I could find something in there that I could call abuse if I wanted to.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.