IMO Animal Abuse charges should be filed agained him - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Of your first one, I could only watch 37 seconds of that clip, so I'm not sure how it ended. That was just stupid (what I saw) and with such a young puppy I don't even see the point.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I am only saying that in that clip, yes, Cesar caused THAT particular bite despite the dog trying everything to avoid having to do so..
There was a discussion about this clip on another forum I am on. The fact that to dog chose to bite *after* Cesar had backed off, and she had seemed to soften, is the thing that makes the dog dangerous. She did not "avoid" him. She could have walked away, rolled over, or simply submitted. She wasn't cornered. 99% of dogs would choose NOT to bite after the threat had been removed. This is a dangerous, unpredictable dog that should be euthanized, IMO. Whether Cesar did the "right" thing is kind of beside the point--the dog's threshold is so low that anyone could be bitten at any time--especially a child.

My theory is that the owners probably tried every training method to cure this dog of her resource guarding, including beating the heck out of her. In this scenario, she probably learned that backing down, submitting, etc. will not do her any good. HOWEVER, most dogs would learn to back off at some point, rather than escalating aggression at every turn... the dog that chooses aggression over every other option is not a dog that should be living with a family, or anybody other than a very dog-savvy expert. There are so many NICE dogs out there that DON'T have this kind of aggression... why spend resources trying to "rehabilitate" this one?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Of your first one, I could only watch 37 seconds of that clip, so I'm not sure how it ended. That was just stupid (what I saw) and with such a young puppy I don't even see the point.
You need to continue to watch it - it will explain how they got past it and the dog is no longer a guarder.
The puppy grew up, btw. AND is no longer a guarder.

Perhaps this one will make more sense to you -
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
There are so many NICE dogs out there that DON'T have this kind of aggression... why spend resources trying to "rehabilitate" this one?
Wow.
I mean why wouldn't she bite him after he hit her and made her feel so threatened??

I KNOW for a fact that dog could have been fixed immediately by the techniques used in the vids I've posted (even if folks don't want to watch them LOL)

Because I have done it and I'd do it with that dog, but unfortunately everyone's brain is stuck on "beat the dog until it submits".

Sad for the dog but even sadder people can't see how easy it can be fixed.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
There was a discussion about this clip on another forum I am on. The fact that to dog chose to bite *after* Cesar had backed off, and she had seemed to soften, is the thing that makes the dog dangerous.
She layed down and was avoiding eye contact while Cesar talked to the owner and then he leaned over her and grabbed her muzzle (a very invasive and dominant gesture). He never backed off, his body posture was still stiff and forward the whole time.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
She layed down and was avoiding eye contact while Cesar talked to the owner and then he leaned over her and grabbed her muzzle (a very invasive and dominant gesture). He never backed off, his body posture was still stiff and forward the whole time.
What was Cesar's "plan" anyway? Be "the boss" until the dog finally decides he wears bigger pants??

Has nobody heard of hand-feeding a resource guarder? Or the "trade up" technique??
I would DIE to see a "training show down" where Victoria walked in and hand fed that dog kibble, and seen a transformation in front of the owners - and millions of Americans!

Imagine that dog, had Cesar done the "few bites of kibble" at a time - do you think he'd have had to smack her around and be ultimately bitten??
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Imagine that dog, had Cesar done the "few bites of kibble" at a time - do you think he'd have had to smack her around and be ultimately bitten??
I'm sure that had already been tried. Remember that this video clip is taken out of context. This probably was the last resort after nothing else worked.

Cesar brings out the worst in dogs because he wants to see the behavior at its worst. Better for him to receive the bite that comes than the owner or an innocent child that simply walked by the food dish and didn't know what hit him.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

No we do not know that has been tried. I'm willing to bet it hasn't because Cesar would not be there, had it been tried!

Nobody seems to be able to make that paradigm shift. I've seen it here on the board, that nobody can believe the "trade up" technique, or hand feeding a dog would work, so they just poo-poo it. Already in this very thread someone admitted they didn't even watch the entire vid, so why would they want to actually TRY it?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nobody is perfect, not even Ceasar. ALL trainers of ALL animals have their moments when they push a little to much or make a bad call. He got bit and still did the right thing by the dog.....not many can say the same. "Abuse" charges? No, not at all. Not even close. I'm sure he learned a lesson from this and lets not forget how many dogs are still alive today because of Ceasar. A skrew up here and there does not outweigh all the great things he has done.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Patchon, what we're saying is, he went about it all ass-backwards and got bit, when none of it was necessary.

You're watching a humongous ego, and a man who is very very wrong in his techniques.
That's all there is to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.