IMO Animal Abuse charges should be filed agained him - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
He was taunting the dog. He was directly challenging her with his posture and staring. It's not like he walked past her bowl and she lunged. That was not a low threshold.

I do agree that the dog would likely not be safe to be eating loose with a baby crawling by but there are a million ways to manage and actually rehab that behavior without putting the dog in more conflict and further damaging the relationship she has with people and food.
Exactly. WHY do people feel they must touch the dog in the 1st place??
As with the folks in the Victoria vid - It's Me or the Dog- Food Guarding | Indoor Tips - YouTube

They don't need to walk up and pet the dog while it's eating!

Now a kid in the house, maybe, but teach it Victoria's way (which is guaranteed to work) and not confronting it until it bites! ALSO that's why they make baby gates!

You seriously do not have to hit and kick and beat a dog until it learns to "not guard"! Become it's leader and take control of it's resources, is that really so hard to figure out?

Dogs get put to sleep over this stuff, why is this such an issue when it's so danged easy to prevent
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So comparing the two videos...one dog that growls and pees and another that automatically goes for a bite when someone goes near it's food. I see how those two things are the same. Yes...the basic guarding behavior comes from the same place...but they have two totally different reactions that are on completely different levels of danger.

Also...to the OP...Cesar never told them to hit the dog with a broom...they did that themselves before he was there. So if anyone should get animal abuse charges its them. But again...lets lock up Cesar when we have horders out there with 50 dogs in a tiny trailer.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4655581307021

Another really great video that really breaks down the signals Holly displays as it's happening.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Martem, that dog would have gone for a bite, c'mon!

Food Aggression Rehabilitation - YouTube

If you don't think so then watch this!

There is no need for that macho crap Cesar pulls. NONE. He makes me want to vomit.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
So wait wait wait...any bite we will now say "the person made the dog bite! the person abused the dog to the point that the dog needed to bite him!"
No. Where did anyone actually say that?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cesar completely set himself up for that bite and the dog ended up getting kicked because she reacted exactly how a food aggressive dog will react. The bite could have been completely avoided and if this moron really knew anything, then he would have been paying attention to her body language instead of talking to the camera about how "submissive" he made the dog. I saw it coming from a mile away and I think he's an idiot for putting that dog in that situation.

BTW- the episode ends with him keeping the dog because she couldn't be "fixed".
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
So wait wait wait...any bite we will now say "the person made the dog bite! the person abused the dog to the point that the dog needed to bite him!"
Hold the dramatics please. I am only saying that in that clip, yes, Cesar caused THAT particular bite despite the dog trying everything to avoid having to do so. To trainers/behaviorists all over the world, it is clear as day.

The abuse in that clip is purely emotional. He is forcing the dog to feel uncomfortable, defensive and helpless by challenging her despite her trying to communicate that she doesn't want confrontation.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Cesar Milan and Jim Crosby are like night and day. That is a good read, but it still doesn't convince me that positive methods will work in 100% of the time. Neither does the video link, because my concerns there are that for one thing, the dog has urinated while guarding, which I've never seen before, and this makes me think that this dog has alot more going on. Also, I've used the 'add more food' technique with a guarder before, and all that happened was that she anticipated more food, and gave me 3 seconds to move my hand. If I didn't do this, she stiffened right up. Likely would have bitten me, but I didn't need to make a point for a tv show, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Do you think they fixed this dog??

Food Aggression Rehabilitation - YouTube

You will never fix resource guarding by hitting and punishing and taking food away.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Also, I've used the 'add more food' technique with a guarder before.

You did not do it right. Why keep your hand in the bowl?

The idea is to get your dog to trust you again, and work from there.

Use low value kibble and drop cooked chicken into the bowl

Or hand feed the whole thing, or use kibble in the bowl and chicken from your hand.

BTW, we cured a dog of resource/food guarding before we ever knew there was a term, and before we saw any YOUTUBE vids.
I hand fed her her meals daily, then included the kids. At the end of it (a few weeks of doing so) she trusted we GIVE food, we do not TAKE food, and you could do anything with her bowl or her while she was eating.

But you do not start out just walking up to your dog and cramming your hand into their bowls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.