"No-Kill" Shelter actually euthanizes healthy dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra
Default "No-Kill" Shelter actually euthanizes healthy dog

Investigation exposes humane society 'Lucky Dog' program - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Healthy dogs that had already been sponsored to cover their expenses and adoption feeds. The shelter even sent out emails saying that the dogs had been adopted.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow...wow...That would be fraud at a minimum...at least someone will probably go to jail for this.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, this was heartbreaking to watch. I am just shocked that someone would have the nerve to do this to people. I would be right at her door asking for answers if I was anyone of the numbers of people that have supported this shelter with donations. I thought no-kill means just that. Then to take money and not use it on keeping them alive. SICKING.
Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
chloesmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know I've not had the best experiences at shelters but I recognize they have difficult jobs. Still to blatantly mislead animal lovers for money is reprehensible. And then to kill the dogs they promise to save---{*&^%$#@*!*#&^%$#!!!

Personally, I struggle with euthanizing any animal. As I get older, I have come to terms with it for my own pets because I have done everything possible to give them the best possible chance at a long life. But when they are suffering and nothing more can be done, it is a kindness to not let them suffer any more.

Duke-only the best GSD I've ever known
Asa & Lucy-golden retrievers (brother & sister)
Sassy, Mork & Mindy-our black cats

Last edited by KindnessCounts; 07-19-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: to clarify meaning
KindnessCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's the minimum sentence someone like that is going to have? Anybody with a legal background here?

Seems far too nice for a 6month in prison + community service type deal.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

FRAUD!

The only way they caught this hag is because she has a staff member, who was willing to lose her job over it, after two years. How terrible.

The thing is that once people give up the dog, yes they want to know it went to a good home, and then they are happy. She would have never been caught. We have made dropping off a dog such an offense that people are not likely to admit it and point it out. Now for the lady who found this no-kill place for a suffering abandonned dog, she looks like a good-deed-doer, which she is. So she can call in the news, she might check up on the dog. But with an e-mail saying the dog has been adopted, she feels good.

People blow whistles when they feel bad.

I want this woman, the director to feel bad. She belongs in prison. Because it is fraud for money, she might be facing years in prison, not for killing healthy animals, but for stealing money from folks. Either way, I hope they get her good. I hope the people in the prison know and give her a hard time too. She can be the Director of Latrines in the county clink.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Wow...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am so angry at the moment, I cannot think straight, so I apologize in advance for anything I am about to say.......

Over the last few years, I have sponsored a number of these "Lucky Dogs". I can't tell you how many, I've lost count, but its significant. In almost every case, I have received that same email as shown on the news program. I am now wondering how many of those dogs were actually euthanized.

I have been a strong supporter of this shelter for years. It was supposed to be a no-kill shelter, that was the mission statement, and it was directed by a very strong group of quality people who loved animals. I have spoken to "Peanut" personally on a number of occasion over the years, I helped fund raise for the new shelter and I lobbied directly for my daughters private school to get involved raising money for the shelter. The kids at her school spent time volunteering with the dogs and cats at this shelter on community outreach days.

I am shocked, outraged, and sick that this has been going on, and none of us were aware of what was happening.

I just got off the phone with one of the Board Members of the shelter and absolutely read him the riot act. It appears the board was also in the dark about this scenario, and they've requested that both the Rabun County Sheriffs department and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation open investigations and pursue criminal charges against anyone involved in this sham. And that's what it was, a sham!

I am physically ill at this moment. How could this have happened? How many dogs and cats have died? I feel like I have their blood on my hands......I am heart broken.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No! Their blood is NOT on your hands! There is one, or a few people responsible for what is happening here. It sounds like there is a decent amount of money involved here. I think you should contact your attorney. You should be mad, and you should see if you can get a class action lawsuit against these people.

They have made money hand over fist on these dead dogs. You think $100 or $140 is not so much, but chances are they did NO vetting, they had some of them for just days. My guess is the ones that eat less, lived longer. My guess, they are feeding cheap junk or donated food and all of these lucky dogs -- 100 people sponsor dogs, that is 10,000 14,000$ My guess is they could probably sign up that many people in a month.

I hope they nail this woman to the wall, and any of her cohorts, though I think the employee should be exhonerated for blowing the whistle.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And some of the shelters wonder why the public is sometimes reluctant to donate to them.This is why.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.