North Carolina euthanasia law debate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default North Carolina euthanasia law debate

I just read about the 2 bills currently under debate in North Carolina about whether or not it is humane to euthanize shelter animals using gas chambers.

Of course, conspicuously NOT under discussion is whether euthanizing is humane no matter what the method, but if there are NC residents on the board,I'm wondering if there is a lot of activity to lobby the state Reps to pass one or the other of these bills, or how much media coverage this is getting locally. Here is the blog post I read about it:

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-w...icians-debate/

Lizzie and the rescue crew:
Argo, rescued GSD and champion handsome-pants
Mimi, tuxedo cat extraordinaire
Portia, tabby cat savant
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Re: North Carolina euthanasia law debate

Posted in my facebook. I will forward to my NC friends and ask they will send something to their local representatives.

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
Tetley's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to southerncharm Send a message via Yahoo to southerncharm

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Argonaut

Of course, conspicuously NOT under discussion is whether euthanizing is humane no matter what the method
I'd love to know how that discussion would go...seeing as there is no other option but to euthanize animals, since our shelters are SO overloaded with unwanted animals. In a perfect world, everyone would spay/neuter their pets and there would be no overpopulation...but since this is our reality, the best thing that can be done is for the animals to be euthanized humanely (by lethal injection). I believe it's much more humane for an animal to be put to sleep than to sit rotting in a 'sanctuary' for the rest of it's life, never being able to experience a normal family/home life. I think it's great that we are pushing for the removal of gas chambers from our shelters. Let's focus on one thing at a time, and recognize what could be a big accomplishment for our state.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

It would ( hopefully, will) be a great step forward, for sure. But euthanizing could become unnecessary if people would stop breeding dogs, would neuter their animals, and would adopt homeless pets from shelters instead of puppies from breeders or pet shops. Obviously that is an ideal and would require a massive paradigm shift! But it's something to work toward in the long term, while still pushing for actions to improve the existing circumstances in the short term as well--which passing a good bill here would certainly do.

Lizzie and the rescue crew:
Argo, rescued GSD and champion handsome-pants
Mimi, tuxedo cat extraordinaire
Portia, tabby cat savant
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Qyn
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Argonaut ....... euthanizing could become unnecessary if people would stop breeding dogs,
If there were no breeders there would be no dogs at all, so I think the term should be misbreeding rather than just breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Argonaut ... would neuter their animals, and would adopt homeless pets from shelters instead of puppies from breeders or pet shops.
Again, it is not responsible breeders at fault, it is irresponsible people altogether who either irresponsibly allow their dogs to be bred for whatever reason or those who do not take care of an animal they do acquire.

If only we could effectively outlaw the actions of irresponsible peoplen then this whole situation would not arise. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen anytime soon, as, there appears to be more irresponsible people being irresponsibly bred everyday.

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
Qyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"It would ( hopefully, will) be a great step forward, for sure. <u>But euthanizing could become unnecessary if people would stop breeding dogs, would neuter their animals, and would adopt homeless pets from shelters instead of puppies from breeders or pet shops.</u> Obviously that is an ideal and would require a massive paradigm shift! But it's something to work toward in the long term, while still pushing for actions to improve the existing circumstances in the short term as well--which passing a good bill here would certainly do. "

Whatever.

Personally, I like the German Shepherd Dog breed. I will not leave it to puppy mills and back yard breeders to sustain the breed. So far, none of my pups have landed in a shelter or rescue. I keep track of them. Someday, there may be too many of them out there for me to follow each one as I currently am, but I hope that with all the paperwork and interviews that I do with each puppy owner, I have impressed on them that if they need to rehome the dog, they can contact me.

If everyone spays or neuters their dogs, than within a decade dogs will be rare. Within two, they will be extinct. That IS what PITA wants. There is indeed no reason to euthanize dogs in shelters if there are no dogs.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

To answer the OP's question,
This isn't a priority in the legislature. There has been some exposure but not nearly enough IMO. Active lobbying of the Reps, a little but again not enough IMO. Hopefully it will pass eventually.
eberesche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.