German Shepherds Forum banner

Milo's updated pics. Full blooded or not?

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  yovanimt 
#1 ·
Ok guys I don't know if you remember my boy Milo, the one with the unusual mask that had a lot of people guessing if he had husky in him, his father being half husky etc... Anyway I talked to the owner of Milo's parents and he said that Lobo (the father) is full blooded German shepherd, Lobo's dad was an all white shepherd and the mother was a registered cream and black reverse mask. So lobo came out with poor pigmentation, he showed me an old pic from Lobo's mom and she looks like the dog from the littlest hobo. So... That explains why Milo and his brothers mask.

#5 ·
Such a cute puppy and tired to best time to take a picture ! Great sweater!!! He looks purebred the mom sure is. My grandma had a German shepherd mix growing up I now think she was now possibly purebred she did not have the black saddle but all tan with scattered black few hairs. Shepherds do come in many colors and patterns.

#6 ·
What a cutie! I am seeing a Husky/GSD type mix, while those markings did exist in the past it is very hard to find them nowadays. And beyond color your pup's skull shape,ears, and expression remind me of a Husky type from that picture. Do you have any better ones?

And you can never really say if a dog is pure without actually knowing their history. Their are purebred dogs who look like they're mixes, and mixes who look pure. Genetics are just so complex, and mixing can be generations back. Just love your pup! That's the most important thing, they don't care what they are. ;) I'd just say "German Shepherd mix" and call it good. But just as an example this dog is 1/4th Corgi, she was part of a breeding program to introduce naturally bobbed tails to Boxers. You'd never think there was Corgi in this dog if you saw it walk down the road! (And the Corgi came from her dam, so no "maybe another male got in there")

And to show further how genetics vary, this is her littermate.

#8 ·
OP, this is the second thread you've started on this topic in which you argue with every differing opinion you receive. I'm not sure I understand the point?

If you wanted to be sure you had a purebred, you should have bought a registered dog from registered parents. You didn't do that, so yeah, you run the risk of it not being a purebred. Your puppy may be a purebred, but it is rather unusual looking. You'll likely never really know.

But honestly, who cares? He's your dog - love him for what he is and stop being so hung up on what else he may or may not be.

#14 ·
Yep that is what I thought, there are variances in all breeds here's a picture of Faster, my Boxer at 12 years old (we lost him to cancer last year [emoji25] ) our neighbors had two solid color boxers who had a different built than mine. Their heads were rounder and their built more stocky as for mine he had a leaner look with a more pronounced waist and and a slimmer head as well.

#17 ·
want to settle this ?

get the kits from DDC Veterinary https://vetdnacenter.com

they have a kit for paternity testing which will verify the sire and dam.

You will need to go back to the breeder and get a cheek swab from the "sire"
and a cheek swab from the dam. You will provide a cheek swab from you young pup.

This will either confirm the proposed male as sire , or rule him out , which means there is
a visiting suitor who had his way.

This will identify the paternity of YOUR pup. The others may belong to another sire. A female is
able to carry the progeny of more than one male . There are some litters which will have two males on purpose to capitalize on a superior female and the nature of a female having limited breeding years.

BUT each pup will only be the progeny of ONE male .

This Vet service also provides kits for "Canine Breed Selector.
Find Available DNA Tests by Breed)

The non-gsd portion will be detected (if this is the case)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.