German Shepherds Forum banner

Dirk at 6 1/2 months

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  tolbert 
#1 · (Edited)
Dirk is a working line GSD. His father is from West Germany and mom from Czech Republic. Any thoughts on structure would be very helpful. He is 5 1/2 -6 1/2 months old in pics.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know too much about structure but from those pictures he looks a bit over weight. Generally you want to keep your dog on the leaner side especially if he is a 6 month old pup.
How much does he weigh?

Edit*
on a side note you might want a smaller prong collar too and fit it just below the jaw and behind the ear to avoid trachea damage

#7 ·
#9 ·
Also if you notice he is sitting sloppy as opposed to nice and square. I've noticed that with dogs carrying excess weight also could be indicative of hip problems. But then again dont jump to conclusions about hips. And definitely cut back on the food but not too abruptly.

#10 ·
Took him to vet this morning for 7 month check up- he's 81lbs and 26" at withers. I think I'll cut his food back 2 cups a day and see what happens. Thanks again for input.

Thanks everyone for feedback-it's great to have a place to get honest advice.

We feed him 4 cups of Fromm grain free dry dog food and 2 cups of primal freeze dried nuggets a day. So six cups of food daily. We feed him first thing in the morning and at 4:30-5:00 in evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.