German Shepherds Forum banner

Is my dog what I was told he is?

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Tulip 
#1 · (Edited)

I was sold my little pup a couple of days ago under the impression he was a mix between a German Shepherd and a wolf. But after researching what both breeds look like at his age, I have my doubts. If someone could help shed some light it would be great.

See less See more
#3 ·
Unless you saw the parents or have some sort of documentation, it's hard to tell. I'm always wary of anyone saying they have wolf hybrid puppies because in my experience 98% of the time, the puppies are just Shepherd/Husky/Malamute mixes of some kind. It's very rare that there is actually any wolf in the mix. Apparently there is a lot of money in lies.

#4 ·
Very cute! He does look like maybe he is mixed, but it's hard to tell with exactly what. Have you seen his parents in person? I don't know how else you could tell at this age.

p.s. The dog in my profile picture was supposedly a wold hybrid when we adopted him. Can't say for sure since we have no idea who his parents were but everyone has told me they think he is purebred GSD. He's huge. That's about the only thing different. He seems too calm to be mixed with a wolf. He's very lazy and low maintenance.

#5 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Because when I looked up a German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute mix it looked more like him. I just wanted to get other opinions and find out if I got scammed. I intend to keep him either way.

#7 ·
Honestly I would hope he's not a wolf mix at all. I volunteered at a wolf sanctuary for four years and we took in a number of low to high content wolf mixes. Even many of the low contents were insanely difficult to handle. Most of the actual wolf hybrids I saw people take in were given up to us because they just couldn't live in a household for various reasons (severe anxieties, dog aggression, human aggression, danger to children, escape artists, incredibly destructive). The only man I ever saw that was able to safely take care of his hybrids built an enclosure in his five acre backyard and poured a ridiculous amount of money into landscaping it into a really great stimulating environment for the two hybrids he had. They're a huge responsibility and a lot of people don't realize that they are nothing like regular dogs. Anyways you've got a great looking pup, looking forward to seeing more pictures as he grows up! :)

#15 ·
For a number of years I successfully shared my home with a number of wolf/GSD mixes, hi and lo content. Not as difficult as made out to be, if you are an assertive leader, but definitely not dogs. The photos posted by the op aren't enough to really tell anything as far as wolf content. The puppy is cute, but really, imo, doesn't even look like he could be from the two adult dogs, let alone have wolf blood. OP, love him for what he is, but I hope you didn't pay a lot because they told you he had wolf in him.

Susan

#14 ·
I agree and second what everyone else said. In the pic, your pup looks extremely young, like five or six weeks. He should not have left the litter until at least 8 weeks.

From his coloring, and the pics of the parents, he may have some GSD in him, but can't say how much, or what else he is mixed with.

#17 ·
Parent on the right: *might* have some wolf or coyote content but more likely a malamute or husky x GSD. The markings look a bit off to be all shepherd but that could be the lighting. If it is, it's working line.

Parent on the left looks half lab. Can't really tell without seeing the whole body but that dog looks like it might be gsd x lab, I definitely see lab in that dog.

Your puppy also looks very much like a lab. Lab mixes are charming, far better suited to life in society than wolf mixes.

#19 ·
I recently saw a pic of a puppy advertised somewhere, can't remember where, the cross was gsd/husky and he looked alot like the one you just got.

He's very cute, but it really bugs me when people (sellers) LIE about stuff:( I'd be pretty peeved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.