German Shepherds Forum banner

Almost 2 years old! Please Critique :)

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  OUbrat79 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Well I know in Kaiser's case he's certainly not to standard...he's 27" at the withers and 75 pounds (before he eats breakfast). He has light points on the inside of his legs, his front feet are a bit east-west, and he maintains his mother's feminine head. His long coat makes his chest appear to extend beyond his elbows but that isn't really the case. Maybe people are just trying to be nice instead of offering negative critiques? Or maybe they are at work ;) Either way I'll be patient. Its been so enlightening watching him mature and learning about the breed along the way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I can't critique either, but love the long coats. I think he's beautiful..

#12 ·
I wish I had enough knowledge to truly impart some. Handsome dog. I think I would like to see more angulation in the back but once again, the comment of someone who is "trying" but does not know enough to count.

#14 ·
Sorry. I have been dealing with horrible headaches, subzero temps and snow storms while trying to exercise 5 dogs. Sometimes I also miss the posts or don't have time.

High withers, but they go into a back that looks a bit soft. Good position and length of croup. Very good angulation in the rear. His coat is making it hard for me to visualize his shoulder, but looking at the movement photo, the upper arm could be longer and the scapula is very upright. I would like to see firmer pasterns. He could have a bit more masculine head, but I don't mind his color. His eye color fits him, nice set of his ears and good expression.

In movement he could use more reach and is definitely falling on his forehand while indicates a lack of balance in his overall structure.

#15 ·
You are awesome, thank you! I get migraines so I understand how frustrating and tiring any sort of headache can be. I hope you are feeling better (and staying warm).

Just a few questions. ..

What is a soft back?

What would make him more balanced (I'm not sure I've heard the term forehand either) ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
The impression of a soft back is because the back looks slightly dipped to me in the photos.

I would have to see him in person. A lot of time when a dog falls onto their forehand it is because they have a flat withers, but he doesn't. It also can be due to a dog having more angulation in the rear than in the front, which he does.

Just realized I needed to proof read my critique. I meant "....falling on his forehand WHICH indicates...." and not "....while..." :)

#20 ·
He needs a longer upper arm (lower part of the shoulder above the elbow) and then the scapula (upper part of the shoulder) should slant back more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.