Critique Zeeva - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Critique Zeeva

I think I finally got a self stack picture out of her...?

Critique Zeeva-photo-7.jpg

Can you tell me where her imperfections are and where she looks 'good' physically? Any prominent concerns?

I promise not to be sensitive about it. I think the best way to learn is on your own dog.

Do you need more pictures...?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nice long croup. Soft back that slopes down from croup to withers. This gives the withers the appearance of being sloping. Nice looking head with slightly wide set ears. Nose should be black. Good pasterns. Flat feet. Could use more angle on both the front and rear. Very pretty girl!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love these threads, there's always something to learn. Hopefully someday I'll be able to critique better, it's a learning process for sure. I think I've got feet and ears down pretty good.

Just wanted to say she's a cutie and ask if her nose fades out like that in the fall/winter and darkens back up in the spring/summer? If it darkens up seasonally she has what's called snownose. Looks like you keep her at a good weight, what are you feeding her?
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I love these threads, there's always something to learn. Hopefully someday I'll be able to critique better, it's a learning process for sure. I think I've got feet and ears down pretty good.

Just wanted to say she's a cutie and ask if her nose fades out like that in the fall/winter and darkens back up in the spring/summer? If it darkens up seasonally she has what's called snownose. Looks like you keep her at a good weight, what are you feeding her?
I haven't really noticed her nose fade but I do believe it gets lighter during winter. She had a black nose as a puppy. But I think you're right. She probably does have a snow nose. The fade is so slow it's hardly noticeable until I look back at her pictures from a few months ago.

She's been steadily on Instinct now after several kibble changes. I feel she's a bit heavy and I worry about her weight because unlike Smokey she'll eat her kibble till she passes out. She eats the recommended amount (maybe a little less on inactive days) but she eats as if she hasn't eaten for days every single time. I've never had a problem switching her kibble or being finicky. It's nice to see a being who is grateful/happy with the same type of food every single day c: even though I've to be careful how much I feed her...

I know I'm partial to her prettiness. But I still wonder where her flaws lie in terms of physique...

So what do you think about her feet and ears (minus the long nails; I've recently started clipping them (with suggestions from this forum!) and the quick is long so it'll take time for them to shorten)? c: No need to worry about saying the truth. I really would like to learn!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Nice long croup. Soft back that slopes down from croup to withers. This gives the withers the appearance of being sloping. Nice looking head with slightly wide set ears. Nose should be black. Good pasterns. Flat feet. Could use more angle on both the front and rear. Very pretty girl!
Thanks I'm partial to her...I hope you're speaking without bias lol
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hard to tell b/c of the angle and no stack. For me she is a tad heavy, the nose needs to be black, and I'd like a little fuller coat overall. I like that her head looks strong.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Hard to tell b/c of the angle and no stack. For me she is a tad heavy,
Are you looking to see the last few ribs, not enough tuck? (she looked good to me but like I said, still learning)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think her weight is ok for what I normally see among the typical non working / sport dog. She looks very soft (as in not hard muscled) to me. But I really don't see a dog that is really over weight.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think she is very pretty and I love her pink nose!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
So what do you think about her feet and ears (minus the long nails; I've recently started clipping them (with suggestions from this forum!) and the quick is long so it'll take time for them to shorten)? c: No need to worry about saying the truth. I really would like to learn!
I'd like to see her ears closer together but it could be the way she's holding them in the picture. Both of my dogs have wider ear-sets, Annie especially. (you can fly a 747 between them when she's tired) Here's a picture of two pups at the same age. You can see the difference in the spacing between their ears. The pup on the right has nicer ear placement IMHO.

Feet: RobK said she was flat footed, maybe he/she (???) can elaborate. Feet should be short and compact, toes held close together. (from the standard) I cropped a picture with Annie's feet (I think they're correct) but can't get it to load. Will try later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.