Critique Havoc please!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Critique Havoc please!!!

Havoc is just under 18 months and is starting to look more like a dog and less like a chupacabra lol. I am just curious to see if others are seeing the same things I do regarding his structure.

I think he could use a more masculine head (I haven't lost hope that it will fill out more#, he has a bit of a weak lower jaw #you can't tell unless his mouth is closed.) I think he could use a bit more neck, I realize the ecollar he is wearing makes this look worse. I find his front to be a bit straight overall. He has a nice topline, very short and steep croup. He has more rear angulation than I personally like. I think he could use more leg, he has nice tight feet and good pasterns. His pasterns don't look as good in these pics as he is kind of slouching since his ball is in front of him. He seems to look better and better as he matures, I know this is a bad age for a critique but it will be interesting to see how he develops. He seems to be a very slow to mature (physically) dog.

I did one where he is stacked like a "normal" dog, a head shot and the last one is him standing naturally on a hike. I know the stacks kind of suck but this is our first time
Attached Thumbnails
Critique Havoc please!!!-dogs-nov6-054.jpg   Critique Havoc please!!!-dogs-nov6-056.jpg   Critique Havoc please!!!-dogs-nov6-058.jpg   Critique Havoc please!!!-wasootch-ridge-007head-shot.jpg   Critique Havoc please!!!-headwall-lakes-030small.jpg  

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i need to google "chupacabra"??? looks good to me, scenery is nice too. sorry i don't know zip about croup length or secondary sex characteristics?? nice boy.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Love his color. In my humble opinion, he looks nice and "solid" and masculine to me. He also looks like he just has more growing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i need to google "chupacabra"??? looks good to me, scenery is nice too. sorry i don't know zip about croup length or secondary sex characteristics?? nice boy.
Chupacabra is a mythical blood sucking dog like creature, it's one of his nicknames because he is evil

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Love his color. In my humble opinion, he looks nice and "solid" and masculine to me. He also looks like he just has more growing to do.
Thanks PatchonGSD! He does have very nice coloring. I honestly wish he was a little less "solid" since I do agility, he is a nice medium size though. Yes he does still have a lot of growing to do, I am seriously worried that he is going to be rather tankish when he is done. (Not very conducive to fast agility times!)

Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Young male with flat withers, but otherwise good topline. Good croup that should be longer. Good angulation in front though his upper arm should be longer. Good to very good angulation in the rear. I would like to see firmer pasterns and tighter feet. Good secondary sex characteristics and good color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
Chupacabra is a mythical blood sucking dog like creature, it's one of his nicknames because he is evil

ok then
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nice young dark sable male. Good pigment, beautiful dark mask, good color. Looks to be nice brown eyes, dark nails. Flat withers, a little straight in the shoulder, short arm, reach will probably be restricted in the front, but I bet he has good rear drive - nice development back there. Feet are a bit weak and bridged in the front - if you stack him again, watch that and turn his feet in to minimize that east/west. Love the depth of the chest. Ok front angulation, good rear angulation. Topline a little flat because of withers - next time, stretch him out a little more in the rear so you can give you a little more angles. Stack him uphill if at all possible. Croup is a little steep, but good length. He is nice and dry. I love his weight - lean and ribby with a defined tuck - gorgeous. Coat is tight, but that's ok because you have him at a great weight. He needs more muscle though. He lacks a lot of meat and substance, specially in the neck, and chest. Still intact, I hope. Start hiking him uphill. Get him really pulling and working those chest muscles. Road work with the bike. Swimming is excellent. What kind of diet is he on? I think you are right, he will be slow to develop, but he could use more muscle imo. I think he has a nice, lovely head and will continue to masculinize as he matures. His expression looks tired in the stack photos. If you stack him again for a critique, make sure someone else takes the picture while you catch his attention while he is stacked. You want his expression bright, curious, alert and confident. You want his personality to shine through with head up, ears perked, tongue hanging and poised for action. You can definitely tell he is male and I like him. Cool dog, congrats

qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
He has more rear angulation than I personally like. I think he could use more leg...
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
...good rear angulation... next time, stretch him out a little more in the rear so you can give you a little more angles.
It's funny KristiM that you think he has too much angulation, while qbchottu thinks he could show more angulation. I suppose it's all subjective, but I have to agree with qbchottu. I don't find his rear to look overly angulated, and in fact I thought he could be a little more angled back there- specifically, just a bit longer in lower leg.

But I had a question about that:
Can a dog with a short croup be overly angled? It was my understanding that a short croup should REDUCE angulation in the rear. Is that not true?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), DJ, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang CA - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would not stretch him out to give him more rear angulation. I would strength him out more and stack him uphill to compensate for his flat withers and topline. He will need help to appear to have a better topline - the stretching in the rear and uphill stack are good tricks to minimize his negatives. I am a showline person. I love a nice topline - a stack looks distracting if it is not showing a few angles here and there. Same with expression - I need to see the dog shine through. Look at that 4th headshot - that's the dog I want to see in the stack.

*And I meant "so you can give HIM more angles" ...must be tired tonight

Last edited by qbchottu; 11-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.