What's the deal with closing old threads? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What's the deal with closing old threads?

Just because a thread was started some years ago does not mean that some meaningful conversation cannot continue. Why is every "bumped" thread being instantly closed? If it's a dead topic, it'll fade away as no one will participate in it. If there's something to be discussed, closing it only hurts the board. Even if it's about an old event, there may be new information available, or people may still hold an interest in the old news.

I can understand closing a thread that someone bumps just to ask a silly question that would be better suited to a new thread, but that seems to be an exception rather than the rule. I've never seen such "dedication" to closing every old thread as on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Crowned Member

I expected a mod or admin to tackle this. But as it has been a little while, I will take a stab at it.

Lots of us read just the new posts in the thread. When it comes up, we click on the button that takes us to the first unread post, and read on. We sometimes don't realize that the problem or situation is long over. Sometimes we say how sorry we are that so&so lost their dog. Or, we might tell someone to get off the internet and get to the vet NOW, only to find out that the dog in question was treated two years ago.

Lots of times the OP has been long gone, and here we are discussing it as though she is going to come back and use the information. Sometimes the threads are still informative, but more often, people will say, "this thread is old." They will close it.

If the thread is about a specific situation, it really isn't fair to resurrect it and talk about it, when the people/dogs in question are not aware that it is being discussed.

And if you are just bumping a thread -- typing "bump" so it comes into the active list again, then there really isn't new information. If you want to discuss cow hocks or megaE or something, probably better to start a new thread, as it is a whole different group of people that may be responding.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

I'd also like to keep an older thread going, if the topic is still relevant.
It is better to keep one topic going than have several threads on one specific topic(searches usually are what bring up an old thread).
If it is about a long ago question that is timely, then I can see why it may be locked. I think some admins are quick to lock a thread without actually reading it to see if there is still relevance.
It shouldn't matter if a poster is long gone, some threads have wonderful information/input that should be shared when it comes to certain questions. Many of the older members who use to post were very knowledgeable of the breed, I miss seeing their informational posts.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

I agree with keeping old threads active. Just because some people don't read the entire thread before posting why should those of us that do be punished.

Jason

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Master Member

I didn't know that old threads got closed.
When I have a question or need info on a topic, I'd rather search the older threads to find answers, rather than start a new thread.

I wouldn't think to re-start someone's old thread.
But if it's a good topic, it might be helpful.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 PM
Master Member

Looks like the admins/mods here prefer 15 threads on the "Search for a WL breeder in New England" instead of one continuous thread.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

Most of the bumps to old threads ARE from people not reading the dates first. I guess if the mods have lots of time (who has that), they can weed through and decide which are good threads to keep going and which ones to close.

Yes, I'm one that prefers threads from 4 years ago don't get bumped. Refer to them in a link if you want, but start a new thread.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

I don't like reading old threads as new. Someone just posted to a 2012 thread and I was thinking about replying until I noticed it is old and the OP is long gone.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

We tell people to go look at old threads all the time..so why would these people not want to discuss stuff on old threads as well??

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

We used to have a large knowledge base to draw from. Most of those people are not on here anymore. Those old threads have a lot of good information. I think the threads need to be looked at and evaluated before they are just locked out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page