German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking for breeder

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Deborahcat 
#1 ·
Hi All,
We lost our beloved red/black GS last week at 13 years. We are in Upstate NY. She came over from Germany. Vom Kleinen land was the breeder and they have now retired and we can't get in touch with them. They were not big business breeders, they had a handful of dogs they bred and the puppies were raised with the family. She was the happiest, sweetest dog. And beautiful example of red/black coloring. She had a slight overbite so not quite show quality, but she was beautiful. I attached a pic of her in a frisbee contest.
We are looking for a female puppy. We don't care about showing her. We just want a happy, sweet red/black GS. We are a bit leery of some of these uber GS breeders we've seen at some local (Ct) seiger shows. We are willing to import from Germany or from elsewhere in USA. We will actually be in germany in September. Can anyone make some suggestions on breeders to check out in USA and Germany?
Sorry if I'm not following some protocol here, I am new to this forum. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you are going to Germany, I would really suggest you look there.....there are a few people i know who may be able to refer you to someone there for a companion quality puppy.....a lady in MD who used to breed under von Silbersee is from Germany and connected to haus Dexel....

Lee

#3 ·
You are in upstate NY, it would be a shame if you did not check out Deb Zappia. She is in Marion, NY. I met her dogs and they seem great. Met a 12 week old puppy and this dog was amazing. Confident, pack oriented, ignored us (after initial investigation) and focused on them. Very impressed with Deb, Jodie and Tim.

On going to Germany for a dog. While there are good outcomes, I think most of the times I'm aware of, the dogs people get are of lesser quality with health conditions. One woman I saw at the vet had a female from "top champion" dogs from Germany. Had the dog shipped, etc. Well, the puppy had to have heart surgery at 6 months old. This is just one of the examples. Unless you have a reliable and trustworthy person to help you find the right dog, I would avoid importing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.