Breeder and Non refundable Deposit/Michigan - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Breeder and Non refundable Deposit/Michigan

I have place a non refundable deposit on a puppy from a breeder in Michigan. I am uncomfortable with the breeder since placing my deposit.

There have been some inconsistencies in some of the things this breeder has said to me...She is hard to get a hold of, and has been impatient with my questions even not answering some of the concerns I have.

If I place a deposit that is non refundable is there any way I can get it back? I'm sure that she would not agree to give it back.

I'm going to end up getting a dog from a breeder who is probably a puppy mill and hope and pray for the best unless I can get my deposit back.

No negative comments please....I'm beating myself up enough about this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM

How much? 500? I'd rather lose the money then be stuck with a possible nightmare dog
ausdland likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:17 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You can always ask politely - but it is really up to the breeder to refund the non-refundable deposit or not.

This is one situation where you just have to admit that you made a mistake and walk away (minus your deposit).

I'd rather be out a couple hundred dollar, learn from my mistakes, and try again than feel obligated to take a dog I feel is from a puppy mill, or is not right for me.
selzer, onyx'girl, LeoRose and 2 others like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

What changed to make you suspect the breeder of being a puppy mill?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
What changed to make you suspect the breeder of being a puppy mill?
It more then one thing...Its a series of events, without going into to many specifics..I'm just uncomfortable and feel like I have been lied to about a few things.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Crowned Member

Lessons are expensive sometimes. Been there, done that. A $500 loss is nothing compared to the vet costs you may/most likely incur with an unhealthy pup. Go find a reputable breeder. I personally will not pay a deposit before I know which puppy I will get. Makes for less options in finding a breeder but a deposit makes me nervous.
If breeders are so keen on deposits early on, to me that means that they are not sure if they can place all pups. Deja's breeder doesn't do deposits. If I were to cancel a pup, he would have people lined up or train the pup himself until the pup finds a home.
If I were a breeder I would be happy when people change their mind (to prevent a miserable home for my pup), rather than insisting they take the pup by holding on to the deposit.
Castlemaid likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 06-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabissrae View Post
I have place a non refundable deposit on a puppy from a breeder in Michigan. I am uncomfortable with the breeder since placing my deposit.

There have been some inconsistencies in some of the things this breeder has said to me...She is hard to get a hold of, and has been impatient with my questions even not answering some of the concerns I have.

If I place a deposit that is non refundable is there any way I can get it back? I'm sure that she would not agree to give it back.

I'm going to end up getting a dog from a breeder who is probably a puppy mill and hope and pray for the best unless I can get my deposit back.

No negative comments please....I'm beating myself up enough about this.

Thanks
Could you elaborate more on the issues? Any specifics? Are you nagging or legitimate questions?

I googled my answer
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

When you bring up your concerns on a public forum and there are negative undertones...then ask for no negative comments, what exactly do you want people to say?
Most "NON refundable deposits are just that. Always check out the breeder before handing over money to them.

I am in MI and know a few great breeders, and many who are not helping the breed whatsoever. I hope the breeder you invested in will show ethics and integrity and either give you your deposit back or sell you a great puppy.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You can always ask politely - but it is really up to the breeder to refund the non-refundable deposit or not.

This is one situation where you just have to admit that you made a mistake and walk away (minus your deposit).

I'd rather be out a couple hundred dollar, learn from my mistakes, and try again than feel obligated to take a dog I feel is from a puppy mill, or is not right for me.
This is the best advise right here.. you have ZERO right to a refund but you can ask nicely. If you walk away it's your choice. You are choosing to spend an extra $500 to go with someone you are more comfortable with and that's okay. I think it's natural to second guess your breeder selection while you wait for your puppy. If you do your research you can go back and look at the reasons you did select your breeder and feel confident again.

Best of luck
selzer likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Lessons are expensive sometimes. Been there, done that. A $500 loss is nothing compared to the vet costs you may/most likely incur with an unhealthy pup. Go find a reputable breeder. I personally will not pay a deposit before I know which puppy I will get. Makes for less options in finding a breeder but a deposit makes me nervous.
If breeders are so keen on deposits early on, to me that means that they are not sure if they can place all pups. Deja's breeder doesn't do deposits. If I were to cancel a pup, he would have people lined up or train the pup himself until the pup finds a home.
If I were a breeder I would be happy when people change their mind (to prevent a miserable home for my pup), rather than insisting they take the pup by holding on to the deposit.
Exactly this - I would rather walk away having lost a few hundred dollars than take the puppy just because and either be unhappy with my choice, or faced with years of managing a dog with health issues. There is a chance the puppy will be absolutely fine, with nothing out of the norm - and grow to be a healthy dog you will enjoy for many years. But without the support of a breeder, I wouldn't chance it. Every puppy is a gamble, but without a breeder you trust to turn to if something goes awry, its just not worth it, IMO.

I do not ask for a deposit for my puppies until they are temperament tested and chosen for their families. I want people to get the puppy because they WANT the puppy, not because they don't want to lose their deposit.

You can absolutely ask for a refund - word the message politely, maybe something along the lines of "Hi [Insert name here], thank you so much for all of your help thus far, however as I have been researching more and more, I sense that I may have been hasty in placing a deposit on a puppy. I feel like I need to do a bit more research in order to ensure I get the best puppy for me and so I can be the best home for that puppy. I hope you understand, I really do want to ensure a successful placement, as this is what would be best for all involved. Would it be possible to have my deposit refunded? I do know when we talked that you had indicated it was non-refundable, however I am hoping we can work things out."

If the breeder declines, then you will have to choose what will work best for your situation. Best of luck and please do post an update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page