Looking for trained GSD $10,000-$15,000 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Looking for trained GSD $10,000-$15,000

Hello everyone. I am searching for my first GSD. We want a family protection dog that is safe around young kids. I believe we prefer the European bred dogs. Looking to spend less than 20K. I've run across breeders that offer a warranty with their dogs which I like. Gunbil is 5 years! The 2 breeders that I am looking at right now are Gunbil in Colorado and Gatorlandk9 in Florida. Anyone with experience with these guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Anyone??
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:49 PM

What is your definition of trained? What are your plans with the dog once you get? HAve you ever handled a high drive animal before? HOw much time can you dedicated per day for training and excersise? Can you continue invest the time and money to upkeep the dog protection training?

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Knighted Member

I know basically nothing about buying a trained dog.

But I looked at the Gatorlandk9 website

I also don't know what they want for those dogs. I'm not too sure I'd pay much money for a "trained" dog that requires a ball in his face for his heeling video, or one who is still being lured with food (and both kind of sloppy even at that)

Then I clicked on the video for Yawvor and found a dog creeping along waiting for a nasty correction and cowering when the guy reached toward it. I was not impressed with the dog being petted by the woman either. Dog looked tense, drew back, then tried to sniff the ground and avoid the people altogether.

If I were looking to drop 10k on a dog it sure wouldn't be here.

OP, if people who sell adult dogs are anything like people who sell horses, be very very careful who you buy your dog from.
carmspack, Muskeg and Liffey like this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

Have you looked at Kraftwerk?

I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Kraftwerk has always gotten mixed reviews, so I'm not sure what to think. One thing most people agree on is that they are good at marketing and selling dogs for twice the price of what they are worth.

You should check out Mike Diehl.
Diehl's K9 Training LLC

I've no personal experience with Mike, but he comes highly recommended, and is trustworthy and honest. Contact him and discuss what you are looking for, he'll be able to help, or at least, point you in the right direction.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
What is your definition of trained? What are your plans with the dog once you get? HAve you ever handled a high drive animal before? HOw much time can you dedicated per day for training and excersise? Can you continue invest the time and money to upkeep the dog protection training?
So we don't want a really high drive working dog. Trained as in listens to voice commands. Good on and off leash. Doesn't bark at everything that moves. We will have time to give our dog good exercise and time/money for additional training.

I just want to make sure when we get the dog it is the right one for us. That is why we believe an older dog would be the best option. This will be our first GSD so maybe I just underestimate how great the pups can be. Just looking for advice.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I know basically nothing about buying a trained dog.

But I looked at the Gatorlandk9 website

I also don't know what they want for those dogs. I'm not too sure I'd pay much money for a "trained" dog that requires a ball in his face for his heeling video, or one who is still being lured with food (and both kind of sloppy even at that)

Then I clicked on the video for Yawvor and found a dog creeping along waiting for a nasty correction and cowering when the guy reached toward it. I was not impressed with the dog being petted by the woman either. Dog looked tense, drew back, then tried to sniff the ground and avoid the people altogether.

If I were looking to drop 10k on a dog it sure wouldn't be here.

OP, if people who sell adult dogs are anything like people who sell horses, be very very careful who you buy your dog from.

Thank you for the observations. Talking with them was kind of a turn off. I really appreciated how helpful and friendly Gunbil was. His dogs are beautiful also in my opinion.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Kraftwerk has always gotten mixed reviews, so I'm not sure what to think. One thing most people agree on is that they are good at marketing and selling dogs for twice the price of what they are worth.

You should check out Mike Diehl.
Diehl's K9 Training LLC

I've no personal experience with Mike, but he comes highly recommended, and is trustworthy and honest. Contact him and discuss what you are looking for, he'll be able to help, or at least, point you in the right direction.

Kraftwerk did have mixed reviews which deterred me from them. I will look at Mike's site and give him a call. Thanks!
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM

I curious, do you want a "trained" protection dog because you've seen some videos? GSD's are pretty good at protection right out of the box, all you have to do is raise them with your family. A lot cheaper too. :-) And visually, they're a great psychological deterrent.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page