German Shepherds Forum banner

Wanting Puppy in Future Worried About Back

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  deldridge72 
#1 ·
So I would like to get a puppy in the future (will be first time owner of German Shepherd), but from everything I have read the healthiest ones you should get are of working class and a straighter strong back. I have looked through a handful of breeders and they all seem to have backs that are severely declining regardless of what they advertise (show vs class). Am I just overthinking this or should I just continue to search for breeders that value health and structure over show?

#4 ·
There are several things to take in to consideration when thinking about the kind of puppy that you are wanting to get. Health and Structure should be high on that list. But you also want to find a breeder that is doing something with their dogs, and that the dogs are performing in area's that you are interested in. There will be a wide variety of puppies available in a litter, from over the top serious working prospects to laid back family companions, depending on the particular bloodlines, genetics and temperaments of the parents and the pedigree. Perhaps you can provide us with more information on what you are wanting to do with your first GSD puppy, and your location. Then we will have a better idea of possible breeders to suggest to you.

#5 ·
I am from Missouri, but am open to distant breeders. Basically what I want is a strong healthy looking dog (like a German Shepherds used by police or the military), excellent with friends, and an eventual family. Since I would be new to German Shepherds, if this means I would have to send it somewhere to help be trained, then so be it. I would also like for it to be an all black German Shepherd, but I have been told multiple times that color is one of the last things to worry about. I know this sound pretty vague still, but I am new to the scene and am trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks!

#7 ·
I am from Missouri, but am open to distant breeders. Basically what I want is a strong healthy looking dog (like a German Shepherds used by police or the military), excellent with friends, and an eventual family. Since I would be new to German Shepherds, if this means I would have to send it somewhere to help be trained, then so be it. I would also like for it to be an all black German Shepherd, but I have been told multiple times that color is one of the last things to worry about. I know this sound pretty vague still, but I am new to the scene and am trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks!
A lot of this is up to starting with good genetics and then commitment on your part. You will have to socialize your dog. You will have to train the dog, and learn to train if you don't know how. It may help to go to dog clubs in you area and get some advice. Find a good trainer and get classes set up for once you get the puppy. Send away training can be great, other times the dog goes and learns the commands comes back with the same issues since they weren't addressed in your own home. A lot of the working line breeders have all black dogs so you could let them know that is something you are interested in, if there is a puppy right for you in that color, or they will have a litter with potential black puppies that could work for you. You could look into getting a well behaved adult from a rescue or shelter as your first dog if you don't think you'll be able to handle a puppy.

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds like you're looking for a working line. I have both a working line and a West German showline. An angulated back (different than a roached back) does not mean the dog is not healthy. Good angulation in a WGSL that is not extreme can be very fluid and beautiful in movement. Also, whether a dog is WL or SL has no impact on health. The breeder and the individual pedigree is what impacts the health of the dog. There are healthy and unhealthy in both categories.

Anyway, sounds like you want a working line. Just had to point out that angulation, when bred well, has nothing to do with health issues.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spetzio
#8 ·
Hey there - I'm not sure where in MO you're at but someone on here recommended going to events at Purina Farms near STL. They have tons of dog events and there's a GSD specific one coming up in a few weeks. We are also in the beginning stages of looking and I thought that was a great idea! Will be going to some of those for sure.

#9 ·
Purina Farms hosts lots of activities. One of my puppy owner's lives close, and does a lot of things there - Dock Diving, Barn Hunt, Scent work, and he's a young black male. I would suggest that you do not get locked into a specific color. But understand completely though, as I love my solid black girls. Good genetics, solid temperaments, and official health testing, as well as doing something with the dogs should be key things to look at, when searching for your future pup.

#10 ·
Going to Purina Farms and seeing dogs in action is an excellent idea. Might consider ordering a book or two on amazon. I enjoyed TEAM DOG, by Mike Ritland ~ How to train your dog the Navy Seal way. Good read. I also enjoyed Training Your German Shepherd Dog, 2nd edition Dan Rice D.V.M. Part of the Barrons training series.

You will find lots of valuable info, from history of the breed, selection and training that should be useful now and in the future. It's an awful lot of work at the beginning. Getting a dog that fits your lifestyle, strong pedigree and investing the time and energy to get your pup started on the right track can be very rewarding for many years to come. Make sure you have the ability or a plan to house train a pup at the beginning. Working from home or a spouse that can assist makes this easier. Pups usually need to be feed 3 times a day and bladders are small and require frequent trips outside. GL

#11 ·
There's several good breeders of both show & working line German Shepherds in the state of Missouri-I suggest that you call and visit a few in addition to visiting events at Purina farms-all 6 of my shepherds came from within the state.

There's also at least a couple of GS Rescues that usually have excellent Shepherds looking for good homes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.