German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeder Recommendation - Companion Dog 10 hr from Denver CO

6K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am going to tell you everything I am looking for in a dog and hopefully you can recommend a breeder within a 10 hour drive of Denver CO. I understand the need to train, socialize, and exercise this breed to get the below desired results.

1. Relaxed Temperament is everything. I don't want a dog for schutzhund, or one that will be aggressive. Babies will be forthcoming. I want the look of a big dog but if it is aggressive i cant take him places and that defeats the purpose in my opinion. Think brewery patios in denver with lots of people and other dogs. I want to be able to take him to places like this after the proper training and socialization without having to worry about it. Random kids coming up and slapping it, stuff like that.

2. Energetic and good Hips once grown- Good hiking and outdoors dog in all seasons. Can handle up to 3 days backpacking 10 miles per day in the rocky mountain during the summer.

3. Smart - I want to be able to do lots of obedience training with the dog, possibly agility, smell training, etc...

4. Loyal and Bonding - Looking for a companion dog more than anything else

5. Easy nerves and not scared - I hate dogs that are skiddish and nervous all of the time

SO After hearing everything do you think that a working line from the correct breeder would meet my needs?

If so can you please recommend one that focuses on good temperament and companion dogs? Is there such a thing?

-Phil

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome! I do think you could possibly find what you are looking for in a very well bred GSD. But, I do need to point out that aggression is part of the breed standard. This does not mean that the aggression will be inappropriate, but it should be there. So, if you are looking for a dog with absolutely no aggression, I would probably not look for a GSD. If you are open to looking at other breeds that are loyal and great companions, perhaps broaden your search to include Collies, labs, goldens and maybe even Aussies.

If you have your heart set on a GSD, my suggestion would be to go out to IPO clubs (even though you don't want to pursue it yourself) and GSD clubs and meet as many GSDs as you possibly can. Talk to the owners about what their dogs are like, if they think the aggression they display is appropriate, if they are good with children and tolerate strangers and other dogs. Ask how their dogs behave at home. If you find a dog with a temperament that appeals to you, ask which breeder that dog came from. Then go from there. Good luck in your search!

#9 ·
Are there any breeders that focus on breeding out aggression more than others? People who make dogs for families and not police for example? I understand that they will still have some aggression but the key is to not be aggressive at inappropriate times like you said. I cant find anything other than people saying they use strict bloodlines and breed to the standard...

#5 ·
I do not know of them myself nor have I ever met or had any dealings with them but I have heard nice temp. dogs come out of von Black Forest Kennel in Colorado Springs, Co. They have both show and working line. The show side has introduced a new male from von Bad Boll kennel in Germany and they are reputable (Judge is the breeder) They are also repeating the last working line liter so you could see what you would be getting there. Again, I do not know them myself, just heard they were a decent kennel. You would not consider outside of CO.?

#6 ·
Traumwolfen in North Platte NE has very solid dogs....there may be a 3 month old female available now who is just what you are looking for.

Lee

#37 ·
Traumwolfen in North Platte NE has very solid dogs....there may be a 3 month old female available now who is just what you are looking for.
The litter Lee is recommending sounds promising. I would contact the breeder (Lee can help you with the contact).

As far as first time GSD owners getting a working line. That is all I have ever owned. GSD bred to work. I have never, in all these decades, placed a dog in a shelter or sold a dog because it was too much for me including my first GSD. A good breeder will place an appropriate puppy with a newbie handler or they will direct them to another litter. What the OP is looking for is totally possible.

Oops, forgot this thread was closed. Guess as an ADMIN I get the last word. :)

#8 ·
Honestly, I would not recommend a working line. Your first criteria is 'relaxed temperament'. The WLs are bred to be busy. That's not to say you can't find a mellow pup in a WL litter, it happens. But, WL pups, in general, will be happiest in working homes. You're much more likely to find your laid back pup among the show lines.

Your GSD will be deliriously happy if you do lots of obedience training together as well as the other activities you mentioned.

My caveat would be--don't limit yourself geographically. The perfect puppy for you may be outside of your range. Don't count out non local breeders, you could be missing out on a great dog.

I got my current pup sight unseen from a breeder with a stellar reputation and he's exactly what I'd hoped he would be.

#10 · (Edited)
OK, so if you are set on "driving only" I think I would go the extra mile to Alpine Kennel in Phoenix Az. You could fly there and drive back in a rental 2 days. I think would be 13 hrs from you. Hans of Alpine is the "brother" kennel to Jinopo kennel in the Czech. They know the lines like the back of their hand and can tell you which breeding to choose from. Two people here (husband/wife) each bought a puppy from Jinopo (had them flown in from the Czech). They are both retired police. They bought the dogs (two different litters) as home companions. The wife will do nose works and I think he may do tracking. Because I like Jinopo kennel I have gone down a few times to see the pups in class. They are calm self assured and unaffected by anything around them. No fear issues, very confident. Working lines can be great dogs in an active home and I have seen show lines that also can be hyper and with issues...Good and bad in both you just have to get a good breeder who understands the temp/drives etc of the paired lines. Had you been OK to fly a pup in, there are great options in Canada, NY and PA My boy, a working line with strong prey/food drives is unbelievable in his training and work ethic...but in the home he is the quietest dog I have ever owned...calm and now quite respectful at 26 mo. Best of luck!

PS I just saw the post of the aggression concern. Any good GSD is going to have a certain level...what is very important is finding a dog that has a great on/off switch. Very clear in the head. My dog takes his protection quite seriously but, lesson over, he is a sweet mush and will allow anyone I allow. If I walk up to you in friendship he will flip to heel position by you and press his whole body in...very affectionate. On the ferry he left my side to stay by a quadriplegic boy in a wheel chair the entire time. The boys parents could not believe it. He visits 2 x mo to my friend with Parkinson's Disease and will stay with him in a down for HOURS...on his own. His sister saved her owner as she took a stroke and now handles the grooming towels loading them in baskets and dragging them to another building...all before 20 mo An incredible litter because they sire/dam came from very knowledgeable breeders. So I really caution you to look for the reputation of the breeder above all....established knowing the lines.His sire is a top sport dog, world podium, so very high drive...his mother comes from working lines/etc but also was second in Canadian Nationals....she is their house dog, also sweet calm and loving. And he is my first working line...I had all show line prior to him. He is my best yet.

#11 ·
Have you ever had a dog before? Or a GSD before? If so, jumping straight into a working line can be disastrous for you and the dog. They are definitely not a beginner dog.
In #1 you say relaxed and in #2 you say energetic. They are not relaxed for the first couple years of their life at least. If you want a dog that does tasks and works and has good hips then a working line can fit that criteria but they are not relaxed and definitely not for the first time owner. That's how these dogs end up in shelters. They can learn to be relaxed at home but only after a lot of exercise and stimulation like tracking and bite work, and you said you do not want to do dog sports. Just going for walks is not enough. Also, they are naturally aggressive to an extent. If they don't have an outlet for their aggression then it can become a problem. I'm not saying they will attack family (though they do as pups in the form of nips and bites) but they may chase animals or growl and bark at the wrong person. The brewery patio thing has me concerned, I've had show lines that were very dog aggressive and suspicious of other people. Having some drunk fool come up and try to pet my show line german shepherd (who are supposed to be mellower) would make me very uneasy. If I were you I would get a nice working labrador retriever. They are a very underrated breed who can be very protective when needed, they are used in law enforcement and can go hiking with you and then relax at the bar while you sip your beer. But be warned, labs are known to bite a lot just like GSDs as puppies.

#12 · (Edited)
Focus on the experience and dogs of the breeder. A good breeder of any line can supply you what you specify. A less knowledgeable breeder and Internet breeders can get you in trouble. Good luck!
Ps The really class breeders make it a high priority to provide buyer with what they want....and inform prospective buyers if either they can't provide them with right pup because they don't have it, or the buyer has expectations that doesn't fit into their breeding program.

#14 ·
Is he a first time dog owner? If so, advising him to get a working line gsd will most likely end up with him re-homing or giving it away to a shelter. I knew people who wanted a big bad GSD but were in for a rude awakening when they saw how much work is needed just for them to behave "normal".
I'm just looking out for the dog. He wants to take his dog to crowded bars with other dogs and drunk people around.

#19 ·
Marsha, of Traumwolfen, is an active member here. Her username on the forums is @mnm if you wanted to ask her directly about future litters. Her dogs have bloodlines descending from Lee at Wolfstraum's dogs, and I would imagine both upcoming litters to be very similar to her previous 'L' litter.

#21 ·
LOL, coloradoshep, I hope you realize that Cliff is joking - he has probably worked, trained, titled, bred and adopted out more working line GSDs in his life than most experienced breeders on this Forum all put together. :thumbup:

#29 ·
I know enough not to recommend a WL gsd to a first timer who wants to take it to bars. I darn sure know enough not to promote the breeding of dumbed down versions of a once great breed because people like sable coats. This is exactly why this breed has went into the toilet over the past 2 decades. I can't be the only one who wants to protect the breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.