German Shepherds Forum banner

No Working line breeders in the country where I live, what should I do?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  KaiserAus 
#1 ·
I live in Dubai, and to be more specific there are "working line" breeders here but nearly all of them are amateurs and BYB. So the best option that I have is to buy from Europe. My concern is that if I import a puppy I will get scammed, whether by sending the wrong puppy, or by sending the right one but giving me wrong information about him.

So my questions are:

1- What measures can I take to avoid being scammed if I do decide to import? if there is any

2- Or should I fly there myself?

3- I don't mind flying to Europe, but will breeders give me their good puppy anyway even if I fly there? if not there is no purpose in flying there.

4- And where do I find the right breeder in Europe? Any recommendations?

#3 ·
Considering the kind of investment you are looking at in a dog, I believe flying out to meet the breeder and their dogs is worthwhile. It gives you a good sense of the temperments of the sire and dam, as well as a sense of the breeder that you may not get over the phone.

In regards to getting a "good pup," you're showing a lot of commitment by flying to another country to see the dogs so that says a lot.

I don't know much about WL breeders in Europe, but as Wolfy Dog said there's a lot of good information on this forum and if you want to also look at the US there's a lot of people here who can give recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: astrovan2487
#4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. Germany is 3 times closer to Dubai than the USA, so thats why I choose Europe. Plus they have better working line dogs anyway, in general.

So I guess I will have to fly there myself! Totally worth it, a healthy dogs will live around 15 years.
Any recommendations for breeders in Germany? or Czech Republic? I will contact sport clubs wolfy dog
thanks for the tip.

#5 ·
The only thing I will add to this is make sure of the time of year you are bringing your puppy into Dubai. I used to live there as well... and both myself and my husband worked at the airport... the animals can be kept waiting for a long time... you don't want a puppy stuck somewhere without AC in the summer!

#7 ·
Hi John_melt
There are very good breedings in the USA and Canada and you might consider them. I only say that because, though you will get a great pup in Germany or the Czech, they are not going to give away their best. That being said, there are many so these are just a few good kennels:

1. USA (Marion, NY) Olgameister Kennel (World Champion, Debbie Zappia)
2. USA (Millerstown, PA.) Von IBSO K9 (National Level Helper, Joe (Lindsay) Brockington)
3. Canada (Ottawa) Wendelin Farm Inc. (Working farm / Breeder for Top Sport/Police and Border etc/ supplys to K9 units)
3. Germany von der Wolfen (Thomas Lapp, SV Judge Top Trainer)
4. The Czech (Melnik, just outside of Prague) Jinopo Kennel (Jiri)

Any of the above are highly reputable breeders and in a class of their own...they all would have a lot to offer you.

#8 ·
I only say that because, though you will get a great pup in Germany or the Czech, they are not going to give away their best.
Does that mean that breeders in NA are more likely to give out their good puppies?
Anyways great tips and recommendations everybody I'll keep them in mind.
I'm open to more recommendations.

P.S: Thanks for the recommendations in the PM, unfortunately I cannot send a PM back because I don't have 5 posts

#9 ·
I have never bought a dog from Europe However even if you buy from the United States if the breeder is breeding for themselves you are not necessarily going to get the best puppy in the litter- I never got the pick puppy last time I bought a puppy-but I am glad like the one I got much better...also the same breeders on here get recommended over and over again...oh well all the best in your search

#11 ·
As wolfy dog said, pick of the litter is different for each person. You might not want their best dog, especially if you don't have the experience for a dog of that caliber. You need to make clear to whatever breeder you go to what exactly you plan to do with this pup, what you want from it. If you're looking for a very nice pet that is going to be protective, that's not the same as wanting one to do IPO with. Yes, a dog can do both, but again, it comes down to how much experience you have and how much training are you planning to put into it.

#12 ·
Hi Jhon_melt
I have bought from Germany, Canada and USA. What I was referencing to is that, for the most part, breeding and facilities/clubs, further support maintaining many dogs held back to see how they turn out vs here in the USA...for the most part. Our ordinances/laws etc restrict the breeders options. There are some large breeders with overcoming that but I am talking in the sense also that we are still developing and Germany / Czech is well established in their lines by many years and generations. So a breeder here with 3 or 4 litters may have a few good prospects but may be forced to give up a "potential keeper" What you will see here are some breeders placing their females in other homes to be able to widen that range. The female I got in Germany was one of 3 sisters held back....so I had to wait and ended up with a super dog. She was handled from A to Z by the breeder himself as he thought this might be his pup. In the end he took the other female and I was lucky to get her. So she was about 5 mo. My other male from Germany was the owners "keeper" but he fell sick and I was able to acquire him fairly young. My current working line male, whom I consider to be my best yet, I got out of Canada...his dam from a top Czech line and his sire is here in the USA and the Sire was orig. bred by a top kennel in Germany. So my options here gave me excellent results. All these breeders really great so I was saying just to look at all of the possibilities.

Yes, I do agree the "pick" pup will be dependent upon your intention. I was looking at IPO and had specifics I wanted to see in that pup...with the genetic assurance as best as could be given. But we are dealing with nature and puppies are always a gamble. For full assurance you would buy a tested young adult already screened etc and would be paying a much higher price. I still wanted to try for the pup and bonding experience. Best of Luck!

#13 ·
Good breeders give everyone a "pick of the litter" in the sense that they learn about you and what you actually need. I was going to go with a breeder in Canada (kind of regret that I didn't) and she told me that she observes every dog in the litter for 8 weeks and picks the best puppy suitable for what you need it to do, she runs tests specifically for what you need. I wanted a dog specifically for estate protection she told me exactly the traits that make a good estate protection dog, and that if none of the pups exhibit these traits then she would not sell me a pup from that litter and wait for the next one.
So finding a good breeder is extremely important.

#14 ·
Just a question.... not looking to start a fight or debate about what is better... but why specifically do you want a working line?
If there are no working line breeders in Dubai are there going to be IPO clubs etc for you to join, or what is it that you want to do with the dog?
I also know from experience that there will be long months in the summer where the dog won't be able to go outside, what are your plans for exercising such a working dog?

Again, I'm not trying to start something.

#15 ·
Along those lines, there are some other breeds that might be better fits for the type of climate you're living in. There are various molosser-type dogs and landrace breeds from parts of Africa and Eurasia which are better equipped for a dry, hot climate. Those type of dogs won't necessarily perform as well as the herding types in certain competitions and trialing events. But if you're looking for a protection dog or something to do some general training with, those other types might work well for your situation.

As Kaiser said, I'm not trying to dissuade you from a GSD either. If you really want one, go for it and have fun. Just keep in mind that a place like Dubia is not a GSD's natural habitat. They can work and train there, you just need to proactively look out for possible dehydration and heat exhaustion.

#16 · (Edited)
I didn't say that I want the pick of the litter, I was just wondering weather if good breeders in Europe will give me their worst pup (left overs) or a good pup (not necessarily the pick of the litter)

ut why specifically do you want a working line?
I was waiting for this kind of response, there is always this one person that will feel entitled to re-evaluate your decisions.

Anyway I want a working line the obvious reasons, why would anyone want a working line? My current GSD is from a pet line, he is 6 years old but has many temperament problem, my GF's dog is a mix that is about 8-9 years old and can has major hip problems; he cannot run. So in general a working line fits more the standard characteristics of a GSD: healthy, brave, balanced, friendly but confident, and versatile (can be a pet, can be an exercise partner, can excel in sports..etc).

If there are no working line breeders in Dubai are there going to be IPO clubs etc for you to join, or what is it that you want to do with the dog?
There are other stuff to do with a working line other than IPO

Thanks for the helpful tips everybody I'll keep them in mind

#18 ·
I was waiting for this kind of response, there is always this one person that will feel entitled to re-evaluate your decisions.

Anyway I want a working line the obvious reasons, why would anyone want a working line? My current GSD is from a pet line, he is 6 years old but has many temperament problem, my GF's dog is a mix that is about 8-9 years old and can has major hip problems; he cannot run. So in general a working line fits more the standard characteristics of a GSD: healthy, brave, balanced, friendly but confident, and versatile (can be a pet, can be an exercise partner, can excel in sports..etc).

There are other stuff to do with a working line other than IPO

Thanks for the helpful tips everybody I'll keep them in mind
For decades the WL's intimidated me as I assumed that they were too active and too demanding of training and exercise. Until I met our breeder who told me about his dogs, "they can do it all". And they do. She is balanced, stable and ready to go whenever I want to. Currently my mobility is limited and she has molded nicely to my level. I never want another type, hooked on WLs.

#17 ·
I would agree, after owning my present dog, that I would only ever want this type of dog...no matter where I would live. My dog is all black and I do notice he does not do as well in the full summer heat. So I do very early training/tracking and use indoor facilities and then work later as it cools off. I attend a lot of good workshops and they also adjust to indoor as needed. Only humans know what disciplines we are working in...dogs just know they are having fun. :)

I do believe, if you select a reputable breeder, there will not be a "worst" pup...I think you will find the genetic study on the part of the good breeder will afford a nice overall litter (apart from nature rearing her occasional head up)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.