German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking to add GSD to our family - Bay Area

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  lcgsd 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

We are looking to add a GS to our family :) We have looked at a dozen breeders online but are having a hard time decide the best one to go with. Here are some things we are looking for:

- Longcoat (Black and tan preferably)
- Dog that is not a couch potato (doubt many GSDs are like this) but also not a dog that requires an extraordinary amount of exercise
- We are a family of 4 living on a large property so the dog should be protective of us but also be able to take care of him/herself
- Most importantly, another family member who we can spend time with and treat like our blood.
- Located in CA (We are in the bay area) *this is not as important as finding the best breeder possible.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Hi lcgsd family and WELCOME! :greet:

Be very careful looking on line.

Always check to see that they have had their hip and elbows certified. Some breeders will also certify eyes, and test for DM. A solid temperament is very important.

Check out the 3 sites below to learn things you should look for in responsible breeders and their dogs.

There are qualified people here that can point you in the right direction.

Are you looking for a WGSL?

Here are some good reading materials!
(German Shepherd and Schutzhund Articles, by Wildhaus Kennels )
(click on each heading for information)

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

German Shepherd Guide - Home

Moms :)

#7 ·
Sounds like you're looking for a West German Showline dog based on your description. I know a few great breeders, one who I'm currently getting a pup from.

Have you seen any breeders or dogs that you've liked? The temperment of the dam and sire as well as their lines will influence the temperment of the pup, so you'll want to research the specific dogs as well as have in depth conversations with the breeder. There is a lot of great information on this forum about questions to ask.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. By "take care of him/herself" what I mean to say is the dog should not require many hours of exercise a day - I do plan on training and exercising the dog a good amount daily but would find it difficult to do so for many hours.

Does anyone happen to know of any reputable breeders here in CA for a longcoat GSD?

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.