German Shepherds Forum banner

Midwest Breeder Wanted/Recommended

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ctidmore 
#1 ·
Hello - I am looking for a breeder in the Midwest (8 hours from St Louis). Looking for an even temperament dog as she will be a house dog with lots of interaction with people. PM me if you don't want to post freely here.

Thanks

#3 ·
you can't get PMs until you have a certain number of posts.....

Lee

Reactions: maxtmill
#4 ·
Hi watchez and WELCOME!!! :greet:

There are many qualified people here to assist you! A little more info will help!

*What activities, training or sports do you plan on doing with him/her, if any.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

RESEARCH is VERY important.
Here are some good reading materials!
(German Shepherd and Schutzhund Articles, by Wildhaus Kennels )
(click on "Different Types of German Shepherds". This will help you decide what style of GSD you are looking for....Working Line???? Show Line???? as Watery Tart asked)

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

German Shepherd Guide - Home

Good Luck!
Moms :)

#5 ·
Marsha Seck has a couple of puppies in her current litter available -

Home

Sire is my male who is in training with Dan Cox - he is a super companion dog, Ok with confident cats, yorkies and loves kids! All are sables, nice pigment and very outgoing

She may be a bit further but will be driving to Kansas City I think to deliver one and ordinarily does meet buyers for expenses...

Lee

#6 ·
There are some excellent breeders of both show and working lines in Wisconsin, and those would be close enough to you. Kenlyn for show, Feuergarten for working.

It is out of your 8 hour radius, but I would consider also looking at the Minneapolis-St. Paul club if you are interested in show lines. You'd have a lot of choices there; it's a strong club.

#8 ·
I'm still looking. Family pet/working dog.

Prefer red with black or all black.

Don't want to ship -- will pickup the right puppy.

Me and my girlfriend. I work from home. Currently have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and want a playmate for him. I only believe in positive reinforcement training.

#11 ·
I would strongly encourage you to be openminded about a more balanced training approach. Positive reinforcement is awesome for teaching what TO do. Teaching a new skill works very well with this approach. I would even argue that it's not fair to correct when you haven't told the dog what to do in a way that it understands, when you're training a new skill. But certain behaviors (such as biting or jumping, stuff that you absolutely don't want to allow) may require a bit of a correction, and in my experience, the faster you nip certain things in the bud, the less forcefully you will ultimately need to correct. So while positive reinforcement is a great place to start, it can make the path smoother if you're openminded. Puppies are like kids and will throw you for a loop despite the best planning.

#9 ·
Austerlitz is in Ok. She just sent home her last litter. Has another on the way. Like their facebook page and follow how she raises her litters. The bar is set very high. Most puppy buyers are repeat customers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.