German Shepherds Forum banner

Lower cost breeder in NC/VA?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mycobraracr 
#1 ·
So my husband is finally willing to entertain getting a puppy in the next year. Our two kids have reached the age (5 and 7) that we think we can devote enough time to puppy training and, more importantly, our kids are old enough to treat a dog right, rather than, well, torturing a dog with tight squeezing or harassing them.

I have found a couple of breeders who meet my criteria. I'm looking for a german showline. I don't need the drive of a working line dog. We want a family companion only. We want a male (husband's preference, I personally would take either), and a puppy (he really wants a puppy to enjoy that stage, I want a young dog who will be raised with my kids and quite frankly, I've gone through losing two dogs at a pretty old age and would like to enjoy the young dog side of things again. My absolute major requirement is a healthy puppy. I've dealt with DM and soundness issues. I want to go to a breeder that does DM clear breeding and hip/elbow certification. I would love to have a long coated dog again (both of mine were long haired and I happen to love it). I have no desire to ever breed a puppy so limited registration or no registration at all is needed. Again, I just want the assurance that a sound dog is being bred. The dilemma is price tag. I'll admit, I hate the idea of dropping $2000 for a puppy because he's bred from a line of a hundred champions in the show ring. My husband refuses to accept that sort of price tag at all and thinks I'm crazy to consider it. Oh and he also thinks it's nuts to go looking for a puppy to be shipped cross country, so NC or VA, or possibly into SC would be my range limit.

Any help out there?

See less See more
#2 ·
you might find a bit lower than $2000 (I don't know your specific area) but what does your husband consider a reasonable price? You can get a working line dog that is an excellent family companion, with appropriate training and exercise, as long as you aren't looking for a couch potato.
Either way, you are likely going to be looking at at least $1200 for a working line, maybe $1500 for a showline dog though $2000 is definitely in the reasonable price range depending on the bloodlines.

#3 · (Edited)
A pet quality puppy will come from a quality breeding. The reason puppy's are the price they are, is that a reputable breeder will do all the necessary health testings, prior to breeding, and many will be titled parents which help to prove that the dogs have a good temperament, and are breed worthy. Certainly you can get much cheaper priced pups, but you will not get them from titled, health tested parents, and come with a contract and health warranty. It's better to save your money, pay more up front, know the genetics and history of the pedigree, and get lifetime of breeder support, than to get a poor quality puppy that you may end up spending thousands of dollars on, due to health and temperament issues.

#4 · (Edited)
I can find you a puppy in any area of the country for any price you want to pay.

I can find you a breeder anywhere in the country who has puppies whose parents have health testing.

Let's look at something other than dogs for a minute.....say you want a new vehicle - but you don't want to spend a ton of money.....but you want certain things that are important to you for valid reasons.

You want a car with good dependability - not one that will break down and have issues causing mechanics bills (think niggling health problems and vet bils)

You want good safety features. You don't want anyone to get hurt if there is some unforeseen conflict between your car and someone else on the road. (think temperament and ability to handle life and the common social environment - ie not be fearful or inappropriately aggressive)

Look at cars and your budget.....a low budget car is not going to be your choice if these things are important to you.....

Most people have a dog around a lot longer than their vehicle - so it is important to look at health and temperament as non negotiable, even if the cost is greater.

The cost of a puppy from a good breeding is not due to "champions" and showing - it is more for the care, knowledge and overall experience of that breeder - even if you think the cost of a puppy is too high and throw out the words "highway robbery".....most people don't know or think about everything that goes into producing that puppy - the trips, the misses, the vet bills....not just the training and titles....

I think you can probably find a showline pup or a quieter working line pup for 1500 - but still at that price, be selective.

Good Luck

Lee

#5 ·
This breeder is in NC and looks to be doing things right, health testing, titled parents, actively trains her dogs. About - *Givenhaus German Shepherds
Her puppies should be around your price range. I have personally not seen her dogs though.
Most decent West German show line puppies I've seen in your area are around $2000.
I really like the analogy that Lee made about cars, I've often thought the same thing. The average dog will likely be with you longer than your car and give you more enjoyment yet people are willing to spend $25000 plus easily on a new car but most think paying over $1000 for a well bred pet is ridiculous. I guess it's because the average person does not see the quality difference between a well bred dog and a back yard bred dog. Good luck in your search for a puppy, it's a lot of fun looking at pups, just be patient, visit lots of breeders, and do research

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.