German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeder VS Rescue?

7K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  SiegersMom 
#1 ·
I am about to move into a bigger place, so naturally I want another dog :p
I got Layla from a shelter and I have had so many issues with her (thankfully most are sorted but I still don't know if I want to go through that again). Now I'm tossing up wanting to look at a rescue or go the breeder route. My husband is pretty dead set against the breeder route for the whole "there are dogs waiting to be adopted" reasons. Ultimately it comes down to what I want (happy wife happy life). I know exactly what I want I want a black sable East German DDR Working Line. Now I know if I go through a breeder I can get exactly that, with a rescue its going to be fairly up in the air.

So what are your thoughts and opinions on the matter? If its breeder I need some good argument points, as well as good breeders near Dallas. If its rescue, which rescue would you recommend and what questions do I need to ask, what traits do I need to look for?

#3 ·
I say reputable breeder, get what you want. Life is too short to settle. You could adopt, but you would still want your dream dog.

You did not create the shelter / rescue problem. As some on here would say it is not your circus and not your monkeys. I don't necessary agree with those statements, but others are entitled to their opinions.

I would tell your husband:

People who choose to utilize reputable breeders are happier with their dogs and it is far less common for those dogs to hit the shelters, emphasize the difference between backyard breeders and puppy mills vs reputable breeders.

Since dogs from reputable breeders are far less likely to be rehomed, buying from these breeders helps to break the shelter/rescue dog cycle by keeping dogs out of the shelters in the first place. Now I am not saying that you would dump a dog that disappointed you, but many people do.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't try to pursued folks in either direction but I will challenge why we want what we want in some cases... and create awareness. just as all breeders aren't created equal, neither are rescues or the dogs circumstances of how they've ended up there, and neither are the suitability, experience and dedication of the individual owners.

Granted I live in California, and both the quality and quantity of GSD in our shelters and rescues is like no place I've ever seen before... as much as I think of going the breeder route, I've decided to save it for another breed. I truly believe that I can be as picky as I'd like and with patience - I can find exactly what I want within the California rescue system and as of now, all of my gsd will continue to be rescues. Not the case in most areas and I like to be realistic in my recommendations. But.... if you don't know, it's worth checking...

I don't discount luck, but 90% of the most common health or behavioral posts here have not directly applied to any of my dogs.

I'll never forget talking to a friend stating that I wanted my next gsd to be a black and (daaaaark, think dena & keefer ;) ) red long coated show line male under a year old who was good with cats and dogs... adding that I'd be willing to wait as long as it took... less than 24hrs later I met Tilden. Although softer than I prefer now... his temperament was exactly what worked for me at that time. He's also been the healthiest dog I've had. Owner surrender, raised with a nice family, given up due to divorce complications.

Just my experience.

If I could find a breeder producing baby Keystones, I just might change my mind.... I'm THAT into this dog! But as of right now, my best dog is a rescue... but I can also acknowledge that although I've had no issues, for someone unprepared for his type, things could have been a disaster, just as folks who purchase dogs who are more than they can handle.

#5 ·
I know exactly what I want I want a black sable East German DDR Working Line.
Can I ask you why that's what you want? Not to give you any hard time about it all, just what made you want one? Reading? Pictures? Something on the forum? There's dogs I've wanted strictly on their appearance, so I'm not knocking that.

#6 ·
Maybe give yourself a time line like a year or something. In the mean time research breeders while looking at potential rescues. If you find what you are wanting in rescue go that route, if not, then at the end of established time frame go with a breeder you've chose through your research.

#54 ·
But why should a rescue be the default and the OP only goes through a breeder if she doesn't find something suitable in rescue? A breeder as your first choice of source is totally legitimate.

Granted I live in California, and both the quality and quantity of GSD in our shelters and rescues is like no place I've ever seen before... as much as I think of going the breeder route, I've decided to save it for another breed. I truly believe that I can be as picky as I'd like and with patience - I can find exactly what I want within the California rescue system and as of now, all of my gsd will continue to be rescues. Not the case in most areas and I like to be realistic in my recommendations. But.... if you don't know, it's worth checking...
It's so different here. There are some breed specific rescues for GSDs, as well as shepherds that come through all-breed rescues. But given the list that my husband and I compiled when we said, "Okay so we want to go ahead and get a dog - let's think about what we actually need or want from this dog," it became evident in about three seconds that we were talking about an 8 week old puppy from a breeder and that was the only thing we were talking about. I did circle back and check PetFinder, and what I wanted simply did not exist in rescue here. You're a serious anomaly in my area if you have an intact dog, so overall people are likely not letting oops litters happen, which is good for dogs. The puppies that do come into rescue are usually transports from other parts of the country. Actually, a fair number of the shepherds in rescue around here were transports. But if I was waiting for exactly the dog I have - which was exactly the dog I wanted - I'd still be waiting three years later if rescue was the only option I was willing or able to consider.

#7 ·
Have you spoken to any gsd specific rescues in your area?

I went with an all breed rescue and it turned out great. But if your needs are super specific a gsd rescue might be able to hook you up.

Alternatively, go to a reputable breeder get the exact dog you want and donate time, money, supplies to your local rescue. There are a few near me asking for specific things that are running low. Rescues sometimes have issues that aren't solved by getting a dog from them.

#8 ·
I picked out my first dog, Scout, from the shelter because I felt bad for him. He was nervous and irritable. He growled at my boyfriend and raided the cat box and peed on our Christmas tree. And the pole in the basement. And just about every other stationary object in the house.

Four months later, I wanted to get another dog but oh god, not from a shelter because I couldn't deal with that BS again. Scout was a lot better but far from a model citizen. I got a puppy from a breeder. Mom was a wonderful calm 4-year-old Lab, had all her health clearances, puppy was practically guaranteed to be a future therapy dog because of her fantastic genetics.

Two years later. Scout is the certified therapy dog. We are members of a K9 SAR team. My Lab puppy is a maniac. I love her, but it's true. She'll probably never be a therapy dog but we'll keep trying.

My lastest pup, Sitka, is a GSD from a rescue. I did NOT pick out the dog I felt sorry for. I picked out a calm, confident dog who liked both me and my family.

I would make a very strong effort to find what you are looking for in an adult dog from a rescue. Then, if after months and months of looking you haven't met a dog you clicked with, then you don't need to feel guilty about going to a breeder.

You can look on petfinder.com to find GSDs in rescues and shelters close to you. Be honest with them and explain the traits you are looking for. You clearly know the traits you're looking for, since you are confident you can find them in a puppy from a breeder.

#17 ·
I didn't mean that she should, I'm sorry, I was thinking of myself when I typed that. I did feel guilty buying a puppy from a breeder, because I volunteer at a shelter and the most common reasons dogs end up there are because the people -

a) moved and couldn't take him
b) didn't bother teaching him manners so now he's "out of control"
or
c) decided to start a family and don't have time for him anymore

Oh, almost forgot the best one,
d) the dog's old so now he's not fun anymore

I'm not against breeders or anything (if there were no breeders we wouldn't have GSDs!), I just wanted to say that there are some very nice dogs in shelters and rescues. Sometimes you have to look for a while before finding the right one. Breed rescues are generally a better bet than shelters (as someone pointed out), since they pick and choose the dogs that go into their group.

#10 ·
It sounds like you need to decide if you want your dream dog now or sometime in the future. There are pros and cons to both. I chose a breeder. I knew exactly what I wanted. And to be fully honest, I went with a possible color in mind and came home with a different color. I chose the puppy that was the best fit for me and my lifestyle. And I couldn't have brought home a better puppy. If you go with a breeder, do it because of wanting the solid temperament, not for the color. You may see the perfect color puppy at the breeders, but it may be too much dog for you, or not have the temperament you want, or many other things. Be honest with the breeder about your life style and what you want to do with your dog and what you're happy with in a GSD. Let the breeder guide you by the right temperament puppy, not the color of the puppy. If you're not wiling to do it that way then I'd probably suggest going through rescue. I'd rather see you happy with the dog that lives with you.

#11 ·
You have no idea what you are getting from a shelter. They don't evaluate GSDs very well. You can get an excellent dog from a rescue, but it could come with baggage. You can get a near perfect dog from a breeder, but then it's up to you to train it. We see all the time people here who get puppies and have problems. I rescued for a long time, started as a foster and decided never again. But having a WL puppy hasn't been without challenges. There is no perfect dog. I suggest you insist on a puppy if it won't damage your marriage, but if it will and your marriage is more important than a dog, let your husband choose. This isn't as much about the dog as about the balance of power and compromise in your relationship. We can't choose for you.

#12 ·
Seems like a man would enjoy having 'Real Dog' and having a puppy to train and bond with instead of some basket case from the pound.

#13 ·
I like Nigel's suggestion... I have the same question as Steve, I agree with many others and despite my post, MAWL is absolutely correct, hopefully I didn't imply differently.

Nurse, I seriously laughed out loud... you're so far off it's comical.

#14 ·
Rescuing is wonderful if you decide to go that route again. But I don't think you should feel guilty if you decide to go to a breeder. Just make sure that you go to a reputable breeder. One reason I have chosen to buy from breeders is because I have a baby, cats, and other animals in the house. It just seems easier to introduce a puppy than a full grown dog with a lot of unknowns. Someday when my kids are older I would like to foster for a rescue to give something back to the breed, but I'm sure I'll always have a GSD or two from breeders as I really enjoy bringing up puppies.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that there are multiple GS rescues in Dallas. They'll almost certainly have some nice dogs that have been fostered, whose personalities are well known. You might see what they have, and if it's what you want, before you decide.

Also, check with Texas Star Rescue in Longview, TX -- they're an all-breed, but they have a deep love for GSDs and Mals, and they pull large numbers of them out of high-kill shelters Louisiana shelters. They're good people.
https://www.facebook.com/texasstarrescue/

I can tell you that from Louisiana, GSDs show up in huge numbers in shelters as adolescents: people who bought them as cute puppies get a rude awakening by the time they're 6 mo. old and chewing up everything in the home. Most of them just need house manners and basic OB.

#19 ·
Now you all....I knew I'd get (mildly) flamed for giving my honest opinion. But I was a vet tech before I was a human nurse, and I have worked in kennels and volunteered in animal shelters. I go read on other dog sites, believe it or not. So many people are posting for help for multiple problems with their dogs-- and what do you know? Its often rescue dogs and/or novice owners. Just my observation. Sure I feel sorry for shelter dogs and wish them well. Its just that I have only one dog, want only one dog, and by golly its a GSD. I raised her myself bred from working lines. There are multiple reasons to buy a pup from a good breeder. You can evaluate the parents mentally and physically, study their genetic background and health history and have someone to advise you who is knowledgeable of the dogs.

#20 ·
"So many people are posting for help for multiple problems with their dogs-- and what do you know? Its often rescue dogs and/or novice owners. "

A) How many shelter dogs/byb dogs exist vs well bred dogs?

B) Is someone who puts the time into researching pedigrees and breeders likely to ask random folks on the internet for help or go to a trainer?

I think there are more reasons that shelter dogs seem to have more problems than being "basket cases."

#22 ·
If she doesn't look, how will she find a dog?

If I wanted another dog and wasn't sure, I would start looking for breeders to see what is out there and at the same time foster for a rescue group. If I didn't find a dog I liked after six months of fostering, I would get a dog from a breeder.

#23 ·
There are pros and cons to getting a puppy/dog from either a breeder or a rescue. My only advice if someone goes with a breeder is to make sure they are a good breeder, and not just someone who thinks that all you need to know is "boy dog + girl dog = puppies to sell".

Personally, I'll always have rescues, but I also want to own at least one well-bred dog in my lifetime.

#24 · (Edited)
...most of Layla's issues are sorted. Instead of looking at it from a position of not wanting to have to go thru that again, think, is it the right time for a second dog? Regardless of where it comes from... a puppy is going to be very impressionable to any of Layla's unresolved issues. Am I also correct that she's under a year?

New/larger places and the opportunities they provide can be exciting, but allow your current girl to mature and be the dog you want her to be. Going back to Nigel's post... plenty of time to see what shows up at the rescue while researching possible breeders.

#25 ·
Here is my 2c.

On my 4th GSD now. 2 have been rescues. Of those 1 came from a kill shelter and I knew absolutely nothing about him or even GSDs for that matter when I adopted. Knowing what I know now I can look back at him and say I am reasonably sure he was a working line dog based on his build and his color. He was a great dog, with no major issues. He could have been a way greater dog if I had had half a clue but some of how great a dog I think he was is based on how clueless I was and how well he did anyway despite that.

2nd rescue was from an all breed rescue and was being fostered. I feel most if not all lf what we were told by the woman who ran the rescue was not true. He did have some sort of major problems but we were able to correct them and he was a once in a lifetime dog. I miss him every day.

My other 2, the 2 I still have now, both came from breeders. No major issues with either of them. Both amazing dogs.

I would happily go either way again, adopt or buy from a good breeder. I sort of try to even it out, if I buy one, I rescue one. Not because I think buying a dog from a good breeder kills one in a shelter, but I do know dogs are out there desperately needing homes and if I can help one then I want to.

#27 ·
I have 3 rescues(1 from Craigslist on the way to the shelter, one from the shelter, and one found on the side of the road)

The first one(from CL) gave me a run for my money. She was only 12 weeks but my first pure GSD. Nothing she did was anything more then energetic puppy stuff. Othef then having hip dysplasia, wonderful dog with a great temperament. I decided that I wanted another GSD, so I started talking to a breeder, then a tripod GSD popped up at the shelter, I went to see him but we didn't click, I can't explain it(he later found a good home), but while at the dog event they told me another GSD was at the shelter. So I drove to the shelter and found Midnite. I did not like the look of him at the time, but his temperament was out of this world. It took a while to get him out of the shelter(red tape--like they didn't even know he was on the floor and he was at the shelter for at least a couple months). He was leash reactive, but we got past that with intense training. After awhile I briefly spoke to the breeder again(checking on a breeding for way in the future) and I'm not kidding within a month I found my youngest on the side of the road. He has a little bit more of an edge to him, but he is a good dog(my shadow--super attached).

So needless to say i think you can find whatever you looking for either way. I understand how the right dog can find you when your not looking. I figure as long as I do not speak to the breeder, another GSD will not pop up....just kidding. I've had really good luck with rescues, but I do put a lot of trainjng into them in the door. I look at them as a blank slate, I don't know nothing about them, so I train them to be how I want them to be. That has worked out unbelievably well.

Reactions: CatChandler
#31 · (Edited)
regardless of what you decide...

Argument points: getting what you want, stacking cards in your favor, supporting responsible breeding programs & practices which is still supporting the breed.

Breeders in Dallas: do a search on the board, keeping in mind that you may have to travel well outside of Dallas to find what you want... I feel like requests for Texas breeders pop up every month on this board. And the bigger question - what are you looking for in a dog outside of coat color? Help us to help you.

You'd research reputable rescues just like you'd research a breeder.... look up reviews, check their Facebook pages to see what past adopters are saying.... not just about their dogs but the ease of working with the organization, honesty, breed knowledge, procedures, suppprt...

What traits to look for - the same traits you'd like to see in any adult dog. Not just the standard traits that other people say (after all, who says they want a bad temperament or unhealthy dog??)..... think about what's important to you? Along with the normal suggestions, in my first dog I wanted one who was social, highly adaptable, forgiving, bonded, protective. In my next one I didn't focus on any of that.... I wanted a more mellow type.... gentle, tolerant, easy going. more recently I wanted a higher energy, confident dog that was dog neutral, food motivated, biddable...

#32 ·
Are you seriously thinking of doing any kind of advanced training or dog sports with the new dog? If you are, I would no doubt get a puppy from a good breeder. If you just want the dog for a good pet I would get a rescue. Either way a rescue or a dog from a breeder may have problems that will be difficult to deal with so you may want to think awhile before making any decision.

#33 ·
Both my dogs were rescues, but that was because I did not feel I had the energy or stamina to deal with a puppy, not because I had anything against going to a breeder. Both of my experiences were very positive, I ended up with two great dogs, one a yellow Lab (who I had put to sleep at almost 14 because of failing health) and Newlie, my current German Shepherd.

Have you spent any time with working line dogs? If you haven't, would that help you make up your mind? I think that regardless of which way you go, do your research and ask plenty of questions and be honest with yourself about what you want. You and your husband are the only ones who can make this decision.

#34 · (Edited)
I went through a breeder for my first dog (hound). He was simply awesome in every way possible. Temperament, socialization, intelligence, training - a lovely dog all around. When you go with a good breeder, I think the odds are heavily in your favour that your puppy will hit all the breed landmarks as he/she matures. Especially if you research & select the breeder carefully and let them chose the right puppy for you. You also have to be patient because this means you might not get a puppy from the litter you're waiting on.

I adopted my next two dogs from the shelter. One slid into my life like she'd always been there. We were a great fit. My current dog required a lot of work, training, patience, and time. Thankfully, he's great now but for the first three weeks I thought I'd made a BIG mistake. Took a full year for him to really settle down.

If you go the shelter route, you have to be able to stay objective. Otherwise you might end up with the wrong dog for you. GSD rescue groups might be the better option. Their dogs will be in foster homes so you'd get a more accurate read on behaviour & temperament. Some may have been pulled from shelters, some as owner surrenders so some research there will be needed too.

Like everyone else has been saying, there's pros and cons to both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.