German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you visit the breeder?

5K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  BigHemi45 
#1 ·
Let's say you're getting a GSD puppy and you've chosen a breeder that comes highly recommended by people who know what they are doing. Do you still go visit the breeder before you get the puppy?

--

This would be my first GSD so I doubt I would have any clue what to look for. They seem to understand what I am looking for from the small novel I wrote them via email and have no problem with placing a dog in an active pet home. I feel really good about my choice and don't really see what I would gain by making the trek out there in person (I have a disability that makes driving long distances alone really hard and I have no one available to come with me until mid-September). Would it be absolutely ridiculous to pass on visiting the breeder?

I can say which breeder specifically but I'm curious as to what people consider the general guideline.

#6 · (Edited)
I am lucky to train with a breeder at their property. So it is always great to meet potential puppy owners as they usually come and visit on training day. Even if there aren't pups, people will visit to meet the dogs and watch the training(there are club dogs from the breeder, but also dogs that are not from the breeder).
I agree with Jenny, if the breeder is recommended and has a great program, then no reason to travel across country to get a pup, but many people will do just that because they do want to see and learn more.
The breeder I train with is very, very generous with knowledge and experiences and hides nothing.
I guess it depends on the type kennel you deal with, some are more commercial and have staff, so the point of going visiting one of those would be lost on me....not much to 'learn'.
I also think good breeders would like to meet a novice owner in person, to make sure they match the right pup to them, or decide that another breed may be better for that person and decline to sell a GSD to them. GSD's are not for everyone, and some people are better off with a different breed.

#7 ·
What I liked most about meeting her, was meeting her dogs. Seeing their behavior and temperaments, showed us what we could expect from one of her puppies. There was not one dog, that reacted badly to guests on the property. They greeted us, then went about their own business. So reassuring to us.

#12 ·
It's always better if you can go out and see the breeder and dogs, but then you limit yourself to getting your dog from a local breeder. There may not be an excellent breeder in your area.

One caveat: seeing dogs on their home turf tells you very little. The same dog who is confident and outgoing could be a shuddering wreck out in the Real World.

I've done it both ways, including having an adult dog shipped from Europe sight unseen. I had complete trust in the person with whom I was working.

The new pup I'm getting will be shipped.

I'm relying on the breeder's reputation, which is stellar. Also, I'm looking at the pedigrees and titles on the dogs as well as videos of them working.

This is the first pairing of this particular sire and dam, so it's more of a risk than a repeat breeding would be.

In any case, limiting yourself to local breeders is also risky. What if all you have locally is byb? We drove 900 mi for my current male, though I had already made my decision and paid for him based on reputation, pedigree and how active the breeder is in SDA.

Just do your homework, get good advice from someone who knows what he or she is talking about and you should be fine.

#13 ·
If it's possible, sure, go meet them, meet their dogs! For me, it's not a cliff hanger to 'have' to meet them since a few of my dogs have come from long distances making it impossible for me to do so...

I have always had good luck and gotten just what I've wanted/didn't want from breeders whom I haven't met in person and who have picked puppies for me.

Now, when I want to add another gsd, I will always go back to Masi's breeder because she knows what I want/don't want, has healthy dogs, and even tho we've never come face to face (because of distance),,she is a good friend and always there for us..

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice folks! I tend to be a bit utilitarian so I was thinking "I know they're not a BYB or puppy mill, what could I learn from going out there? people get puppies flown out to them all the time!" but it sounds like it's worth the visit to see the adult dogs and talk to the breeder in person.

#15 ·
I went and met my pup's breeder, a 4 hour drive, but it was worth it for my peace of mind. Also since I was given a choice between two of the males my visit did influence my choice. I think if you can go visit it is nice to meet a breeder in person and their dogs. I would avoid any breeders that don't want you to come visit, or who want you to meet the pups off site. I almost got a pup from a breeder that had buyers meeting the puppies offsite, and then was doing pickups at a pet store chain. That among some other red flags steered me away. If I could not visit it wouldn't be a deal breaker with a breeder I trusted, but if it's possible I probably would visit because who doesn't love playing with a bunch of puppies!

#16 ·
I have driven from MI to TX, VA, and WI for puppies. Only one of the puppies that I have bought over the years did I have shipped to me and I had known her breeder for many many years. It was nice meeting the breeders in person, meeting the dam of the litters and seeing the other littermates. A couple of litters I should have said no after seeing them and lived to regret that I didn't' walk away immediately so you do have to have some backbone to go visit. :)

Reactions: gsdluvr
#17 ·
Sounds like you have found a good breeder if you have referrals from experienced people you trust. That being said I would still go visit the breeder if possible. It will help you build a more personal relationship with the breeder seeing them face to face and they would get a better feel for what pup is a best match for you. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the breeder to see the pups before they were ready (3+ hours away) and then also meet with the breeder and owner/trainer of the sire at their training facility to pick up my puppy(2hours away). We are now training with her sire's owner on a weekly basis and my pup is doing very well. Wether you decided to visit with the breeder or not you are in for a lot of fun with your new puppy, enjoy it as much as you can because they grow up fast!

#18 ·
"One caveat: seeing dogs on their home turf tells you very little. The same dog who is confident and outgoing could be a shuddering wreck out in the Real World."

I don't believe this. I think there would be something that would stand out in a dog that can't handle normal interactions in the real world.

#19 ·
If you would like to go visit, listen to your gut and find a way to go see them.

I don't have any issues with breeders who ship a puppy, or buyers who have a puppy shipped to them. Totally cool.

But - for me, personally, I prefer meeting someone. Talking. Shaking their hand. Listening. Watching their dogs. Watching them *with* their dogs. I've done this both times I purchased a puppy, and I have never had any buyer's remorse or doubt.

If someone I already (personally) knew had a puppy I wanted on the other side of the country, I'd have no problem mailing a check and picking up the pup at the airport.

I also agree with other commenters, spending time with the breeder(s) must surely offer them some additional insight into who YOU are, and whether or not one of their dogs would be an excellent match.

#32 ·
Perfectly stated. There is so much that can be gained by visiting. There's nothing wrong with shipping a puppy or buying sight unseen if you've done enough research that you feel comfortable with that, but you can gain a lot of insight that way. Plus I enjoyed the process so much more as a result of those visits.

#22 ·
One thing you definitely can see in the home environment is how the dam (and sire if he is owned by the breeder) act around strangers. I know a breeder who never would allow people to see the sire of her litters. He was "too protective". I knew the dog. He was a nerve bag. Very edgy and unpredictable. They don't need to be ultra loving, but they should be neutral and not freaking out about people with hackles up locked in another room.

#23 ·
That is so true. I wasn't positive about the litter we bought from until the breeder insisted we get down on the floor with the mother, with her puppies in the room. The mother was sweet and friendly, so we decided then to buy from her litter. Our puppy has the same personality. Had the breeder not been with us, I also have no doubt the mother would have barked and shown some protective instincts. She is still a German Shepherd. We met all her dogs and they were all cordial, although some were not quite that outgoing which was fine.

Although, from the look on the mother's face, I think she wanted OUT! All those growing puppies climbing on her all the time. It might have been relief, too :smile2:

#26 ·
I have had very few people actually visit before deciding to get a puppy....even some of the ones who are close.....I have shipped pups all over the US and I have made a few mistakes in placement - actually based on recommendations from people FOR the buyer!!!!

The dogs speak for themselves - not every breeder has a facility to visit....my dogs live in the house, in a normal neighborhood...nothing fancy or special....I co own two females who live with other people....

Often the worst situations are the big commerical impressive facilities! If the breeder has good dogs, people are happy with their pups, has accomplishments on the parents, health testing etc - it is not as important to visit as it is with a total unknown

Lee

Reactions: mnm
#27 ·
Yes. The breeder could have great dogs, but just not what you are looking for. I want to see the dogs work in training, not trial. See what qualities they have. What little things I like or don't like. I visited 2-3 clubs to watch dogs and found a breeding that was being repeated that I really loved so I knew exactly what I was getting.

#31 ·
Strangers invited into their area by the breeder. I've seen too many dogs of all breeds that you can't trust with strangers. My mom has a dog that has to be outside or I won't go into her house. I wanted dogs that I didn't have to put away in kennels, or constantly watch when we had visitors. I don't think a stranger can come into my house in the middle of night, all **** would break loose with these two.

Reactions: Mudypoz
#34 ·
Not an owner here, but soon to be owner
I picked from a picture he sent (based off coloring and how he said the personalities are) and am going to meet the pup and her parents this Sunday and give a deposit. I wouldn't feel comf not meeting the pup and her parents prior because it's a good judge of demeanor. I don't want a pup who's totally not into myself or family and ignores us or is overly aggressive for some reason or there are obvious health problems. Meeting prior to picking up ensures you know what/who you're getting when the pup comes home

#35 ·
Not an owner here, but soon to be owner
I picked from a picture he sent (based off coloring and how he said the personalities are) and am going to meet the pup and her parents this Sunday and give a deposit. I wouldn't feel comf not meeting the pup and her parents prior because it's a good judge of demeanor. I don't want a pup who's totally not into myself or family and ignores us or is overly aggressive for some reason or there are obvious health problems. Meeting prior to picking up ensures you know what/who you're getting when the pup comes home
AND lots more with just meeting to ensure you know what you are getting, even then it is or can be a crapshoot. Health problems may crop up later, so make sure the parents were health tested,and whatever previous litters they have had have been looked into. Not often do many breeders have the stud dog on property to even meet. If they do so, then I want to know if they use outside studs in their program and not just the convenience of owning a stud to use with all their bitches.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline
#36 ·
Usually, the only ones that come to look at puppies are people that are local, in that they are 100 miles or less away. They don't pick the puppy, I pick the puppy that will be bet suited for what they are wanting to do with the pup. I have only had to take one puppy back, due to the buyer getting several more small dogs and not devoting enough time to their GSD. I suggested multiple things for them them to do, but they ended up neutering and finally wanting to give the dog to someone else. I went and picked him back up.

Several puppies are shipped by air, but for many, I actually drive part way and meet them or all the way and deliver the puppy. When I do this, I bring along the mom, and possibly siblings or one of my other dogs. As for the father, I do not own a male, I travel to do the breeding with my females. Several times I have driven half way across the country to do the breeding. Because, I want the best possible match for my females.

If you have the capability of driving and meeting the breeder, parents, puppies, then I would certainly recommend it, but if you don't, ask for references, vidoe's, etc... to get a feel for everything.

#37 ·
I made the decision to visit the breeder. I wanted to see how her dogs were and whether she had anything to hide. I did meet others that had dogs from the breeder and they highly recommended her. It also reassured me that I was making the right decision to get a dog from this breeder and I was doing the right thing to get a GSD next.

It is worth the investment and time to do so, however, I wouldn't hesitate to get a dog from a breeder that someone highly recommended or if someone had the off-spring nearby that I could visit.

#38 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! I did go visit the breeder and it was really neat to see all the dogs in person and talk to the breeder about what I am looking for/what my current dog is like. They had their holdback from the same parents' previous litter on site as well as other related dogs which was great. We then talked about the litter they have planned next, just in case none of the pups from this one are suitable, and I was shown those parents and some half-siblings. It was worth the trip!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.