German Shepherds Forum banner

Re: Reputable Midwest-US based GSD breeder - family pet (not show or working)

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
Re: Reputable Midwest-US based GSD breeder - family pet (not show or working)

Hello,

I hope to add a nice GSD puppy to our family. Our #1 concerns are overall health and temperament as (she) would be 100% family pet & companion.

We like the typical overall Black/tan or all black GSDs. showing or working the dog aren't main concerns but sound health & personality are. We like the normal length coat (not long hair GSDs). We have a 7-year old daughter and 7-year old (calm) beagle.

We also can't afford a 2K+ puppy. But, the above concerns are important.

Any suggestions for a GSD breeder in IL./MI./WI. or IN.?

Feel free to PM me if that is better.

Thanks,

Ron

#2 ·
Sorry, my advice would be to save your money and check out solid breeders. There are some excellent show line breeders in Wisconsin and Minnesota. I don't have direct experience with WL breeders, but there are options and I'm told there are good options.

Good breeders of any line are breeding for sound health and personality. You can't achieve as much with unhealthy, spooky dogs, relative to sound, stable ones. These breeders have goals and need healthy dogs to achieve them. They are the ones producing dogs likely to be excellent pets; not every pup in the litter is going to have the conformation or aptitude to be a show champion/performance prospect/IPO prospect. But like their star littermates, they should have the same tendencies toward solid health and temperament.

I had my nonshow dog at a show recently, and I was talking to some people who had similar priorities to yours. They wanted to know why they should be looking for high caliber breeders. They really liked my dog - joked about wanting to just take her home instead of buying a puppy - and it was nice to be able to show off a dog who was not a show dog but whose personality is every bit as nice as the dogs in the ring and who handled herself calmly and collectedly in a crowd of strangers. In other words, this dog is a pet, and part of the reason why she's such a good pet is because she shares genetics with these other high quality dogs.

#5 ·
Hello,

I appreciate your reply and will check out all potential GSD breeders. But, I know we are not able to get a 2k+ puppy. If you have any suggestions for any breeders in our area, please let me know. Sound health, temperament and a good family dog are my family's concerns, not working or showing her. Thanks.

#8 ·
Sorry, that really is your best bet. I cannot recommend any breeders whose dogs I don't know, and the ones I do - all fall into that range because of the care and effort they are putting into the dogs. You do not have to show or work your dog in order to benefit from a breeder who shows and/or works their dogs.

Rescue is another option, but if you are set on a pup from a breeder, you would do well to save and wait.

#6 ·
I agree with waiting and saving up money. I got a puppy from a backyard breeder and 2 weeks later after vet visits and multiple rounds of medications for a seemingly healthy puppy, I now had a $1500 pup. The breeder never told me she was sick and at the price I paid I am sure the breeder never took the puppies to the vet. She is an amazing pup; she is smart and loving and eager to please. But after what I went through, I can't guarantee she will be healthy as she ages.
If you don't want to spend the money, you can find a breeder that is okay. Just make sure you have a nice chunk of change laying around for any crazy vet expenses. That includes your beagle too if the puppy has anything contagious.
From now on you can bet I will save and shell out for a reputable breeder.

Have you thought about a rescue? I know you said puppy but adopting could be a great experience as well.

Whichever route you take, good luck!

#7 ·
You can find an adult GSD with a good temperament from a reputable rescue organization at a reasonable price. If you are on a budget, this is your best bet. What you see is what you get as far as a stable dog.

You can get a cute puppy for cheap on the "outside," but you don't know what you are getting on the "inside" of the dog.

Many people believe that it's how you raise the dog, that's what the temperament will be. That is incorrect thinking that can lead to tragedy. For example: You were so good to the puppy, you don't know why it bit the neighbor's child, You are being sued by the neighbors and have a law suit that you are going to lose against you, a child has been injured, your own family is crying their eyes out because the dog is being put down.

Stay and check out this website. The above kind of stories are on here. GSDs are defense breed dogs. They are not golden retrievers.

#9 ·
While the bulk of this post is true...the red is a poor ending.....GSDs are NOT "DEFENSE BRED" dogs - they are herders, guardian and protective when bred correctly but should have the abilty to recognize and discern between a threat and a neutral situation!!!! That is if they are WELL BRED by a breeder who understands his dogs and his bloodlines.

A poorly bred dog - ie a dog bred by random convenient selection by someone who is breeding with a primary goal of making money who has little to no knowledge is really just a genetic crap shoot - like a random computer generated lottery ticket.....how often do you buy them and how often do you get the return you expect/desire???

Temperament is 99% genetics - people can screw them up for sure and people can condition like crazy and imprint better behavior - but the basic dog is there at mating.

If you can go a bit further afield, Traumwolfen in NE may be an option - she has produced good tempered dogs, with some working and titled, and many doing registered therapy work....some of her dogs come from my bloodlines and I have met quite a few so can vouch for the temperaments.

Good puppies can often be had for less than 2000 - but not a whole lot less.

Lee

#11 ·
Thanks for the further clarifications and education, Wolfstraum and Wolfy Dog :) I was thinking "fostered" when I posted. I guess that's why I said a good rescue organization.

My dog is at a new vet today for PennHip evaluation because my regular vet doesn't do PennHip. While filling out the paperwork, the new vet stopped, looked at Simon calmly laying on the floor giving him direct eye contact, and said, "This is a really good German Shepherd. The only other shepherds we see here like this are the police dogs that come in."

OP--that is the type of GSD a good breeder gives you--one that gets lots of compliments for being stable and calm. Wolf Dog said, "A good GSD is magical." I totally agree.

#12 ·
Hello again,

I did consider a rescue GSD but I would be concerned about possible "bad habits" that she/he may have such as dominance, etc.

Our daughter is young and our beagle is small/calm. I am concerned about the healthy balance & safety of our entire family.

Thanks,

Ron

#15 ·
I would also recommend just saving that little bit more to get a really great puppy from a top-notch breeder.

Think about it this way: Let's say you're planning to spend $1800 and get a puppy Sep. 1st. After you have the puppy, let's say you'll be spending $100/month on regular care. Now, let's say you saved the $100/month starting in September (or before) and by January or March, you can get that really fantastic puppy!.

In the long run, having a puppy from a really great breeder who does all the health testing they can, breeds with purpose and consideration of both sides of the pedigree, and will be a resource for life, is really worth the relatively greater investment. (It is to me, at least.)

Reactions: stepkau
#16 ·
Hello again,

I really appreciate all of your replies. I understand what you are saying on "cost" of getting a good pup for our family.

If anybody has any suggestions, especially for someone in the midwest area for a little higher, maybe $1,500 or so, I would appreciate the info.

I prefer to be able to drive & visit a potential breeder (even 4-6 hours, not a big deal).

Since I can't reply to my PMs yet, please feel free to e-mail me at: rjwerneth@gmail.com

Thanks,

Ron

#17 ·
Hello again,

I really appreciate all of your replies. I understand what you are saying on "cost" of getting a good pup for our family.

If anybody has any suggestions, especially for someone in the midwest area for a little higher, maybe $1,500 or so, I would appreciate the info.

I prefer to be able to drive & visit a potential breeder (even 4-6 hours, not a big deal).

Since I can't reply to my PMs yet, please feel free to e-mail me at: rjwerneth@gmail.com

Thanks,

Ron
When I was puppy searching during 2008-2009, and then again in 2014-2015, the legitimate breeders that I talked to in this area (Wisconsin - Iowa - Illinois) were all priced between $1,800 and $2,500. If you're willing to spend $1,500, I would recommend you take WateryTart's advice and save a bit more so you're making your decision based on quality rather than price. Like you, I have always preferred to meet someone in person before making the careful decision and commitment to put one of their dogs in my home for (hopefully) the next decade or more.

#21 ·
Sounds like you're looking for a craigslist dog. Best of luck finding one, those backyard breeders are slinging who knows what for a buck. It would be within your best interest to do as much research before you end up making a decision that you will have to live with for the life of the dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.