German Shepherds Forum banner

Why do some top breeders prices very so much?

10K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  SentinelHarts 
#1 ·
I was looking at a VERY reputable and recommended breeder and their puppy prices were at $2,000. Then I saw another breeder who's prices were at $6,000. These were NOT trained pups. Just wondering why

#5 ·
I don't do any serious dog sports/trials/competitions, but considering the time and effort and cash it takes to 'prove' a working-line shepherd is breed-worthy, those prices and range, sounds right to me. I actually thought a reputable bloodline would start at $2000 so I guessed right.

#7 ·
I have to agree with JAX08. It's that old "It depends" thing! However, GENERALLY if you see a price of $2000.00 to $2500.00 there is some assurance that this is a reputable breeder and you can guess that there has been proper vet care, pre-natal care, puppy wormings, pet vet checks, etc. Believe me if the breeder does all of that correctly plus not releasing the puppies until 10 weeks there is not much room for profit at $2000.00 to $2500.00. If you count the hours spent in care there is no profit!!

Reactions: LuvShepherds
#8 ·
A trained, titled adult dog can be around 6000$ - but some breeders are very savy at marketing and making their puppies sound like they are somehow super-canines that poop gold and sell them for that price - it's just a marketing gimmick to make people think that they are getting something special. No puppy is worth 6000.

In general, Working Line puppies from titled, health-tested parents will be around 1500-2000$, Show lines around 2500 to 3500, give or take a couple of hundred here and there.

#15 ·
so many people see ads/websites for good breeders for 1800-2500 - so they decide they can get those prices too.....

recently saw one - WGSL 3-4 gens back, some BYB ??? dogs on both sides of dam - $1800 - both dogs under 2, both had same sire - and when questioned - the "breeder" informed me that this was line breeding, and ensured that the pups would be very good!!!! No hips, elbows, DM, CGCs - NOTHING!!! and she had already sold 3 pups of 5!!!! One of those interested contacted me after the questions posted and was panic stricken because the seller was a good saleman!

I can see some savvy shyster asking $6K for a pup from imported parents - they look at the big time show kennels and give it a try!

Problem is that there are some very very good salemen out there - both knowledgable and just looking to cash in

Lee

Reactions: onyx'girl and Nigel
#17 ·
wonder if this is the one local to me...first breeding and the dogs are not titled or health tested. And the litter is a WL/SL cross, $1800 for pups.
She seems to think she will have no problem selling, yet they won't go to working homes to prove what she bred is good, they will go to pet homes with nothing to prove her new program. And she said her next litter will go for $2500 because by then, they will have their OFA's done, lol. People who buy into the buzzwords of champion or imports should do more homework.

#19 ·
Prices also seem to vary depending on what part of the country one is in, but $6000 is highway robbery. :surprise:

#20 ·
My sister has been researching for a few years. She has looked here in Canada, the US, and over in Europe. All pups from the lines she likes/pairings all range about the same.

She decided to go with a pup from the US, which after importing fees (flight, etc.) and exchange rates, it will cost her almost double of a home bred pup.

But...she is going with a breeder with history of as successful breeding program, sound working dogs and exceptional reputation in the breed with a pup from the exact pairing she was hoping for.

#26 ·
If buyers would do their research and look at the reasons for a breeders program, they may not be willing to pay what that breeder is charging. Or vice versa. It is all about homework, and not taking the shortcut on the buyer end as much as the breeder end. If one thinks a puppy is worth more than 3K, go for it. I would not frown at that as much as I would someone buying a $1000 pup from a breeder that is breeding dogs with no pedigree info, not health testing or working their dogs(or understand pedigree matching whatsoever). But....to each his own.

#30 ·
Oh yeah - I agree!!!:smile2:

#28 ·
They can charge $20,000 but not all do. The pup we are getting is only $2500 and I have spoken with other people who have bred to the same sire and they didn't charge that much either. One of the reasons the owner of the sire imported him was because he is such an amazing example of what a German Shepherd should be that he wanted to bring him over to help improve the breed over here. Well you can't very well improve the breed if no one can afford to breed to your dog.

#29 · (Edited)
When I was in Europe in 2014, I was offered a pup from Pike for 9000 Euros, no training nothing, didn't buy. Another friend of mine bought a male pup from Chris for 17000 Euros with training to BH, he also bought a female pup from Bolle for 24000 Euros with training to IPO3 and one breeding. Really nice high drive dogs with good temperaments and aggression.

Expensive yes, but those dogs are amazing and wouldn't look out of place at BSP.

#33 ·
I don't ever try to ask for a price reduction for a puppy. But then the breeders I've dealt with charge a fair price and it would be kind of disrespectful to even suggest it.
Some breeders will give a refund after titles/health tests are done. And most prefer working homes if the dog is a good prospect.

#34 · (Edited)
IMO, $4500-$6000 is well into a green dog that tests very well from strong, proven lines. That's a huge crap shoot for a puppy, considering you can get a puppy from many very reputable breeders with great support for the life of the dog for much less. As an example, Nate Harves at Sportwaffen has a Cero Jivo repeat breeding on the ground for $2500 a pup.

#36 ·
Responsible breeding, done right is very expensive. Step one: acquire the right breed worthy foundation stock. They have to be titled--another expense club dues, parent club dues, traveling to trials, equipment, etc. Then there is getting your conformation rating. And your health clearances. They don't come cheaply.

There is the heartache of actually doing the breeding. AI is getting common to breed to the most perfect stud. That takes plenty of money. Then there is ultrasound to confirm pregnancy. And taking care of mom, including upping her nutrition.

You have to create a whelping area. And pray nothing goes bad during delivery like a stuck puppy or dead puppy, nothing that requires an emergency trip to the vet.

Eventually the pups will eat solid food--more money. The spending never stops.

Then you can figure out how you are going to get top dollar for your puppies in hopes of breaking even.

Experienced breeders, please feel free to add any expenses I left out.

It costs a lot to produce a healthy, sound, well bred litter with stable temperaments. And they cost you money every day you keep them instead of finding suitable homes, of which there are precious few unless your dog is a super star in his or her discipline.

Whew. That wore me out.

#38 ·
Galathiel said: Frankly, if someone tried to haggle the price of the pup, I would wonder, as the breeder, what other shortcuts would they take in the future to save money. No vetting? Lowest grade food? Etc. I wouldn't sell them a pup personally.

I guess that is possible, however, using my life as an example... I am on a fixed income, I am SAR (certified) which is very expensive in constant training and gear, let alone deployment. My dogs are fed the best and very well cared for (somebody's life depends on it (besides they are my babies)), every 'free' dollar goes to their well being often sacrificing things I need for them.. Saving for a dog takes years and the pup is bought with the mind and purpose of SAR (trailing and HRD).. If a breeder is willing to knock any bit of price down to aid in the purchase, it is considered a donation into someone else's life who will be saved when the pup finds the lost soul... It isn't to be disrespectful to the breeder, especially as many breeders give discounts to military (who get paid for what they do (and many thanks to them for their service) unlike SAR), so asking if a discount is given is a question that has good reason to be asked, imho...

If a breeder took offense at the question and didn't want to sell me a pup after meeting with me, knowing what I do and why I ask.. Well then I probably don't want to deal with the breeder ... Now, that being said, I wouldn't ask every breeder, this would be well after I had narrowed down bloodlines, breeders breeding what I was looking for, telephone conversation, email, meeting in person (if able) and I felt that the question was appropriate because it would be received well as they would know my background... It would never be my first question etc... Just my thoughts

#39 ·
I have heard of established breeders donating pups to worthy service organizations such as K-9 or therapy dog groups. Perhaps there are breeders who donate a pup now and then for SAR.

The only discount I've ever run across was for military/veterans.

Given the high cost of breeding a sound litter, I would not expect breeders to negotiate discounts. If they're good at what they do, they don't have to--demand for their pups is high.

If a breeder is willing to negotiate price, ask yourself why? Why aren't there enough buyers for this litter? The best breeders I know have deposits on pups before they're born.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.