German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeder Recommendations

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve Strom 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and starting the search process well in advance. My husband and I are looking for a GSD puppy to welcome into our home likely in spring of 2017. We have one Pomeranian and a cat and expecting our first child later this year so want to plan well in advance.

My Pom does obedience, has done rally, and is active in agility and I'm very well versed in dog training and dog sports.

We're looking first and foremost for a GSD that will be a family member. One that has an off-switch and likes to work but is comfortable chilling at home. I'd like to do obedience and then likely agility (mostly for fun vs competition).

We live in Southern California so would prefer a breeder in CA or driving distance from us. Willing to travel but would prefer someone a bit closer to home.

Any recommendations on breeders to reach out to/websites to start the research process would be great.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to you!!!

Congrats on the upcoming baby!!

Not California or even that close, sorry! Cynthia Tidmore is actually from California and has family she visits, it is possible you might be able to work something out given the fact that you are starting early. She is worth a look either way. She is also a personal friend and I can vouch for her honesty and her breeding program.

My dog pictured in my avatar comes from Tidmores Rising Star in McAlester, Oklahoma. All of Cynthia's dogs are great family dogs and very athletic! Mayhem is currently running in AKC Masters, just earned her GSDCA Performance Award of Merit, and is just a great, fun dog!

These are primarily West German Showlines. I like the WGSL as I think they are a good middle of the road dog, More drive than the American dogs and a little less than the working line dogs, and in many cases better suited for a family. Every one has their opinion on that, this is just mine.

Website: Most of her updates are on facebook and there is a link on the right side of her page.

http://gsdnet.org/

#4 ·
Thank you for this information Kayos and Havoc! We are not stuck to just CA but it would be nice to meet the breeder/see their dogs before making a decision so that's why I mentioned it. :) I will check out Cynthia's kennel page and appreciate the referral!

#5 ·
Thank you mycobraracr! Eagle Rock is not too far from where we are and her dogs are beautiful and I love the full descriptions on how she's been involved with the breed. I know one is supposed to put color last on the list but we are drawn to more of the black pigment in the coats (like a lot of her dogs have) and I personally like the look of the working lines more so as well but need to make sure we're going with a line/dog that is not going to be full drive all day every day as it will be a family companion first and foremost. I'll shoot Anne an email!

#7 ·
Admittedly, I am not familiar, but the structure of their animals isn't super great. Some sway backs, some roachy, some fine boned....they're all over the place. Don't seem to have any real goals.

They wouldn't be someone I'd be interested in, personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.