German Shepherds Forum banner

Advice on these Breeders

6K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Xeph 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster here.
In the process of choosing a breeder. Came across these
Schraderhaus
Eichenluft
TrueHaus
Boeselager
WildHaus
Sapphire Shepherds
Any more suggestions?

I have experience with GSDs. I want a working line pup for companionship/family protection, and possible IPO work.
I want a pup with medium drive who won't go crazy at family functions, my schedule allows me to work part-time so I will definitely have time to train and exercise the dog.
I live in a big city, so I need a pup with good solid nerves who won't react to loud noises with fear. I want to keep it under $2,500. I am willing to ship, but if its not too far from NJ, NY, PA, CT I'm willing to travel.

I hope to hear some feedback from anyone with experience from these breeders or any other good ones and the types of dogs they produce.

Thank you guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
A breeder of high drive dogs can still end up with a medium drive puppy, so I would select the breeders you like the best, contact them and ask if their dogs ever produce medium drive dogs. We got one from a breeder who has both in the litters, and knows enough to pull out the high drive for working homes and the rest for pet homes. A medium drive dog can still be an awesome competitor. But in my experience, the only way a dog won't go crazy at family functions it to train a lot and socialize in those settings. A well trained dog won't have the opportunity to be wild or crazy.

You have experience with GSDs but have you ever had a WL puppy? I'm only asking because I had never had a male WL puppy, which is a whole new world of dogs. We ended up with issues I never even dreamed possible and I've owned a lot of GSDs, both puppies and rescues.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Wildhaus is a good choice. Met several of their dogs and I liked them all.

Why don't you go to a few clubs and watch the dogs? See what dogs you like and find out who the breeder is. Look on the USCA website for clubs near you.
I am reading a lot about how czech lines are too wild for families. I dont believe everything I read, every dog is different but many people have said this. True? False? Kinda?

#6 ·
I have a 3/4 czech 1/4 ddr girl, and while all are different, mine wouldn't do well in a laid back environment..She's 8 years old and still very very active, but has a nice 'off' switch once matured..

I would suggest checking out watcher engel in northwest ct..My females breeder just got a puppy from them and really likes what she got and the owners she dealt with.

#8 ·
I have a pretty good balance of lines

Czech, Belgian, East German, West German

it really depends on the way the pedigree "fits", and what is consistently expressed - I have bred to 2 Czech imports - they were both half Czech, half Belgian kennel lines....one litter was extremely high energy and drive - only 2 pups and I kept one, and the other went to a SAR handler (sire was started in sport, 3 littermates IPO3, but is active certified SAR dog) but dam had half Belgian lines, bringing a very high drive sire line in as well.....super sweet girl with great drives and spirit, great house dog, but a dream dog for a competition home - and the other litter was different, with same mix of lines....3 males working - 1 just titled a couple of weeks ago, 2 other hopefully get to trials sooner than later, a female with an HGH.....bred that female to a Czech dog with maybe 1/8 WGR lines and super super nice pups....a few in pet homes, a couple showing great potential in IPO....and those with novice handlers....

where you live and what resources you have available are as important as the lines of the pup you end up buying

Lee

#10 ·
With whichever breeder you choose, IMO requiring Imprinting the dog from birth DAY 1 by the breeder IMO is Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. The DNA is Yuuuuuuuuuuge. What you do with the dog after you get it is Yuuuuuuge...

The activity performed by the breeder day 1- when you get your puppy is so critically important I can't emphasize it enough!

I am a customer paying money for a dog, please discuss with me my desires and let's work together to create the best we can. TYVM here is your 2,500.00

#12 ·
Shraderhaus is in Tacoma, Washington. Jean produces nice dogs. The ones I've met from her kennel have been great dogs.
Wildhaus produces great dogs as well though I don't recall where they're at.

I have a male out of Weberhaus kennels in Kansas. I wouldn't worry so much about the lines except to help you narrow down a breeder but you're best bet will be talking to the breeders about what you're looking for to decide if they're a fit or not, especially since they're a part of your life once you get a dog from them.

It's an interview process for both you and the breeder.

Reactions: Julian G
#16 ·
Sucessful breeders have their own methods of raising pups - if you are interested in a pup from a breeder, if you talk to people who have pups from a breeder, and you are willing to put down money, then you need to be confident that the breeder will do the best job of raising them that they are able!

At day 1, no pup is allocated to any buyer or even to the breeder.....while I handle pups daily - multiple times a day usually, awake, sleeping, playing - I want to see the personalities and dynamics of the litter emerge, not manipulate them into something they may not be.....

Dictating to a breeder what you want done with your pup may just not fit the way the breeder does his litters, so be prepared for some rejection when making these kinds of demands..... :) :)

Lee

#21 ·
The more activity experienced the more learned they become, and the faster they are able to fully develop as the result IMO. This imprinting experience contributes to that result it continuously compounds both positive and negative depending on the experience.
I guess the scientific term would be Bio-sensory development developed by the US military, for pups aged 3 days to 18 days.

I'm sure it would be of benefit to at least speak of such programs with breeders. Seems to be of benefit to the pups.

https://ckcusa.com/resources/respon...super-puppies-with-the-biosensor-routine.aspx

#22 ·
I guess the scientific term would be Bio-sensory development developed by the US military, for pups aged 3 days to 18 days.

I'm sure it would be of benefit to at least speak of such programs with breeders. Seems to be of benefit to the pups.

https://ckcusa.com/resources/respon...super-puppies-with-the-biosensor-routine.aspx
Wow, what an interesting read. If it works, it might be the most important thing I read on these forums. So much of puppy misbehavior is the result of stress and their ability to cope with it.
thanks

#24 ·
I have done it with all of my litters. Does it make a difference? Don't know, but it can't hurt anything. Also tried a type of scent/nose imprinting, but didn't find any benefit to that. I crate train and load the clicker with my pups along with litter box training (which makes house breaking so much easier). More they are exposed to without over doing it the better.

#25 ·
I have dogs from Wildhaus and Zu Treuen Handen.
I never had a problem transitioning the puppy from the breeder to the new home, both pups housetrained quickly and because they were use to being crated before leaving the breeders they had no problem with crating. Not to mention, I lucked out with the dogs traveling and kenneling in vehicles wonderfully. I would not want a dog that is dirty in a crate, or gets carsick often(though I do know baby pups will outgrow that)

Both breeders also know about minimally vaccinations and feed a raw diet. The puppy raising protocols are important for sure! Wildhaus has it fairly spelled out on their website.
I do believe going with a breeder that has a protocol in their first 8 weeks does help the puppy to be confident, and think.
I don't know that I could just purchase a pup from a big kennel that doesn't really take that time with individual pups, it helps in proper matching with owners and sets the pups up for success.
I won't go into the lines and how the dogs drives/off switches are....that is something individual to the breeding/pedigrees and management of the dog. One dogs drive level may be too high for someone, but not enough for someone else.

I know many people that have puppies that can't settle in a crate, break teeth trying to get out, eat poop, can't housetrain. I wonder if it is the actual puppy or the way they were raised at the breeders?

#26 ·
I have dogs from Wildhaus and Zu Treuen Handen.
I never had a problem transitioning the puppy from the breeder to the new home, both pups housetrained quickly and because they were use to being crated before leaving the breeders they had no problem with crating. Not to mention, I lucked out with the dogs traveling and kenneling in vehicles wonderfully. I would not want a dog that is dirty in a crate, or gets carsick often(though I do know baby pups will outgrow that)

Both breeders also know about minimally vaccinations and feed a raw diet. The puppy raising protocols are important for sure! Wildhaus has it fairly spelled out on their website.
I do believe going with a breeder that has a protocol in their first 8 weeks does help the puppy to be confident, and think.
I don't know that I could just purchase a pup from a big kennel that doesn't really take that time with individual pups, it helps in proper matching with owners and sets the pups up for success.
I won't go into the lines and how the dogs drives/off switches are....that is something individual to the breeding/pedigrees and management of the dog. One dogs drive level may be too high for someone, but not enough for someone else.

I know many people that have puppies that can't settle in a crate, break teeth trying to get out, eat poop, can't housetrain. I wonder if it is the actual puppy or the way they were raised at the breeders?
I guess it's the age old question of Nature vs Nurture.

#27 ·
Much is nature though we can influence nature in SOME ways through how we nurture them. :) Nature, though, will always come through. You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

#28 ·
Like KZoppa I have a do, from Malinda of Weberhaus German Shepherds. I brought my boy as a pet that I would possibly try dog sports with. He's a great pet, gentle with kids and the elderly, and very clean in the house. We've also been training in Schutzhund for a little over a year and he's progressing in it. I am pleased with him. When I'm ready for a formal sport prospect, Malinda is at the top of my list. It is very important that you are honest with the breeder about your experience and what you can and can't deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.