German Shepherds Forum banner

Companion/show breeder Ontario

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Carter Smith 
#1 ·
Hey all, I think I initially posted in the wrong spot.. First day here :wink2: I'm looking to add a GSD to our family, and was hoping some of you could throw a couple suggestions out there for me for breeders in Ontario, I do not plan on doing schutzhund or any type of 'work' per say, but a lot of walking running hiking camping cottaging fishing and time outdoors as we live in the 'stix'. We have a 7 mo. baby as well so temperament and health are paramount.

Thanks for any help you can offer

#2 ·
By this evening a few more of the Ontario folks may have checked this thread. ;) I have heard good things about Sanhedrin but I would defer to more knowledgeable folks than me.

#3 ·
Welcome! There are a lot of Ontarioians here, one in particular 'Carmspack', she will guide you in the right direction. BTW, I have a Sanhedrin pup, our of Karma and Fury (from Loretto Kennels), great temperment, loves to run, walk, good with people/animals..wonderful boy! Good luck in your search.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Thanks for the replies, I've never owned a gsd.. Have had many dogs grew up with 4 in the house at one point, currently have two of my own.. so maybe correct me here.. I like the look of what I've read is the 'euro' gsd, as the show/american gsd tend to be taller with bigger ears.. The euro are a little bit more compact? So what I'm asking is are there only true euro gsd from working lines? So ie no euro gsd as a companion dog rather than working?

#6 ·
go and visit Sanhedrin to see a good moderate size dog without outlandishly big ears .
Temperament is "cool" -- not excitable , not drivey or demanding , easily managed .
Limited potential as far as work . Don't gasp . Janice will tell you this herself.
A less ambitious dog may fit into a multi dog household more easily without upsetting
the status quo

Maybe you should post a picture of what your ideal is .

I would NOT go by the looks of a dog. Understand what you need to fit into your multi-dog
household, your ability to satisfy needs of an active intelligence and energy.

Do not equate the ability to work with hyper activity . Working dogs , when bred with balance in mind , apply themselves , and then have the ability to be restful and calm.

#7 ·
Thanks carm.. Truly my ideal look is sable, I loove sable.. But I don't want to compromise quality for colour.. I'm not intimidated by the work of a working line, as I've raised many dogs I've been around them my entire life all types, but your right in terms of a more cool personality fitting into our two dog house along with a 7 month old baby, however, it does intrigue my mind a highly capable dog. I think what throws me off is, I prefer the more redish undertones to the light beiege. Not sure how to post a pic but I will try

Attachments

#9 ·
Sables are typically working lines, but there are a few in show lines. The second picture is of a West German Show Line.

#10 ·
the second picture is a west German show line dog.

That is pretty much a signature colour which came from
a very scary - female -- Berta Lorscher Sand -- who
put her stamp of temperament on this inbred line.

read this page http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breeding-general/163886-iceberg-breeders-16.html

you may want to invest some time and read the entire thread

By the way I have since read some "Martin" quote explaining why for the roached back.
It also had to do with the reason for the roach .
The reasoning was that after extensive trotting for the show , would appear soft from fatigue , so an inflexible back was given as an over correction . A working dog though does not just trot . Some flex is necessary --

Do not chose your dog by colour.

#11 · (Edited)
So I read everything on that thread and I am ever more confused and less confident in what I want and where to look.. Although not all surprised as I've read about the health issues of overly popular dog.. Do you not breed? I'd be confident if I got a gsd from you! :grin2: but I will take your word on sanhedrin, I know it's wrong, but I just don't truly love the looks, however after day 1 I'm sure that would go out the window.

#12 ·
Just remember that you have a little baby that needs most of your attention. Go with the right temperament so you don't have heartache down the line.... go with a very good breeder who will help you find the right dog. Carmspack is the person you want to listen to.

#14 ·
Choosing by color and "I like the "Sables" (as do I ) but yeah Sables tend to be WL dogs ... that would not be a good plan there. :)
Spend a lot of time in the "Aggression Thread" to get a feel for how not to get that plan wrong, if you go the WL route." Actually something similar is how I got my WL GSD just a big furry dog with a funny face (I'm a Boxer guy) ... it all worked out in the long run ... not a recommend approach for the WL thing. :eek:

Welcome aboard. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.