DDR/Grafental pup in New England - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

DDR/Grafental pup in New England

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance for the long post!

I have wanted a German Shepherd for most of my life, and began seriously looking for one around 2007. After spending lots of time reading this thread, going to dog shows, doing research, etc, I came to the conclusion then that I wanted a DDR type dog. I love the German Shepherd for its trainability, endurance, intelligence, and protective nature, however I also need a dog who has a sense of humor.

At the time, however, I realized that my living situation was not conducive to getting this type of animal, as I was working longer hours and commuting. I also live with my mother who at the time had two Irish Terriers, one who was dog-aggressive. He has since passed away and our other Irish, Fiona, is still with us and is sweet as can be, but is now 13 years old. We now live in a larger house and I work close to home, 4 days a week.

To make a long story short, two years ago, I knew it was the right time to get my dog. Instead of getting a German Shepherd, I adopted a rescue dog with whom I completely fell in love. I believe she had a bit of shepherd in her, as did my mother, who grew up with shepherds. Sadly, she recently passed away at the age of two, completely unexpectedly, and my heart is broken. As much as I would love to rescue again, this time I really want my German Shepherd.

I am looking for a breeder in the New England area with DDR line dogs. My passion is training dogs but at the most I would do something like obedience. This will be my first German Shepherd, though, so I don't want a dog who is too prey driven or intense. I have known dogs like that before and am not interested in having that type of relationship.

I have been impressed with Kavallerie and Konigsdorf, but welcome any other suggestions.

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 04:14 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Kavallerie German Shepherds Kavallerie don't know there dogs but at a quick look like their site..

Konigsdorf only found their facebook link.... https://www.facebook.com/konigsdorfshepherds/timeline

MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

My dog's sire was from Konigsdorf. I met him on several occasions in different surroundings and situations and liked him a lot (obviously). He wasn't a very sporty type dog, medium prey drive that I saw. I liked his aloofness while still having good nerves and accepting people that his owner accepted. Calm and settled in the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 4 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 12-26-2015 at 06:29 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to get a puppy from Jillian at Kavallerie. Beautiful dogs!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Spoke with both breeders yesterday.

Sarah at Konigsdorf has a litter right now: Schatzi Humphries and Maverick vom Konigsdorf
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 PM

I know a Visko daughter who is from Kavallerie (Anke od Roubenky) and I like her a lot. Haven't seen her in a while and don't know how she's doing but I watched her work in obedience and protection from a puppy and I absolutely loved her. She was incredibly intelligent and a super quick learner. Don't know the breeders though they seem legit.

Danielle
&
Basia
~ CGC - BH - Rescued May 2011 ~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with Jillian at Kavallerie who sounds very knowledgable and nice. However, she doesn't have a litter available now. She's also a bit far of a driving distance, but that's not a deal breaker.

Any other suggestions for breeders in my area? It's important to me that the puppies be raised in a home setting.

Any help appreciated!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

One must be VERY VERY careful of the pedigrees of many DDR dogs - in recent years there have been some very notorious dog for poor temperament and hip production....

I am always very cautious and not a little skeptical when a breeder starts off just buying titled dogs abroad and producing litters for pet markets without spending years training those dogs and knowing their progeny....not only because the breeder does not have the experience to make good breeding decisions, but because the sellers in Germany are often selling dogs that appear nice because of issues and problems in the family.....Boban Grauen Monstat is a dog that was absolutely gorgeous that had a huge following - until he twice attacked a koermeister and produced an inordinate number of pups with temperament and hip issues.....the cross producing him was done 3 times and the SV stepped in and banned teh breeders from breeding that pair again due to the issues....

Using a stud dog with this pedigree??????? Most breeders who have been around are aware of the issues....

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I am also considering Ryanhaus in Massachusetts. I will be starting to visit prospective breeders and meeting their dogs, which is the next step in this process.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 PM
mnm
Master Member

I think you will find that Lee aka Wolfstraum is extremely knowledgeable with bloodlines, pedigrees, what a dog does or doesn't bring to a breeding, understanding the health and genetics, as well as drives and temperaments. I know she has a current litter that is being raised with terriers and cats (with the co-owner of the mother) and is located in New Jersey. Really sounds like a perfect fit for what you were describing in your original post. I have personally had one from her breeding (was bred in Belgium so didn't carry her kennel name due to their breeding regulations), and have met many of her pups who are with various owners.

Marsha
Chita IPO3 CD RN THDA CGC KKL1-retired
Camry vd Traumwolfen CGC THD
Ebene v Kindheitstraum CGC THD
Jaia vd Traumwolfen CGC

RIP
Elsa HOT SchH1 CD & Viggo TR1 CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page