choosing the right breeder in Ontario - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

choosing the right breeder in Ontario

Just in the infant stages of my quest for the right gsd. I am looking for a healthy family pet and protector. I live on a 1/2 acre country home in Caledon with my wife and two kids ages 12 and 8. We have no other pets and are very active. This would be my 2nd gsd. We are looking for a spring 2016 puppy.
Of course health and temperament is the priority but lets face it we all have varying opinions on the perfect look of the dog. We want a large dog 100 lbs plus with a big masque line head, big boned, wide chest. Bigger dogs in my opinion are just more majestic. A Dark sable male would be our first choice but a darker black and tan or red is a close second. Not a fan of the over angulation but some angulation is fine.
So far I have tried to contact a couple of breeders and I have gotten no responses.

The first that did respond was carmspack, Carmen was absolutely wonderful to talk with , she is a wealth of knowledge.

The next breeder was summerview in Acton, Very nice people. Great looking dogs especially one of their males "Nitro"

The above mentioned male came from a kennel in Arthur called Wild Winds. I have not contacted them yet but they seem to have a mix of German working and showlines, very nice looking large dogs.

Does any one have any first hand experience with summerview or wild winds.
Thanks in advace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

"We want a large dog 100 lbs plus with a big masque line head, big boned, wide chest. Bigger dogs in my opinion are just more majestic. "

but it is just plain wrong -- the dog you like is out of shape and is wet , dangling flews (like on a st Bernard) -- not a power masculine head

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

so come on out to the German shepherd dog club of Canada's annual National show GSDCC - Canadian National
I'll introduce you to some people .
If you want to look at American show lines .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
so come on out to the German shepherd dog club of Canada's annual National show GSDCC - Canadian National
I'll introduce you to some people .
If you want to look at American show lines .
I will definitely come check out the Kitchener show.
Are you trying to say that the dogs I find appealing are considered American show lines?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

the dogs you find appealing are not within the breed standard regardless of lines. what many here would consider an ethical and reputable breeder... who is striving to improve the breed... who work, train, show, title their dogs as well as perform all the necessary health screenings, etc, are not going to intentionally produce dogs so far out of standard merely in response to the demand. that said... many breeders do and among these breeders it's very common to cross different lines to achieve whatever it is they're after be it size, color, or whatever. 100lbs is an XL GSD let alone an "average sized male" as some sites suggest. "east and west german champions" in a pedigree is pretty vague - champions of what?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 61lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Dark Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 57lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-06-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

of the breeders you've inquired about, one appears to breed WL and the other, WL/WGSL/ASL dogs. aside from appearance - I'm not sure what else appeals to you.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 61lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Dark Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 57lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-06-2015 at 05:36 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 PM

"We want a large dog 100 lbs plus with a big masque line head, big boned, wide chest. Bigger dogs in my opinion are just more majestic. "
Have you looked at Shiloh Shepherds? or even what they call King Shepherds?They fit your requirements and make great family pets, I know they are not a true GSD being mixed with Pyrs, Malamutes and Newfoundlanders for the size but looks wise it's exactly what you are describing you want.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

character is what makes a dog majestic , not size.

the dog you like is out of condition , soft , "wet" with flews (lips) that you would see on a st Bernard -- too heavy

what was the pedigree of the dog that you had previously?

so far you have looked into American show lines .
I think at this point of your education you would fall in love with the first little fur ball that gave your hand a lick !! any cute face .

remember our conversation . I said GSD aren't simple anymore . There is no one breed and there are 3 distinct genetic sub groups , American , west German show, and the third is being split into sport and working .

Carmen

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

so we meet at the American show lines big annual National specialty show which show cases Canada's (basically American line combinations) and USA's top winning American "specialty" (as opposed to all-breed) GSD's competing for Grand Victor/Victrix . Later in October a similar event will be held in the USA for the same title in a show held by the GSDCofA.

Have a look at the obedience trials .

Then Oct 3 and 4 Capital City Schutzhund club is holding a trial , working - sport , schutzhund - IPO trial . Capital City Schutzhund Club | Member of the WUSV and GSSCC in the ontario Region held in Pickering so not at all far from your home-base.

This will introduce you to "European" working GSD . A totally different dynamic. You have to decide what potential you want , and where you think you might best be able to get it.

Carmen

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
character is what makes a dog majestic , not size.

the dog you like is out of condition , soft , "wet" with flews (lips) that you would see on a st Bernard -- too heavy

what was the pedigree of the dog that you had previously?

so far you have looked into American show lines .
I think at this point of your education you would fall in love with the first little fur ball that gave your hand a lick !! any cute face .

remember our conversation . I said GSD aren't simple anymore . There is no one breed and there are 3 distinct genetic sub groups , American , west German show, and the third is being split into sport and working .
First and foremost the dog we (my family)are looking for has to be healthy and temperamentally sound. The dogs we find "good looking" may not be within the breed standards but preserving the breed is not my concern. With all due respect we like what we like and who gives anyone the right to say otherwise. There are plenty of purists out there to preserve the breed and that's a great thing but I am not one of them. This dog will be a family pet therefore all those fancy titles are not relevant .He will not be used for sport with the exception of fetching a ball or Frisbee in the backyard.
I found my first gsd from a newspaper.He cost me $150.00 I was young and those were pre internet days. He was twelve when he died and was absolutely amazing. I was told he was from a working line and had the look of a working dog but who knows. No pedigree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page