Help finding a breeder around the mid-atlantic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help finding a breeder around the mid-atlantic

I'm looking to get a puppy in December. I'm living in West Virginia right now. This is the first time I'll be buying a puppy from a breeder, so I'm very new to this whole thing. I've been looking through the forums as to what to expect from good breeders and what questions to ask, but it's been a little overwhelming so far. It seems like I keep running into places that just don't feel right, or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because of my inexperience. Is it bad to feel so put off by just a few negative comments about a breeder?

I'd love to eventually compete in Schutzhund with my dogs, so it'd be good for this pup to be a sort of gateway dog to that. I'd like to at least put him through some of the training, though I'm not focusing on competition right now. It's just me and I'm mainly looking for an active companion and a protector. I run every day and do a lot of hiking and backpacking, and I'd love a dog I can take with me on all of my adventures when he's fully grown and all trained up. I know I'd like a larger dog and I prefer long-haired shepherds. Is it realistic to ask a breeder about appearance and size in addition to good health and trainability/fit?

I was curious as to if anyone had any suggestions about specific breeders or even just good places to start. I'd prefer not to have my pup shipped and to go pick him up myself, and I'd have no issues driving whatever distance to get him. I'm trying to find a breeder in the near future so we can develop more of a relationship before I take my pup home.

Last edited by Treadwell; 06-03-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Treadwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How far are you willing to drive? Upstate NY? Ohio? South? A days drive?

Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Probably a day? I don't know how long of a drive is too long for a pup. Is there such a thing?
I'd be fine driving most anywhere within about 10 hours or so, personally.
Treadwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll send you a PM of the breeders I know and like. Not sure what they might have available this winter.

Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a pup from Blackthorn working dogs in Barbersville va. Christine has nice pups who are sane and sound of body. I know she usually has a few pups with longer coats in her litters. She is very hands on and helpful with all her puppy buyers. I know I haunt her facebook page with questions constantly.
Snowmyst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have done 24 hour drives to get a pup. A pup with sound nerves handles it just fine. Not so sure my husband did when the pup got vocal about being crated. LOL

I will second Christine at Blackthorn. Welcome to Blackthorn Working German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.