Why Do Puppies Cost So Much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why Do Puppies Cost So Much?

Ruffly Speaking has a new blog post up (very happy to see her back writing!)

And it addresses costs and perceptions of costs of puppies and 'you get what you pay for?'

Why do puppies cost so much? | Ruffly Speaking

Could we add it to the What To Look For in a Responsible Breeder sticky?
creegh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I enjoyed reading the comments. Kind of sounded like some of the posts on this forum get, two WAY DIFFERENT points of view...

Fate von Schraderhaus- GSD - June 15 2014
Cali - Pug/Chihuahua - Sep 6 2008
taytay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I love this author. The one thing that people always counter with, though, is about the unpredictability of health because we are talking about living things, not phones or cars. If you end up with a dog that costs thousands of dollars in vet bills and eventually dies, a replacement puppy or refund is pretty poor consolation. So I think people need to see some hard statistics on why the things that matter to them (good temperament and health, mainly) are actually what reputable breeders are offering above backyard breeders. A warranty is little comfort when you actually have a disaster happen- it can't make an unhealthy dog healthy. People need some good evidence that the dog they get from a responsible breeder is more likely to be healthy and even-tempered, and I don't mean just OFA testing because that does not even scratch the surface of what can go wrong with a dog.

And then there's the circular reasoning I see so often- "Well of course if you get a dog from a responsible breeder it will be healthy and have good temperament, because that's what responsible breeders are aiming to produce." That is not very helpful to puppy buyers.

I'm not really convinced by the cars to dogs comparison, since you can't really "manufacture" dogs to certain specs. Breeders are a lot more like artists, IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kaimeju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't like the article.

'Pretend you're buying a smart phone....' - $200? First of all, it's cheap at that price and don't people 'buy their phone' based on the contract they get? Who shells out $800+ off for them? Maybe they do....

But, the e.g. of the car is simllar - $40K car... is chosen over $4500 car. Yeah, so? It's probably financed. OR did you give your bank info for the lot and say, take out $40K?

Is there any breeders who take payments? I hear crickets...

I think it's this way - if you can afford $2000 for a dog, you can do it but lots of people cannot so they are stuck at the classifieds trying to find a purebred dog (some don't even do that) that is as healthy as possible - so they can raise it their own way.

Am I right? :-/
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Makes it sound like the cost alone makes the dog guaranteed to be healthy and the breeders a good one! We all know that's not the case! !
SkoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 02:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Liked the read.. thanks for sharing!

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Lady Athena (BB)-2011-2012 (RIP baby girl)
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I think it's this way - if you can afford $2000 for a dog, you can do it but lots of people cannot so they are stuck at the classifieds trying to find a purebred dog (some don't even do that) that is as healthy as possible - so they can raise it their own way.
While I agree with your other criticisms, the thing that people need to see is that if they CAN'T afford $1500-$2000 for a puppy, they're better off waiting and saving up. People get this, "I decided I want something, so I want it NOW," mentality, and it's not something that should be going on with a living thing. If you don't have the time to save for the money, how are you going to handle a potential waiting list? If you don't have the time to save the money, are you doing your research on breeders and finding the ones that are actually health testing and tracking issues in their lines? If it's that you can't AFFORD to save the money, how are you going to afford the monthly cost of the dog? Training? Vet bills? SURPRISE vet bills? Just because you want a dog doesn't mean you should get one on the spot, and doesn't always mean you should even get one at all.

So, yeah, there are going to be people that don't listen to advice and want their spur of the moment dog. But some people just don't understand paying that much, and those are the people that need to know it's not just breeders trying to rip you off for an extra buck. They need to know that all that health testing, all that titling on the dogs, even just housing and vetting their dogs, it all racks up. So paying what most reputable breeders are asking for puppies helps them keep doing what they're doing so well, and it's insanely worth it for the purchaser.

Buddy, rescue husky, 2-1-02
Phantom vom Wildhaus, "Spectre", 12-19-14
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the cost of dogs is really driven by the market than anything. If everyone tallied up their costs to raise, title, health certify, and then breed/whelp a breeding quality dog, puppies would cost $7000, lol. It seems to me that it's more a matter of what a breeder can live with as a low cost vs what people in the general breed community think is too high a cost. The puppies sell and breeders are able to get them into good homes (pet homes, show homes, working homes) so the balance is met.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Some of the worst bybs have dogs for sale up to and over 2k. The article implies a pricey pup is better and there is no keys to identifying a good breeder from a faux one that simply charges gobs of money for their puppies.
SkoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Breeders in Germany charge around €800 for a puppy from titled, breed-surveyed, hip-cleared parents approved for breeding by a breed warden. A comparable puppy in the U.S. is at least twice as expensive. Not really sure why, except market forces at work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.