Breeder website question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeder website question

I've been looking at Puppy pages on several breeder websites, and noticed that some will show a brand new litter, and then say 1 female or 2 males. That seems like an awfully small number of puppies to select from when buying a dog. Is that because they are all presold? If so, how do they know before a litter is on the ground how many they can sell in advance? I prefer not to put money down on a dog until I know the dog is born, healthy and is the temperament we are looking for. If we want to work with any of the breeders recommended to me, it looks like we will have to put money down in advance sight unseen or look elsewhere. The last time we bought from a breeder, the breeder selected the dog and it worked out well, but no money was exchanged until we were on site, met the dog, bonded and the breeder OK'd the sale. We also had to bring our whole family and two close friends who would be around the dog. One was our dog sitter.
LuvShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

when a person does research on a breeder and the lines they use then they know what they want in a dog. As well as someone who they feel comfortable in dealing with. A breeder prefers to deal with people who know exactly they want. you come in and see the pups but they have been looking and observing the pups for 8 weeks. they know what you are looking for and because of observing the pups they are able to make matches based on their observations and years of experience. If a breeder is a breeder that is sought after they usually have waiting lists of people who want from them and their lines. Why would someone hold a pup for someone who isn't willing to put money down to hold a pup for them? It shows commitment. It shows you are as serious as they are.
rtdmmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

So, buyers have no input on the dog they want? We had a breeder select a dog for us in the past, but we were also given the opportunity to wait for another dog if we weren't positive. The dog was a different sex and different breeding than the one we wanted. After meeting the dog and the mother, the sire wasn't at the kennel, we decided to go with her choice and it was the right one. But the breeder refused to take money in advance because she didn't want to have our money if she didn't have a dog for us. I'm concerned about paying a deposit and maybe missing out on another dog from another recommended breeder, if they don't have the one we want. This time around we know exactly what we want in temperament and drive, and I'm not willing to take anything else. I don't want an extremely high drive dog and I'm looking for a personality that will fit into our current pack.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you have a lot of specifics of what you're looking for in terms of temperament as you say, all the more reason to have an experienced breeder pick for you! When we were waiting on our puppy, I talked to the breeder many times over, and filled out a questionnaire that was pages long and super in-depth so she could get a clear picture of what we wanted. Even after all that, she would ask if she needed clarification on something, or even once she asked if our training goals had changed based on what I had been talking about in completely unrelated conversations.

Even though we were on a waiting list, we didn't send off a deposit until either the dam was confirmed pregnant with multiple pups, I think just before they were born. Even then, there was a stipulation in the deposit that if the right dog for us was NOT in the litter (including things like sex, and even color, even though temperament is most important) we would have the option to transfer the deposit to another litter. I think there might have also been an option to get the deposit back, but I really don't remember, that wasn't an option as far as we were concerned! haha!

I think in order to really get what you really want/need, it's important to find a breeder that you trust and stick it out with them. While it's true that you might be able to find what you're looking for sooner somewhere else, that rapport is so important. You need to be able to get to know someone, and have them really understand YOU and your situation, and what you're looking for. I'm actually in contact with a majority of the puppy owners from our same litter, and every one of them talks about how THEY got the best puppy! We all did, because we all have different situations, and we each got the puppy that's perfect for us.

Buddy, rescue husky, 2-1-02
Phantom vom Wildhaus, "Spectre", 12-19-14
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I asked the wrong question. You answered the one I should have asked. Yes, that's what I needed to know. I've never been this picky before about a dog. I'm heavily involved with rescue, so I'm bringing a puppy into an established pack. They are used to other dogs and will accept another dog, because they have before on a temporary basis, but I am trying to bring down the energy of the group I have now with a more even temperament. When I get a puppy, I will stop fostering for a few years until a new dog is trained.

I have that relationship with our old breeder but she is now breeding only show lines that can win in the rings so her dogs no longer fit with my needs. I have been unable to develop that kind of relationship with another breeder. They seem to be too busy to answer questions. I've started looking out of state to expand the breeder pool. I hesitate to put too much down about what I want because I was contacted through this forum by a BYB trying to sell me a dog previously.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where are you located? I personally want to chose my pup with the input of the breeder. I don't do deposits. That does limit my options but I want to make sure that I can sit down by a litter for a while and observe without a prior commitment and able to walk away.
My breeder does not do deposits or contracts. He has excellent quality working lines.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

There aren't any breeders near enough for me to visit on a regular basis. Each visit requires a trip and planning. I've been searching for a while now since I don't need another dog immediately. I don't know why I'm not getting a better response but I'm not hearing back from people I've emailed. It could be they are too busy with their dogs. I understand that. It is very difficult to find the kind of relationship you are talking about. I had one dog offered to me for sale by a breeder I met through a friend, but after researching the lines and watching videos of related dogs, I decided they are beautiful, high drive working dogs that need a different environment than I offer. I'm leaning more toward a less intense line. I may try to get to some dog shows. I went to a few but the only dogs entered were American lines.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

What most people need to understand is that really good breeders constantly have demand for their dogs, and yes, that means that people are putting down deposits early, and possibly from other litters. Many breeders won't take deposits until the puppies are on the ground, but those that have a constant supply of puppies generally do because they know that if they don't provide you with a puppy this time around, they'll have one in a month or two. If they're a good breeder, they're not at a shortage for customers, so they're not about to hold a puppy for someone that doesn't want to put down a deposit. On top of that, they have no idea who you are, and without a deposit, you can just walk away at 7.5 weeks and the breeder is left scrambling to find a home for a puppy.

In regards to a relationship, and people will probably get mad at this, but unless you're going to be showing/training/trialing the dog, most breeders that focus on those areas are probably not going to really be super excited to develop an extended relationship with you. They just plainly don't have the time. Should they be friendly and available? Absolutely. But if they're producing a lot of puppies, have 30+ buyers a year, they really can't be best friends with everyone.

You should still probably list your location, you'd be amazed at how many breeders are around that don't have websites and you won't find through a google search.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
If they're a good breeder, they're not at a shortage for customers, so they're not about to hold a puppy for someone that doesn't want to put down a deposit. On top of that, they have no idea who you are, and without a deposit, you can just walk away at 7.5 weeks and the breeder is left scrambling to find a home for a puppy.
If they have a waiting list they don't need to take deposits. When someone walks away from a pup at that age, it won't be hard to call another person who wants a dog out of his lines.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

It could be if you're talking only a weeks notice or less...

You've already told a family that they won't be getting a dog this time around, they're probably not ready, and not many will just jump at the chance at the puppy on that short of notice if they're not ready.

Also, who knows if the puppy is a fit for anyone currently on the waiting list? What if it's the "family puppy" of the litter and all they have is working homes on the list. Or vice versa?

There's no reason for a breeder (or any business person) to pass up revenue and sales. If people are showing their interest by at putting down money, I'd rather sell to them than someone who is hesitant and not willing to put down a minimal deposit on something they really want.

Either way...good luck looking for a reputable breeder, producing great dogs, that will allow you to stay on a waiting list even after the puppies are on the ground without placing a deposit. Especially if they're not your next door neighbor or your best friend.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.