No contact from Breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No contact from Breeder

I have a question for the community: I put down a deposit almost two months ago for a puppy from **Name removed**. Since that time, despite repeated attempts to contact **Name removed by ADMIN** to discuss my application, what I am looking for, etc. I have received exactly 1 response back in two months. That response went something like this: I don't have time to respond to your emails because I'm too busy training people here. The puppies were supposed to be due in mid to late April and yet I have still not heard anything.

I understand that things can get busy and that email can pile up, but after putting down $500 on a puppy on faith and word of mouth, I am starting to feel like I made a mistake and should not have done so.

Is it typical for a breeder to conduct business this way?

Last edited by lhczth; 05-04-2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Bording on breeder bashing
badschnitzel92@gmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

No. If I put that much done on a puppy, I would be very angry if a breeder treated me that way and I would ask for a refund.
Bella67 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

You need to be comfortable with the level of communication you get from your chosen breeder.

I personally walked away from a breeder I loved due to this issue. Not because I had issue with their program, but because I wanted more interaction.

The kennel you mentioned is high on my list for a future dog. They are producing nice dogs for sport and work.

But if you are not ok with the level of communication, walk away.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Gee - you think they could have at least sent you a form letter explaining their procedure and when you would hear from them on the litter, maybe even thanking you for your deposit and receipt of same.
Stonevintage is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

So much advice from people that have no idea who this breeder is and why it is that he may be this busy...

You chose this breeder for a reason, you should accept that he's going to be a bit busy and not get back to you as much or as soon as you'd like.

This is probably one of the issues with going with a breeder like this...great dogs come from people that work dogs to a high standard, and that means training dogs instead of sending emails.
martemchik is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Have you called the breeder or just emailed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I suppose it is a bit much to ask for one response in two months seeing as none of the rest of us are busy as breeders.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Have you called the breeder or just emailed?

I have called and emailed repeatedly.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, then, I too would be upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

To be honest, if the puppies were due in mid to late April, then they should have been on the ground for at least a week. It is a very busy time, especially if the breeder is working full time on top of it.

Usually, I do wait until the puppies are a week old before letting people know they have arrived. People hate this. Personally, I think it would be much worse to tell your people, yes we have 3 girls and 4 boys so your puppy has arrived, only to have 1 die and then have to call and let the person know that. The first few days are the most critical, so after a week you can let those who have been waiting what you have, males/females. Temperament, of course, cannot be determined for several weeks, and visiting is really out of the question until the pups are 3-4 weeks old.

If you do let people know you are going to have a litter and it doesn't present, the bitch missed or whatever, you really should let them know, especially if you have deposits on the litter. Lots of us do not take deposits until pups are on the ground.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.