Puppy Mill Question vs reputable breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Puppy Mill Question vs reputable breeder

Puppy mills produce a lot of pups. For reputable breeders some produce 15-16 litters per se and still be count as a puppy mill? Still the dogs end up healthy for many owners, although there can be an odd time where pup is unhealthy.
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Puppy Mill Question vs reputable breeder

A puppy mill is breeding the dogs to quickly sell whether they have good or bad bloodlines/health. A reputable breeder will take into account a lot of factors before breeding such as health, bloodline, temperament, etc.

Just google what a puppy mill is and you'll see the difference between a reputable breeder and a mill.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
Puppy mills produce a lot of pups. For reputable breeders some produce 15-16 litters per se and still be count as a puppy mill? Still the dogs end up healthy for many owners, although there can be an odd time where pup is unhealthy.
Puppy mills crank out puppies as quickly as possible to make money, which makes the bloodlines of their pups and the health of the dams suffer. 15-16 litters doesn't mean puppy mill automatically, it depends on how many dams they've used and over what amount of time, I would think. I'm not a breeder, so this is just my opinion!

For example, if that number is over the course of say a career of 16 years, that comes to about one litter a year or so - which is generally more than quite reasonable (as long as the dam is within acceptable age range for breeding throughout that span of time). If the number is over the course of say 2 years, that's 8 litters a year which means they have several litters on the ground at once, and are probably cranking out pups like nobodys business.

A good breeder will put in a lot of work into their pairings as well, and know their lines. Bloodlines, health, temperament, confirmation, etc is all stuff that puppy millers don't generally take painstaking time over .

Bottom line though, you want to research your breeder and spend some time here. You'll find out what you need to know if you look!

Last edited by Snapdragon; 10-14-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

One cannot compare a Hyundai to a Cadillac in my opinion.

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Debanneball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

You can purchase from a breeder and still make a value based decision by supporting breeders who treat their dogs the way you'd prefer dogs be treated.

You can get a Cadillac from 2 dealers - one who treats their customers well after a sale, one who doesn't, your research, and what is important to you will tell you which you want to deal with.

You can also get a dog from someone who has the experience of having the dogs in an environment similar to the one you are going to have them live in, and can relate their house manners, other animal interactions, or you can buy from someone who has kennels and staff.

It's your money, so you get to decide what is important to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Jean,

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
Lol ^
Yes.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post

Hyundai is a better quality and Cadillac cost more?
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jean, I am sorry if I put my thought down in a manner that you did not agree with. Why, you ask...

Stella (rip), came to me via a friend (her chow and Stella did NOT like each other) bought her from byb, she had bad hips (diagnosed at 6 months), allergies to food, runny eyes, she was agressive from the getgo. I took her to school, to the vet for needles for allergies, cleaned her ears every Friday, I did my best. She eventually accepted other dogs, but took years. I was told
the place she came from was dirty and smelly, and the mother was fearful. But none the less, I LOVED her with all my heart!

Now, Fritz, I bought from a breeder who shows dogs, he is healthy, friendly, happy.. Sure, sometimes he is a pain in the butt, but I have something I can depend upon.

Maybe Cadillac to Hyundai was wrong.. In hindsight, oranges to apples probably would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
You can purchase from a breeder and still make a value based decision by supporting breeders who treat their dogs the way you'd prefer dogs be treated.

You can get a Cadillac from 2 dealers - one who treats their customers well after a sale, one who doesn't, your research, and what is important to you will tell you which you want to deal with.

You can also get a dog from someone who has the experience of having the dogs in an environment similar to the one you are going to have them live in, and can relate their house manners, other animal interactions, or you can buy from someone who has kennels and staff.

It's your money, so you get to decide what is important to you.

Enjoy

Last edited by Debanneball; 10-14-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot the hot spots....
Debanneball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There's so much more to a breeder than the number of puppies they produce. I know for a fact there are breeders that this forum respects and reccomends that produce upwards of a litter a month. Debanne...your experience is just one, with just two dogs. Sure, it's the more probable outcome when you think about statistics, but I have a dog that came from a "byb" who is extremely stable and a very good dog. I'm doing IPO with him, have done SDA work, titled in AKC venues. I also have one that comes from a much better breeder. Is she a better dog? Debatable in many aspects and is really all about what you're looking for.

Both dogs are healthy. Both dogs are friendly. And both dogs would be fine in any home. I've got friends that have spent 3 times what i did on my first dog and their dogs from those reputable breeders have health problems and in some cases have questionable temperaments or aren't able to do all that my boy has done.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.