Finding reputable breeder, classic GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finding reputable breeder, classic GSD

Hello all, first post...
I am searching for a reputable breeder(s) that have what I'm looking for. I am not ready to purchase now, but will be in 9-12 mos. I'm just starting research.

The GSD has always been my favorite dog, as long as I can remember. I grew up watching reruns of run tin tin and lassie but I always favored the GSD. I loved every GSD I ever met. They are the ideal dog for me.
8 years ago I had a chance to buy the dog of my choice, and after countless days and weeks of research I chose another breed. German Pinscher. Not because I didn't favor the GSD, but because the GP was a better fit at that time since I was moving on my own... healthier (no real health problems at all), smaller (not as much food, space), cost, etc. In hindsight I could have gone for a GSD and I did pay $1500 for the GP, but all the concerns about health and type turned me off. I didnt want to invest so much time and money on a crapshoot. It was much easier to find a reputable and affordable GP than GSD. I love my GP, but I will always be a GSD guy.

So, I still have Heinz, my GP, but I want to start looking for GSD breeders.

What I want:
Male puppy
Black and red (prefer blanket/saddle markings)
Classic confirmation (1920's to 1960's GSD)
Mixed bloodlines (show/working, West/Ddr/Czech/American/etc)
Basically a breeder that breeds for breed standard rather than show or lines, but still retains appearance and workability (herding, sport, schtz)...well balanced, jack of all...

Not really interested in high profile breeders with premium prices...I'm not a cheapo, but I can't see going past $2000 MAX for a pup.
Location doesn't matter much, I live in Florida but my GP was shipped from canada.
Am I asking for too much, or do these hobby, breed first breeders exist?
JAVez1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
Old 10-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

You've thrown a very large net for yourself. There are some things I can point out to you like the fact that most responsibly bred GSD's can do both show or work. Which one they excel at will depend on what breeder you go to and what they focus on. A show line breeder will be looking for confirmation while a working breeder will be looking for drive (in extremely simplistic terms, but basically they have different goals for their dogs). Most that I have seen don't do much mixing of so called "show lines" and working lines. They're usually either working or show. I do know that black and red is rather rare in working line, so if you're set on the color you might want to look into show lines.

But much of your description is just that - description. You're describing what you want the dog to look like based on your own belief of what a "classic" GSD should be. What would help you much more is to think about what you want your dog to be like as far as temperament, personality, drive, etc. And what do you want to do with your dog? Are you looking for a companion? A dog for schutzhund, agility, or maybe just hiking? It is important to think more along these lines because knowing these traits are what will help best in steering you towards the right breeder with the right dogs for you.

You also want to know what you're looking for because if you go to a breeder just telling them you want a black and red male, they're probably going to turn you down as ignorant. Breeders will keep preferences in mind, but they will choose a puppy they feel will fit in best with you no matter what color or gender it is. Many breeders don't allow you to choose your own puppy. So they may have a black and red male in a litter, but feel that it is not a good match for you. Open up your options, think about what you really want from your dog beyond what it looks like and think about how you want it to fit into your life. If you come back with answers to those, you're much more likely to get suggestions.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pax8, thank you for your reply!
I admit, what I presented was more of a very general guide as to what I would like a dog to look like.テつ* I have plenty of time before I'm ready to get a GSD so I know I can get both the appearance and character traits in one package if I look hard enough.
I am looking for a dog that might not be the BEST schutzhund, show, or work prospect but could hold its own if trained for any discipline.
I am looking for a family dog first.テつ* Temperment, health, and intelligence is #1.テつ* I might be interested in sport and Schutzhund in the future and want a dog that has the ability to do these things.テつ* I like dogs with good drive and my GP has a very high prey drive.
I've done a lot of research these past few days and also 8 yrs ago when I was looking so I wouldn't consider myself ignorant on most of these issues considering I've never owned a GSD.テつ* I know there are show lines that can produce what I'm looking for (Kirschental) but that many have health, temperment, and workability issues.テつ* It's more likely to not get the whole package.テつ* I know working lines would get me closer to what I'm looking for in temp and drive, but there is a good chance of getting a dog that is just too much for a normal life.テつ* Besides, if I can only have one GSD at a time, I'd rather get one that fits me aesthetically.テつ* That is also harder in working lines.
I know there have been breeders with success in combining the show/work lines but I don't remember which ones they were and haven't done extensive research yet this time around.テつ* I wanted to start here since from what I've seen most posters are knowledgeable about the GSD.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
You've thrown a very large net for yourself. There are some things I can point out to you like the fact that most responsibly bred GSD's can do both show or work. Which one they excel at will depend on what breeder you go to and what they focus on. A show line breeder will be looking for confirmation while a working breeder will be looking for drive (in extremely simplistic terms, but basically they have different goals for their dogs). Most that I have seen don't do much mixing of so called "show lines" and working lines. They're usually either working or show. I do know that black and red is rather rare in working line, so if you're set on the color you might want to look into show lines.

But much of your description is just that - description. You're describing what you want the dog to look like based on your own belief of what a "classic" GSD should be. What would help you much more is to think about what you want your dog to be like as far as temperament, personality, drive, etc. And what do you want to do with your dog? Are you looking for a companion? A dog for schutzhund, agility, or maybe just hiking? It is important to think more along these lines because knowing these traits are what will help best in steering you towards the right breeder with the right dogs for you.

You also want to know what you're looking for because if you go to a breeder just telling them you want a black and red male, they're probably going to turn you down as ignorant. Breeders will keep preferences in mind, but they will choose a puppy they feel will fit in best with you no matter what color or gender it is. Many breeders don't allow you to choose your own puppy. So they may have a black and red male in a litter, but feel that it is not a good match for you. Open up your options, think about what you really want from your dog beyond what it looks like and think about how you want it to fit into your life. If you come back with answers to those, you're much more likely to get suggestions.

I don't completely agree with this part. I also knew I wanted a red and black male. Of course I had other things I wanted, but I went to a reputable breeder and was able to get what I wanted. Also, I am not convinced that there is one puppy from the litter that is a clear match for the buyer. I'm sure that is the case sometimes, but often I would think there would be a few puppies that were a match. At least in my situation the breeder had a group of puppies I could choose from, and told what the differences were between pups. So she and I both had a say in the decision. She did encourage me to consider a female, but was fine when I decided on male.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pax8, thank you for your reply!
I admit, what I presented was more of a very general guide as to what I would like a dog to look like.テつ* I have plenty of time before I'm ready to get a GSD so I know I can get both the appearance and character traits in one package if I look hard enough.
I am looking for a dog that might not be the BEST schutzhund, show, or work prospect but could hold its own if trained for any discipline. A

Last edited by JAVez1983; 10-10-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Btw, is anyone seeing my replies? I can't see them off of my phone so I don't know if they are showing up...
Old 10-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yes; they are posting MULTIPLE times. You have 4 different posts starting with "Pax 8, t hank you for your reply!"

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What is this all about, テつ* before a sentence?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum and great news that you are doing your research so far ahead.

Any puppy can be a bit of a crap shoot with genetics always being involved, but finding a good 'responsible' breeder who is educated in both their dogs and the breeds is a huge help.

Were you able to look at --> How to find a puppy! as well as ---> Link: How to tell a good breeder website from a bad one. ?

I know the links and information on those threads are always great tips and reminders for me.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.