German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   OTCH Puppy Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/484889-otch-puppy-breeder.html)

Haven 09-01-2014 12:59 PM

OTCH Puppy Breeder

We are searching for a German Shepherd male puppy bred from an OTCH male and an OTCH female hopefully within a day's drive from San Francisco. Does anyone know a breeder who might have a puppy or upcoming puppies that would qualify? Also, does anyone know a better way to search for one?

Many Thanks!

Merciel 09-01-2014 02:31 PM

What are you actually looking for?

What I mean is: why are you picking out those specific credentials? What do you hope to get in a future puppy by looking for OTCH parents?

Haven 09-01-2014 03:31 PM

Our first German Shepherd as a married couple (we both had GSDs when we were young) was ranked 29th in the Western United States in AKC Obedience Trials. We'd our third dog to compete as well.

dawnandjr 09-01-2014 05:00 PM

My bitch was ranked in the top 10 back in 2009 and 2010. She is working line. I would think any working line will take you there.

Merciel 09-01-2014 05:05 PM

Well, in that case the obvious answer would be to go to some shows in your area and figure out which of those dogs might be a good fit for your training style and preferences, then track down whoever bred those dogs. Scores are only a small part of the story -- finding a dog who suits your style is more important if you want to replicate those scores in competition.

But I'll also throw out a recommendation for von Sontausen, who is (I think) in that general area and has been producing some nice obedience dogs. One of them is located in my region, and I wouldn't be surprised if that dog OTCh's in the near future. von Sontausen German Shepherd Dogs

carmspack 09-01-2014 05:06 PM

Ledger , was #2 in nationwide competition . One or two points shy of #1 . Limited shows to begin with - then owner went through surprise divorce - entered at the very very last show and lost by one or two points ---

however ---- your best bet is to look for over all desirable qualities which include willingness , good retrieve, balanced body, environmental soundness, appropriate social attitude , health .

the rest is up to you.

carmspack 09-01-2014 05:07 PM

I second Sontausen , Julia Priest .

Haven 09-01-2014 07:05 PM

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

DawnAndJR: Are you anywhere near the Bay Area, and if so have you bred your bitch?

Merciel: We were living in Stockton, California when we competed, so we'll need to track down some local events where we live now, but your absolutely right that would be a good place to start. The Von Sontausen dogs do seem like they are the type of dogs we're looking for, but strangely enough I can't find on their website where they are located. I'm guessing because of their area code they're back where we used to live 30 years ago which means we might have even met them at trials. Do you know which city they are near?

Carmen: Is Ledger your dog now? If so, have you bred him with another champion?

Thanks to all, and if you are interested in GSD obedience trials you should watch the video "Obedience Dog Championships from day 3 of Crufts 2013 with Jenny Gould & Zankanja Bitter 'N' Twisted" on YouTube. I never saw even a Border Collie perform so magically and with such enthusiasm!

carmspack 09-01-2014 07:41 PM

Ledger was my breeding and his dam was an Obedience Grand Victrix -- this line continues by way of the far-background in my 35 year continuous line.
Ledger would be over 30 years of age - so the answer is no .
He was never bred .
I would not chose a champion -- I would chose the dog , not the title -- . I have produced Best in Group and Best in Show GSD and ROM (register of Merit) and none of them were produced by "champions" .

I am saying this because I want to impress on you to have a goal in mind , a picture and a feel for an ideal .

I spent years trying to get more recognition of the value of the obedience ring and temperament test for the GSDCof C , which finally relented , and the first trial held at the Nationals had 2 or 3 dogs that passed the test . 2 of them were my breeding owned by someone other than myself.

Not much has changed.

You want a competitive obedience club - then go around to your local clubs, not necessarily schutzhund.

I don't know where you live , but say if you were in my area I would say , Swansea Obedience, Victoria County Obedience , Lab Owners Obedience etc etc. These names may not be current - but this is where you had good exposure.
Another thing to do is to contact the AKC for local obedience trials and then go and attend and see who has what .

and in case anyone gets their knickers in a knot - I am more or less retired ----

carmspack 09-01-2014 08:31 PM

oh I see , California , why not try Anne Kent, forum member going under the name Vandal - kennel Adler-Stein-Kennels-News, Los-Angeles-German-Shepherds