German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Rivergreen German Shepherd Kennel? Good? Bad? Mediocre? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/484450-rivergreen-german-shepherd-kennel-good-bad-mediocre.html)

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-30-2014 08:36 PM

Rivergreen German Shepherd Kennel? Good? Bad? Mediocre?

So was picking up our new dog food (Acana :-) he's absolutely loving it so far) and heard we have a breeder near by that I have never heard of. Their called Rivergreen German Shepherd Kennels. They have some very nice titled dogs. Just couldn't find out any information on them when searching for reviews.
Thanks

lhczth 08-31-2014 10:39 AM

Is this them?
Rivergreen Shepherds

I have never heard of them, but wanted to post the link.

MaggieRoseLee 08-31-2014 10:41 AM

I don't know of them specifically but like their website and goals for their kennel.

Breeding German Showlines, so if that's your GSD flavor it's a place to look at.

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-31-2014 05:35 PM

Yep. That's them. I know one person has a female from them on here and she has from their posts a sever allergy. But I also know any dog can have an allergy and it is not the breeding that causes that, it just happens. But she's a pretty girl.

Ya the website looked really nice. Simple, to the point, but very nice. They do have some great goals and very nice dogs. We hope to maybe do a visit. Not planning on adding another any time soon. But it would be awesome to meet so many shepherd at once. And they might know some great trainers near by and have some good information.

GSD Owner in Training :-) 09-01-2014 12:42 AM

Arn't show lines more laid back and less drive than working lines? I always thought show lines are easier to handle than working lines? And better family pets?

Pax8 09-01-2014 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Owner in Training :-) (Post 5971449)
Arn't show lines more laid back and less drive than working lines? I always thought show lines are easier to handle than working lines? And better family pets?

It depends on the breeder, the bloodlines, the goal of the kennel etc. I have seen a mixed bag in show lines as far as drive, so it really depends on who you go to. I have seen show line breeders that only breed for show and don't care about drive, ones that breed for show and sport to preserve drive, some that breed for the best family pets, it varies greatly. I have seen some super laid back show lines, some insanely neurotic show lines that I would hate to see with a family, and show lines that have some good drive.

Picking and choosing certain bloodlines, certain breeders, and certain breeding goals is a much better way to determine whether you will have a dog with good drive rather than simply whether it is show line or working line. And even the dogs within each side are varied. Kaiju is a working line and is super laid back. He'll sleep all day with me or he'll go supernova on an agility course. So I wouldn't boil it down into too simple of terms. :)

carmspack 09-01-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Owner in Training :-) (Post 5971449)

You have first hand experience ! Your pooch is show lines .

GSD Owner in Training :-) 09-01-2014 09:42 AM

Yes :-) he is show lines and he is for the most part very laid back couch potato with spurts of high energy and a pretty good drive for ball/stick throwing.
Just have no experience with working line GSD's.