German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Buyer beware - (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/481073-buyer-beware.html)

MyDogGinger 08-18-2014 02:18 PM

Buyer beware -

I am a second time owner of a GSD. My first dog Boris was trained along side Peter Burmeister and dogs from LAPD and LASD. It took years to get over his death. Finally six months ago I did my research and thought I found a good breeder and purchased a female to take home and train and eventually breed with the help of my 10 year old daughter who is a patient and consistent trainer.

Now for the sad news. It's now 6 months later and Ginger is 9 months old and has develeloped a tail that rides high and curled to the left, both ears have splits at the tips, and there is a missing tooth. I have had my club and a vet look at her and they believe these are genetic issues and she should not be breed.

The breeder says I have no right to complain and if I want I can bring her back for a refund but now the dog is part of the family. It would crush my daughter if I did that.

This has caused much heart ach for me knowing we can't breed her now.

I asked the breeder to simply send me 50% of the cost of the dog and she refused. She also threatened me legally for talking about it publicly. None of my claims are false and can be substantiated with photos and testimonies.

Remember that a full refund sounds ok when you get the dog but once it's a part of the family it's a different story. I'll post pictures when I'm home.

I have to take some blame since I did choose the breeder but I hope this gives you something to think about while choosing yours.

Liesje 08-18-2014 02:29 PM

What did the initial contract say? It sounds like the breeder is offering what most offer, actually more if she's offering a full refund for the return (many offer nothing, or a replacement puppy for the return).

If you are looking to buy a foundation female for breeding, you will save yourself a lot of time and money spent on dogs that probably won't work out if you buy a dog that is old enough to more accurately evaluate the conformation, verify the dentition, and certify the hips and elbows. Many people spend decades owning and training dogs until they have a female they feel is breed quality.

volcano 08-18-2014 02:31 PM

So were you looking for a show dog?

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

If you are looking to buy a foundation female for breeding, you will save yourself a lot of time and money spent on dogs that probably won't work out if you buy a dog that is old enough to more accurately evaluate the conformation, verify the dentition, and certify the hips and elbows.
best advice ever

DaniFani 08-18-2014 02:43 PM

I think this is a ridiculous "buyer beware." Buying a puppy is a crap shoot when it comes to "breedability." If you want to be a breeder, I would strongly suggest finding an adult female to start your program on. This way, you know what you have, health wise, temperament wise, workability, conformation, etc...There are absolutely no guarantees that a puppy will be a good FOUNDATION dog. If anything, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that most* puppies will not be breedable. I think it's pretty naive of you to think so, and makes me wonder whether you and your ten year old child really know what you're doing....doesn't make me question the breeder you got the puppy from, though.

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 02:47 PM

also their site states their pups run 1500-5k depending on how well together the puppy is put
aka potential show and breeder

did you pay 5k or 1500?

if you paid 5k for a potential show and breeder then yes you have a case
if you got a 1500 pet quality dog then not so much

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

If you want to be a breeder, I would strongly suggest finding an adult female to start your program on.
so in other words, what liesje just said??

Quote:

both ears have splits at the tips
i would like to see a pic of this as i have never seen it
but at 9mos of age this is quite likely an environmental thing

Quote:

tail that rides high and curled to the left,
lol this is a 'sad news/ ironic you should say that as it is called a gay tail (gay meaning happy)

Quote:

a missing tooth
again this is not sad news??
elbow dysplasia is sad news
a missing tooth is like, oh well

Liesje 08-18-2014 02:48 PM

I currently have a 10 month old dog with a kinked tail and a missing tooth...and I love him. Funny thing is, I never intended to keep him, but I got so attached. He's staying and he's already training in several sports and loving it. No breeding or showing for him, but that saves me a lot of time, money, and possible heartache.

Liesje 08-18-2014 02:51 PM

Also - mod hat - this site is not for breeder bashing (justified or not, not our call or our business) or airing grievances. If you see someone asking about this kennel, please PM that person if you want to share your experience.

Ace GSD 08-18-2014 04:12 PM

Wow... I was planning to get my next puppy from ****.