Looking for a great WGSL breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Messa
Default Looking for a great WGSL breeder

Sorry for the wall of text!!

I am looking for my first German Shepherd Dog, a black and red West German show line male. I was strongly set on **** Shepherds, as I was very impressed by both the breeder and her recommended trainer as well as her dogs and live very close to her property, but **** is no longer an option for me. I won't say why here as I'm afraid it would be deemed 'breeder bashing'. It has become very frustrating for me to look for a good dog after having what I felt was the best option for me torn away.

I've thought longer and harder over the last few months since then and ideally, I would love a dog that is a couple years old that has training or possibly an older puppy with some preexisting training. I'm looking for a calmer dog, preferably raised in a home environment (which, now that I think about it, **** didn't really have), or at least around people, so that he would have house manners and like to be loved on a lot! I have come to realize that Schutzhund isn't a realistic goal for me right now, nor will it be in the near future, so I'm not looking for a dog with high drives for the sport. I do however think I would enjoy competition obedience, or maybe agility. I just want to find fun things to do with my dog.

I'm desperately looking for a reputable breeder that many of you can back, or another reputable source. From what I can tell, there really aren't that many WGSL breeders within driving distance of my area and I can't really afford to fly around to breeders. As much as I would absolutely love to meet and handle the dog in person, I'm lead to believe that I would most likely be flying a dog in, and that's why I need someone that a lot of you can vouch for--even buying sight unseen. I check the classifieds on Pedigreedatabase daily for both Canada and USA, and haven't found anything that seems right for me. There have been one or two but they were sold before I saw them.

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of money. I can at least financially support / care for the dog once I have him, but I don't have many thousands of dollars lying around to purchase one... so $10,000 dogs are absolutely out of the question.

It's just become very disheartening. It feels like every time I find a breeder that looks half decent online, then Google it further or forum search it here, I find a whole lot of reviews with people having pups from there that are deformed or have HD or ED or DM or some other genetic disease.

I have looked into rescue, but there isn't anything locally that I feel suits me. There are a few nice dogs down in Washington but the rescue said they don't have the resources to adopt across the border, as they are a small organization.

There are a few breeders I would like to ask questions about, but for now I'd really just like to hear whatever recommendations you're able to give me. Again, I'd likely be buying sight unseen. Please feel free to ask me whatever questions you'd like, here or in PM, and I'll answer whatever I feel comfortable with.

Thank you all so much in advance!

---
On a personal note, in an attempt to provoke the most relevant responses possible, I'm a 21 year old girl and have PTSD as well as anxiety, which is why I'm definitely looking for a GSD with a more affectionate personality and a very stable temperament. This is also why I'm looking for one that has some training. I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue among other conditions, but will absolutely be able to walk / play / train the dog daily, however it's very necessary he have an 'off switch'. I do have experience living with what was for all intensive purposes the worlds most difficult dog. He was poorly bred, poorly raised before I got him, and the multiple vets and trainers believed he had either ADHD (as rare as it is in dogs..) or a brain injury of some kind. As much as I loved him, living with him was a living ****, so I'm absolutely not looking for another horrible experience. I have enough scars from the last time around.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 08-30-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Edited out Breeder's name.
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

The older the dog, the more training and work, the more expensive it is going to be. Also finding a dog that has *truly* been home-raised and is now for sale, with training, and doesn't have some issue/reason it is for sale will be more rare, and probably pricey. You may have better luck buying a puppy and then paying someone else do the raising and training if that's what you want. Good WGSL puppies are typically $2k to $2500+. If it's a good dog, price *should* go up with age/training (if the price is less, there may be a reason like the dog was returned to the breeder for some reason, the dog ended up with a bad hip or bad elbow).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm taking any information and opinions I can get at this point, so thank you! As I said I'm well open to older pups, but I'm at a loss as to long distance breeders.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

If I were looking for a WGSL puppy right now and trying to find something out west, I'd check out Heidi Theis, vom Theishof. Still not close, but closer than the midwest or east coast! I do not have a puppy from her but I have met several dogs bred by her and seen them perform and she has handled one of my dogs for me. I hav always been impressed with her dogs and her program.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is also TeMar in Oregon....

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

vom Theishof hasn't popped up on my radar at all, so I'll definitely start looking into her. I know of TeMar and have read a lot about Mary, so it's good to hear TeMar recommended again.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
There is also TeMar in Oregon....

Lee
My 6 month old puppy's sire is Zeager v TeMar. Zeager is WGSL Sch 3 and supposed to be a very sweet and friendly dog. I have not personally met him.

My puppy is incredibly sweet and handler sensitive. (I will also say he is way too smart for his own good.)

I could see my boy being a therapy dog.

I can not speak about Mary at TeMar's as she was not the breeder of my boy. So I cannot give a personal recommendation about TeMar in regard to breeder support, contracts, etc.

My pup's dam just had a litter by another sire, the breeder is in WA state but does NOT ship. (Both parents are calm and sweet.)

Last edited by Moriah; 08-17-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Moriah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
My 6 month old puppy's sire is Zeager v TeMar. Zeager is WGSL Sch 3 and supposed to be a very sweet and friendly dog. I have not personally met him.

My puppy is incredibly sweet and handler sensitive. (I will also say he is way too smart for his own good.)

I could see my boy being a therapy dog.

I can not speak about Mary at TeMar's as she was not the breeder of my boy. So I cannot give a personal recommendation about TeMar in regard to breeder support, contracts, etc.

My pup's dam just had a litter by another sire, the breeder is in WA state but does NOT ship. (Both parents are calm and sweet.)
Moriah, I'm going to Pm you!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would just like to post an update to clarify a few things in my original post.

As I said, I am very impressed with both the breeder and her recommended trainer as well as her dogs. I am upset that I myself lost my opportunity to have a dog from her, but that doesn't change the fact that her dogs and her practices are Top notch.

Anything price related was absolutely not in reference to her dogs--her puppies are very fairly priced at $2000 which seems to be the standard of WGSL puppies across North America.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 08-30-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Edited out breeder name to avoid misunderstanding -
Messa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also want to add that my comment about raising pups in a 'family environment' was meant to imply that it would be beneficial for me if the pup was raised in the home with basic obedience and good house manners. I understand why the breeder trains her pups the way she does--all her breeding dogs are schutzhund titled and many of her pups are prospects. As many of us here know, many schutzhund pups aren't trained in obedience until later in life.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.