Southern California Breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Southern California Breeders

A friend had two rescued GSDs out of West German Show Lines. They were middle aged, around 7-8. One suddenly became ill last week and died. She's in shock and her remaining dog is grieving. In her words, he's a placid dog and she would like another one just like him as a companion. I know a lot about local rescue organizations and offered to help her locate another dog. Her faith in the rescue organization she worked with before is gone. She never worried about health until she lost her dog and is considering getting a puppy. I offered to help her sort it out. She wants a dog from a breeding that will have less likelihood of health risks like the illness she just went through with her dog.

I gave her the names of two local rescue groups that screen dogs better than the one she used. She wants to look at breeders before making a decision. If she gets a puppy, two neighbors can take care of it for her while she's at work. She gets off work at 3 p.m. and her teens are home in the morning. One is in college, so the dog won't be alone for extended periods of time. Her current dog uses a doggy door to go in and out. I told her a puppy would need more hands on attention.

Are there any breeders who might have older dogs for sale that have been returned? That could be a way to adopt a dog without using a rescue group. I also suggested she contact service dog or guide dog organizations that might have available dogs released from their program if there are any that use German Shepherds.

I'm making a list of Southern California breeders she can talk to. She has owned German Shepherds before these two and does well with them, but the dog will be a family pet, will go on hikes and vacations and long, daily walks. It won't go through more than basic obedience. She has three children and a lot of traffic in and out of her house.

Are there any other So Cal breeders I can add to the list? I would add working line if I could find a kennel with placid dogs that would sell to a family as a non-working pet. If anyone has personal experience or knows directly about any of these breeders, please PM me with the information. I've seen threads here get contentious, so I hope we can keep this calm and helpful for her. She's not online, so I'm going to relay the information to her. Thank you in advance. I haven't given her a list yet and would like to be able to add or remove names based on personal experience of others before I do. It's a short list based on location.

West Coast German Shepherds
Von Salerno
Grunenfeld
Von Baltasar
Lundborg Land
War Cry

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 08-07-2014 at 04:51 PM.
LuvShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Lundborg Land dog. He is everything I wanted in a shepherd. He's beautiful, intelligent, affectionate, and adored by many. However the biting as a pup was intense. But all pups are different. Thumbs up for Lundborg Land
Bellagrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

I would contact Barbara at West Coast German Shepherds, she has a few puppies right now and Barbara has very nice dogs!!!

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Westside German Shepherd Rescue also has quite a few puppies right now. If she wants to go the rescue route.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you. I appreciate the information here and via PM. Larhage, do you know anyone who has a West Coast dog? I've seen posts from the breeder, which is helpful. It would be good to hear from someone who owns one of her dogs.

Trcy, I'll tell her. I was told by more than one person that Westside isn't always easy to work with. I've heard mixed things from people who have adopted or tried to adopt from them. In particular, whether they will take a dog back if it doesn't work out. I know the other rescues insist on it. I talked to someone who got a dog from them, had a situation where they needed to return the dog and they didn't have space so they wouldn't take it back. That's very different from the rescue groups I've worked with, who insist if a dog is given up it comes back to them. I helped another woman adopt a rescue dog. She had the dog for a while and it didn't adjust to her home, so the rescue group sent someone over immediately and they took the dog back. I looked at their site and they don't indicate whether the dogs are purebred or not. Some of the other So Cal rescues do mention if a dog is a mix.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post

Trcy, I'll tell her. I was told by more than one person that Westside isn't always easy to work with. I've heard mixed things from people who have adopted or tried to adopt from them. In particular, whether they will take a dog back if it doesn't work out. I know the other rescues insist on it. I talked to someone who got a dog from them, had a situation where they needed to return the dog and they didn't have space so they wouldn't take it back. That's very different from the rescue groups I've worked with, who insist if a dog is given up it comes back to them. I helped another woman adopt a rescue dog. She had the dog for a while and it didn't adjust to her home, so the rescue group sent someone over immediately and they took the dog back. I looked at their site and they don't indicate whether the dogs are purebred or not. Some of the other So Cal rescues do mention if a dog is a mix.
Most of those questions would need to be presented to the rescue. I was approved to adopt through them. This was over a year ago. At the time they did not have a lot of puppies. I have two smaller dogs, so we wanted to start with a puppy. We ended up going with a breeder.

My parents were approved to adopt and got their puppy in less than a week. It was very smooth.

When I look at their available dogs I see where they indicate if they are mixed or not. My parents weren't as concerned about that. The rescue felt the puppy may be mixed. She looks pure to me.

They did say if the dog did not work out in 2 months they could get another dog or something like that. I was their to read the contract.

Last edited by trcy; 08-08-2014 at 08:36 PM.
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you Trcy. Your information about the rescue is more recent than mine. That's a good suggestion if she contacts them. She should be asking a lot of questions. I looked at two other rescues, GSROC and Coastal. Coastal has a lot of SL dogs and GSROC appears to have quite a few working line. I'm surprised at how many of their dogs look like they are pure bred.

I received information on several breeders. I also checked their websites and two have older dogs for sale. That will give her a variety of different choices. I appreciate all the suggestions and information.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a Grunenfeld dog, can't really go wrong with her dogs.

I will say that Jackie is very very old school and isn't always super easy to deal with but I've met several of her dogs and talked to many others who have dogs from her... They were/are very happy and many of her dogs live 12-14 years.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi, I have a 41/2 mos old grunenfeld dog. She is sweet, loveable, she was completely crate trained when we picked her up at 9 weeks. She has been easy to train, not too bity. Jackie is unique, opinionated but I admired her dedication to the dogs and puppy health.
Katy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy1985 View Post
Hi, I have a 41/2 mos old grunenfeld dog. She is sweet, loveable, she was completely crate trained when we picked her up at 9 weeks. She has been easy to train, not too bity. Jackie is unique, opinionated but I admired her dedication to the dogs and puppy health.
TJ misses his friend, Liesl

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.