Untitled parents? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Untitled parents?

Hey everyone,
So I am looking for my first pup, and have a question. There is a breeder I am looking into who has a litter due around November. The breeder was very nice over the phone, and spent alot of time going over everything. The thing is neither parent has any titles to their name after looking them up. They do come from working lines as some dogs in the family tree on both sides do have titles.
My question is would you have any hesitation in purchasing a puppy from parents without titles? The dog will be mostly a family dog, but I would like the option to work him in the future. Any suggestions would be great!
kyle6367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have purchased dogs from titled parents, dogs from non titled parents, and rescues.

It would depend on a couple things for me, health testing being a biggy, what health testing has the parents had? For me, it would also depend on the dogs involved and behind them..

Can you pm a pedigree/website? I'm not an expert, but can give you my opinion.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

If there is the possibility of working the dog at some point, I would not buy from untitled parents that I did not know. Just my .02
Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Health testing would be my biggest concern, but I would want to know why the parents didn't have titles. Some experienced breeders have valid reasons for breeding untitled dogs (occasionally). Breeders who NEVER title their dogs, though, are another matter entirely- to me personally, it says they don't want to invest the time or money and don't know their dogs as well as someone who has been through the paces with them. Of course, then you get into folks who import already titled dogs, etc.... so it's kind of a rabbit hole.

It's not a deal breaker, I'd just want to know why.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with wanting to know why.

Personally health testing is my biggest concern but titles are my second - I want a dog from a breeder that knows their dogs inside and out. Health testing and titles are huge stepping stones

Do look at the types of tiles as well, some carry more weight then others

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

^^^ What they said.

My female's sire is not titled, but I know why. I have seen him work a bit in person to help confirm.
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I will be breeding an untitled female (OFA and show rating and temperament tested)...she was worked and because I had severe injuries which pretty much put me out of commission for two years due to a car accident she did not get titled. BUT I titled her mother and her grandmother....she is 5 so needs to be bred.

That is much different than someone who is breeding untitled dogs, from untitled dog and has not titled anything in the family.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just put $$ down on a pup from untitled parents. The only reason I found the litter initially was a Youtube clip of some Bitework. The breeder has titled dogs in the past and also has dogs working in LE. That plus the vids were enough for me to take the dive.
What I dont like are fanciful stories that have no provable basis in reality, show dont just tell.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Best dog I've ever owned was from untitled parents. The dogs had the bloodlines I wanted. They were health tested. The guy just thought Schutzhund was stupid. Lol good enough reason for me. I saw his dogs work in person and was sold.

Health testing is the most important. Titles are great but not a deal breaker. I've met ipo3 dogs that should never ever be bred. I've seen titled dogs that the judge had have to been blind on trail day. Your best bet is get someone knowledgeable to go assess the parents for you.
Gib_laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of times when you see that the titles end with the current generation, its basically the "breeder" purchasing good dogs from other breeders and throwing them together without doing the work to prove those actual dogs. You'll still have all the names on the pedigree, you can talk about how the grandparents have all those titles, but you yourself don't have to actually title.

They'll mostly sell to people like you who are "looking for a pet" by selling you on the fact that the dog will make a great pet, and clearly the lines can work if you ever want to do a sport of some sort. But you still don't know that for sure.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.