Looking for a good breeder in KY - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Looking for a good breeder in KY

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and it seems to be a great place to get info.
I've been researching German Shepherds the past few months and believe one would be perfect for my family! The problem is: I've never bought from a breeder before and I'm not sure what to look for in one (my current dogs are rescues). I just want to be sure I'm getting a good, healthy dog that wont come with a million problems. I should also mention: I'm not looking to buy one until the end of this year/beginning of next year. I thought starting my search now would be better so I can have time to see what breeder i want to go with.
I've been looking around at breeders and the closest one I'm finding is in Chattanooga, TN called Appleridge Kennels/Appleridge Obedience Family German Shepherds. They seem to love their dogs a lot from what I've read around on the site and I like the idea of them training before coming home. But are they a good breeder? Or does anyone know of a closer breeder to me? I'm located in Western, KY. So Chattanooga is a drive for me (about 5 hours); although, i'm willing to drive up to 6 hours for a good breeder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ToxinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am getting a male from Appleridge at the beginning of September. He is about 10 weeks old now and is currently being trained. I am stopping by to see him at the end of this month and would be happy to update you on how that visit is going and the progress that they are making with him.

My experiences so far with Appleridge and the owner have been good. They have been very responsive to questions and very helpful. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Bridger2014; 07-16-2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo
Bridger2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think there were a couple members here who had medical issues with their dogs from the Canada kennel, you'd have to do a "search" here on the kennel..That's all I know of the kennel/breeder itself.

There are a few breeders in KY, mine came from kleinenhain (wanda) who's a member here.
Hopefully others will chime in with KY breeders so you wouldn't have to travel to far.

Good luck with your search.

*actually I did a quick search here, PM member Saphire who had one of their dogs, and Wild Wolf who posted they had some experience with them as well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge

Last edited by JakodaCD OA; 07-16-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridger2014 View Post
I am getting a male from Appleridge at the beginning of September. He is about 10 weeks old now and is currently being trained. I am stopping by to see him at the end of this month and would be happy to update you on how that visit is going and the progress that they are making with him.

My experiences so far with Appleridge and the owner have been good. They have been very responsive to questions and very helpful. Good luck with your search.

That would be fantastic if you could keep me updated on how that goes!

And JakodaCD OA, I'll check kleinenhain out! And I'll message the members you listed about Appleridge, thank you!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Another breeder in KY to keep in your files(I don't think he has pups at this time, but is worth contacting) K9 Motivation Dog Training
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you looking at showlines?

Jeff Lund is active in breeding, training, titling, showing his own breedings. He is on Franklin, KY area (below Bowling Green).

Schneiden Fels German Shepherds - Upcoming Litters
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie86 View Post
Are you looking at showlines?

Jeff Lund is active in breeding, training, titling, showing his own breedings. He is on Franklin, KY area (below Bowling Green).

Schneiden Fels German Shepherds - Upcoming Litters

I mean it'll be pet only (no showing off or competitions), so I'm not really looking for showlines and all - just a quality shepherd. I wanna be sure if I pay a lot of money I get a good dog that's healthy and will be healthy for years to come.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

This has been a good resource to read through, for me. It explains the different lines of German Shepherds. In my experience a reputable breeder will breed for specific line. Hope this helps some.

(Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Fate von Schraderhaus- GSD - June 15 2014
Cali - Pug/Chihuahua - Sep 6 2008
taytay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

I skimmed through it - Since I'm wanting more of a laid back and calmer deposition would a American Show Line be the type for me? I mean I do plan to maybe build a mini agility trial in my backyard to mix things up and have different ways for him to get exercise (if I can manage to teach him, not really going into competitions just for fun. And maybe frisbee and stuff ).

Should I go for a dog with a stronger working drive to do these things? Or is that not necessary since I'm not looking to really get into it I guess you could say professionally - just fun?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The term showline is used to denote a type or style of GSD....the European Showlines basically are lower drive (than European working lines) and are 99.999% black and red/tan....the classic black saddle with red/tan legs and body....this type should be ideal for an active pet home...

If you are serious about agility even, a working line would be more suitable, a lower drive working line would still be fine...the showlines are bigger and not as agile....frisbee - IMO - is a big vet bill lottery ticket - jumping and leaping for any toy is also high risk for injuries

I would also recommend Jeff Lund - quite a few people who came here looking have been referred to him and have been pleased with their pups.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.