Breeder suggestions for Northern MA/Southern NH Area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeder suggestions for Northern MA/Southern NH Area

Hi Everyone....my family and I are looking to bring a GSD into our family. Its just 3 of us currently: me, my wife and our 5yo son who LOVES dogs. Growing up both my wife and I had med-large dogs in the house so we're familiar with life of having potential 70lb+ dogs.

The dog would mostly be for companionship. We'd certainly like to do training for control and on leash/off leash stuff. We recently moved to Groton so there will be plenty of room for he/she to get some exercise with all the parks and trails in the area.

We're looking for suggestions on breeders for temperament and health and a little drive(no preference on color/pattern)...pretty much looking for a dog we can take on out door activities and then just turn into a couch potato once we're home haha.

Thanks for everyone's time.
MrLoops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a puppy from Olympia Kennels (located in southern NH) that I've been pretty happy with so far. He's a little over three months, so I can't tell you anything about his long term health, but he is a happy pup who seems to have a really good temperament. He's outgoing and friendly with other dogs and confident around other people and in unfamiliar situations. Except for the occasional mistake, he picked up housebreaking very quickly.

He does have moderate prey drive, is pretty exuberant and, if he isn't sleeping, seems to need a lot of attention/play time. I am also having to spend a lot of time on teaching him not to nip when he plays (which might be an issue for you with a small child). It's been 13 years since my last puppy, so I'm not sure how much of this is normal GSD puppy behavior and how much is specific to him.

Olympia breed mostly WGSL, but use a lot of Kirschental lines which were traditionally herding dogs. There are also a number of WGWL breeders that I know are well thought of on the forum (some of whom I have spoken with or have a little experience with).

Abby Kennels in northern Mass. (Chelmsford I think) seems to produce solid dogs, but the one's I've met also have pretty strong drives and might not be the best match for you. If you are interested I would contact the breeder, who is also a very experienced trainer and would be able to tell you if his dogs would be a good fit.

People also seem to really like von Ryan Haus as a breeder. I've also spoken with her and was pretty impressed. I think she'd work hard to match you up with a dog that would be a good fit. Von Hena C also has a pretty good reputation on this forum. I also liked the breeder at Kavallarie Shepherds who I spoke with at some length (although she is in Northern Vermont, so it might be too far for you).

Last edited by John C.; 07-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.