German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Ocean State Shilohs? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/468713-ocean-state-shilohs.html)

Snapdragon 07-09-2014 10:12 AM

Ocean State Shilohs?

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody have any experience with her or her dogs?

Merciel 07-13-2014 11:06 AM

I don't have a ton of experience with them, and I have never met or spoken to the breeder myself, but I have seen one dog out of this kennel. He was a big sweet fluffy goofball. Stable and sociable in a crowd, very easygoing, little to no working drive (as far as I could tell, and his owner said the same, but she hadn't gotten him for performance so she didn't mind), softer temperament. This was at a big "meet the breeds"-type event where I was doing some adoption stuff, so I didn't have a ton of time to talk to the owner or get to know the dog real well, unfortunately. But what I saw was a nice pet dog.

This breeder does health test and do some minimal titling on her dogs (mostly just CGCs, as far as I can tell, so... not much, but something), and if I were going to recommend a Shiloh breeder to someone, she'd definitely make my list.

Snapdragon 07-15-2014 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good to know. I see that she does do OFA and CERF. I was referred to her through Ridgewood Shilohs, who currently have one of their most esteemed dogs siring a litter that I'm interested in. I'm mostly choosing them because I'm following this sire around who so far as I have seen has made gorgeous babies (Ridgewood's Fame and Fortune. He's stunning.) I wonder if I can ask her for photos of adult babies from her dogs, I'm interested to see what they look like past 8 wks etc. Since there's some particular traits I'm looking for. If the parents look a certain way, do the babies mostly inherit that?

Merciel 07-15-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapdragon (Post 5778298)
I wonder if I can ask her for photos of adult babies from her dogs, I'm interested to see what they look like past 8 wks etc. Since there's some particular traits I'm looking for. If the parents look a certain way, do the babies mostly inherit that?

I imagine it couldn't hurt, although if they aren't her own dogs then she might only have whatever her puppy buyers have sent to her. But that might give you some insight into her continuing relationships with puppy buyers, and that could be good information to have, depending on what you're looking for.

As to your question re: the puppies' looks, I am not the right person to answer that. I pay very little attention to color/appearance (it's pretty much dead last on my list of priorities) and I'm not a breeder anyway, so it's never been a topic that I spent any time researching. On top of that, Shilohs aren't my breed, and I know absolutely nothing about how their coat colors, markings, etc., are inherited.

I do think that would be a great question to ask the breeder, though. :)