German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Working Line Breeder in Ontario (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/467737-working-line-breeder-ontario.html)

TJL 07-06-2014 08:14 PM

Working Line Breeder in Ontario

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading up on this forum for some time now and figured it would be appropriate to begin a new thread to ask for some assistance in my puppy search.

I am looking for a working line puppy that I would like to train in Search & Rescue/Tracking. I would prefer functionality over any specific look, coat, etc. I believe a dog with medium drive would be my preference as both my partner and I are very active and we have a large yard for romping around. Although I would like a working line breed the most important factor would be temperament and for a good companion before all else.

I have done some research on breeders around the Southern Ontario Region, but wanted to get some input from the resident experts :).

Thank you!

gsdsar 07-06-2014 08:28 PM

Are you affiliated with a SAR team yet? That would be my first resource. They will be able to guide you to a breeder that produces what is needed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 07-06-2014 08:37 PM

there are very very very little prospects into being called out for a search. You must do your proof of interest first as a ground pounder .
There are however other opportunities for dogs with high search skills.
I can recommend tracking clubs .

do you have GSD experience ? do you have tracking training experience.

there is so much to being able to train and read the dog that comes with experience .

TJL 07-06-2014 08:54 PM

I would be completely new to it, So it would be a learning experience for me as well. I just have a great desire to learn more about tracking/ search. Would you be able to tell me which tracking clubs you'd suggest?

Thanks

carmspack 07-06-2014 09:14 PM

sure thing .
Cross Country Tracking Club , is a very friendly , welcoming club that is actively training and holds several tracking trials .
Marie Babin or Sue Coutts would be the ones to contact .
Cross Country Tracking Club

Sue Coutts CKC tracking rep for Northern Ontario has this blog Birch-Bark Hill . Sue has attend the Urban Tracking Dog Excellent title twice .

carmspack 07-06-2014 09:16 PM

Bowmanville, practically neighbours .

Cross Country Tracking Club is minutes away !!

TJL 07-06-2014 09:30 PM

Perfect! I'll check them out!

TJL 07-06-2014 09:33 PM

Would you happen to know of any potential breeders for a GSD with some tracking potential?

canyadoit 07-06-2014 10:01 PM

Try baden kennels If they are still in operation They use to be #3 in the worldwhen mike ran it Very high end dogs military fbi cia state police home land security etc Doubt he sell to you but worth a call

Saphire 07-06-2014 10:03 PM

Carmspack kennel....close to you in Bowmanville. She has posted to you here.

Carmspack Gus