Thoughts on these breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on these breeders

Hello new member here but my wife and I have spent the last week and half both lurking through the forums researching GSD's. We are looking for a shepherd that will be a family dog and natural protection. We are not looking to compete with the dog. We have narrowed it down to the West German Showline or a lower prey drive working dog that has the deep red and black coloring. We would like some input on the following list of breeders we have come across and are considering. We live in South Carolina but are open to any breeder in any area.
The breeders are
Von lotta
Von der Sauk
Hollow Hilss
Banffy Haus
Oher Tannem

We look forward to all comments good or bad and any advice from the fine folks on this forum.
blackram_air is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm probably in error but I was under the assumption that working line breeders don't really breed for "pet" dogs.....not that they can't be quality pets.

I'd look for breeders who stress temperament which complements a quality family pet....not many out there as the marketplace seems to want to hear other "priorities" first.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackram_air View Post
We have narrowed it down to the West German Showline or a lower prey drive working dog that has the deep red and black coloring.
I have no experience with any of those breeders, but if you want the deep black and red coloring, you're looking at West German Showline. Working line dogs are sable, solid black, bi-color, or black and tan.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the information, that will help us to further narrow down our search. As you know there is a lot of information to digest and it can become confusing at times. We do now that temperament is the most important priority and that sharing our home dynamic and our plans on if we would compete or show the puppy are important in helping to find the right puppy for us.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just realized that I misspelled one of the breeders name
Hollow Hills is correct not Hollow Hilss
Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just got my pup, and I have a Von Der Sauk girl. I couldn't be happier with her. Geli's drives are good, she is smart as can be and is picking up her basics in housebreaking and general obedience like a champ. She is a home dog with two older retrievers in the house. And they are all doing well together. I plan to do some competition with her for the enjoyment of it later on. I've had Rotties for many years and in most recent years, retrievers. I'm so happy to be getting back into my working dogs.
Rottendog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

My girl Morgan is from Hollow Hills. She is now 12 weeks and old and growing fast. Beth is one of the best.
MonsterMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog is from *******. I paid around $2500 and he was imported from Germany. Absolutely stunning looking. I lived in NYC for a couple of years and we would go in Central Park for hours and people would constantly stop me and ask to take a picture of him. I had two trainers offer to buy him.

Got into a couple of altercations on the street with crazy people and he never overreacted. Always sent a warning to back off. His temperament was amazing although he could get spooked by old people moving very gingerly.

The downsides which are major. Double hip dysplasia and his stomach as a puppy was awful. Every dry food would go right through him and yes we switched the foods slowly instead of suddenly. This poor dog was not having constant firm stoles until about 6 months when switched to raw.

He is 7 years old and walks much older then that. I just had one TRH done and debating about doing the other side. ****** didn't hide from me at all and communicated with me about all of the issues. His solution for the hip dysplasia was send the dog back and he would replace it. I asked what would happen to my dog and he said he would be put down. I asked for money back towards surgery and this is where they get you. You make an emotional decision and keep the dog.

We had a discussion on the phone where he basically said these dogs hips are like rolling the dice. The best of lines can come down with hip dysplasia. I didnt bother much at that point becuase I wasnt sending the dog back and he clearly was not sending me a partial refund.

He has suspect reviews on the internet. When negative you really question the valadity of the review by the message being sent. The positive I have read on message boards are from people who signed up once just to post a positive message. I know I wouldn't buy from him again solely because of the hip issues

** Names removed as per board rules. **

Last edited by lhczth; 07-26-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Removed breeder's name and kennel name
Nook&I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nook&I, many breeders honor their guarantee/warranty without requiring that the dog be returned.

The downside is that if you opt to keep the dog (as many of us would do) you won't get any help with medical bills beyond the refund of your purchase price.

I understand that, & will accept the risk, but ONLY with breeders who have an established track record for producing sound, healthy, long lived dogs. Too often breeders are loudly touted as such, but scratch the surface and a myriad of health, structural & temperament problems suddenly pop up. Sadly, I've come to realize that in these PC times, the phrase 'good breeder' is as meaningless as the term 'byb'.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why in pc times only?
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.