looking for a puppy in New England area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default looking for a puppy in New England area

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a German Shepherd Dog In the new England area. I have narrowed it down to a few that I am looking at, I was wondering what you could tell me about them. This is my first post but I have been reading all that I can on here. I'll give you some background info and the breeders that I have been looking at.

Our family consists of myself, my wife and our 8 year old daughter. We have a 14 year old niece and 2 nephews (8 & 10) who frequently visit as well as my sister in law and brother in law. We have 2 min pins, a Chihuahua and a cat.

We recently lost our German Shepherd at 9 years and 8 months. About 3 years ago he had a hemangiosarcoma on his toe, the vet amputated his toe and said that there was a possibility of it coming back and that if it did, chances are it would attack his spleen. About a year ago we has to rush him to the vet because his gums were going white and he was stumbling. The vet did xrays and blood tests, and told us that he was bleeding internally and his spleen was enlarged but it had stopped and he would be okay. So we left happy even though we knew he was on borrowed time we still had our boy. He had this happen a few.times and on April 4th of this year we had to take our beloved boy back to the vet because he was bleeding internally again. The vet said it was his time and we are absolutely devastated and lost without our handsome boy, we miss him so much and we wish everyday that he was here with us. I am thankful that he is not suffering but it doesn't take the pain away. He is gone but never forgotten, he will always be with us in our hearts and our memories.

We have been looking at breeders in the new England area as we live in Connecticut and we want to be able to drive and meet the breeder, parents and our prospective puppy. I know color is not really important but we love the looks of the sables and the DDR lines. We don't want a dog that has super high drives as he will mainly be a companion and pet. I think a medium drive dog would be a perfect fit for us. We love to take walks, play, swim and train as well as going on outings and car rides. So we are looking for a dog that can go, go, go but relax with us at the end of the day.

We are also looking for stable nerves and temperament that won't be overly aggressive or see things as a threat that shouldn't be. A protector if he had to be but a lover while.with his family. We are also trying to find a breeder who tests for HD/ED, DM and hopefully a breeder who produces dogs without allergies. I know this is a long post and I apologize but I wanted to give as much info as possible because I want to be sure we find a good fit for our family as well as our future puppy.

We have been looking at Goble Kennels and Von Hena-C. They have beautiful dogs and test.

I was wondering what your opinions were of these kennels as well as any other that you can suggest.

I have attached some pictures of our handsome boy.

Thank you,

Sheina
Attached Thumbnails
looking for a puppy in New England area-full.jpg   looking for a puppy in New England area-full-1.jpg   looking for a puppy in New England area-full-2.jpg  
piebald07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry for your loss

I had a male (who has since passed) who's sire was from Von Hena C, I wouldn't hestitate to get a puppy from her. In fact, when I was looking again, before my male passed away, I had wanted to stay somewhat within the lines he was from, she sent me to kleinenhain who had her female, long story short I ended up getting my current GSD from Kleinenhain. Love her to death, but she has more czech/slovak than DDR than my last male.

I also like ryanhaus in MA, I hear ALOT of good things about her dogs, I like what she does with her dogs, Wolfiesmom here on the board has one of her dogs and he's quite a character with the stories she tells of him.

I don't think you can guarantee a dog will not come down with allergies. I can say my male who was 1/2 DDR and 1/2 Am show line, was a pretty darn healthy long lived dog.

I am also in CT..Good luck in your search

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss...he was indeed VERY handsome.

I'm originally from CT and there are a lot of really nice kennels in the NE area (though none really in CT). I don't own dogs from either that you mentioned, but I've met several Von Hena-C dogs and have been very impressed. I have a dog from Abby Kennels in MA who I couldn't be happier with. She's very high drive, but settles beautifully in the house. He does also frequently place dogs in active pet homes if they're a good fit. I understand your need for a dog without allergies... my older BYB male is allergic to everything under the sun and it's a nightmare. It's pretty hard to ensure that there won't be allergy issues, but talking to owners and the breeder and seeing what their experiences are with particular dogs is still helpful.

Good luck!
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I'm sorry for your loss

I had a male (who has since passed) who's sire was from Von Hena C, I wouldn't hestitate to get a puppy from her. In fact, when I was looking again, before my male passed away, I had wanted to stay somewhat within the lines he was from, she sent me to kleinenhain who had her female, long story short I ended up getting my current GSD from Kleinenhain. Love her to death, but she has more czech/slovak than DDR than my last male.

I also like ryanhaus in MA, I hear ALOT of good things about her dogs, I like what she does with her dogs, Wolfiesmom here on the board has one of her dogs and he's quite a character with the stories she tells of him.

I don't think you can guarantee a dog will not come down with allergies. I can say my male who was 1/2 DDR and 1/2 Am show line, was a pretty darn healthy long lived dog.

I am also in CT..Good luck in your search
Thank you for your recommendations, I am trying to do as much homework on this as I can. I really am trying to make sure that we get as healthy of a dog as we can. Our main concern is a stable minded dog that knows the difference between a threat and a non threat.

As far as allergies I know there is no test to be done to ensure you get a dog without them, I just know how hard allergies are to live with. Our Apollo was full of allergies and it was so hard for him to always be itchy and hotspots. He had to have a special powder, a special ear cleaner, benadryl, all kinds of stuff.

He was always at the vet for some type of allergy issue. We felt so bad for him.

So all of these issues are the reason I am trying to find the best fit for our family.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

you could also talk to noblecraft canine she is in Canterbury. She may be able to direct you to someone , not sure if she has puppies available

Tranquillo's Kizzy
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss...he was indeed VERY handsome.

I'm originally from CT and there are a lot of really nice kennels in the NE area (though none really in CT). I don't own dogs from either that you mentioned, but I've met several Von Hena-C dogs and have been very impressed. I have a dog from Abby Kennels in MA who I couldn't be happier with. She's very high drive, but settles beautifully in the house. He does also frequently place dogs in active pet homes if they're a good fit. I understand your need for a dog without allergies... my older BYB male is allergic to everything under the sun and it's a nightmare. It's pretty hard to ensure that there won't be allergy issues, but talking to owners and the breeder and seeing what their experiences are with particular dogs is still helpful.

Good luck!
Thank you for your kind words!

I will have to look into Abby kennels Massachusetts is really close. I am really missing having my German shepherd. I need another so bad. Thank you for your recommendation as well. I appreciate the input from both of you.

Here is another pic of our handsome boy, this is my wife's absolute favorite picture of our boy!!

Thank you both again.
Attached Thumbnails
looking for a puppy in New England area-img_20140510_174147.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

he was stunning

Tranquillo's Kizzy
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boyfriend's male is also from Abby Kennels.

This is Wuma.

6/25/14 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

6/25/14 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can't help with the search, but wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss. He was gorgeous. I'm sure you'll find the perfect pup, just take your time and ask lots of questions!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I may be able to help you, check your private messages (PMs).
VTcoach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.