Would you buy a puppy with this kind of health guarantee... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you buy a puppy with this kind of health guarantee...

The health and temperament of this dog is excellent to the best of our knowledge and belief at the time of sale. The required vaccinations and worming are as indicated on the health record below, attached, or sent with dog. However, we advise the Buyer to have the dog examined by licensed veterinarian of Buyers choice within 48 hours after receipt of the dog. We recommend you take a stool sample. If the veterinarian finds the dog to be in poor health, the dog must be returned immediately within 48 hours with the veterinarian examination records. The returned puppy will be replaced with a puppy of equal value as soon as possible. The return of the dog will be totally at the expense of Buyer, unless other arrangements are mutually agreed upon in writing between both parties. Failure to see a veterinarian within 48 hours will void all guarantees.

If this dog develops crippling hip dysplasia at anytime from purchase to one year of age (confirmed by x-rays from a competent licensed veterinarian or the orthopedic foundation for animals), the dog should be returned to us at the expense of the buyer. We will replace the dog (due to crippling dysplasia) as soon as possible with a replacement of equal value to the dog at the time of original purchase. We reserve the right to request that the x-rays be sent to us first for review to a board-certified Veterinary Radiologist or other veterinarian of our choice. Should the Buyer prefer to retain the said dog, the Buyer thereby forfeits any replacement, unless other arrangements are mutually agreed upon in an written amendment signed by both parties. In the event the buyer is unable to care for this puppy due to unforeseen circumstances, the seller has the first right of refusal to take the puppy back and / or place the puppy in an appropriate home . Sale of the puppy will result in partial proceeds to the buyer to be determined by seller .

No further guarantee is made. All sales are final and deposits are non-refundable.

This sounds like crap. My male didn't get diagnosed with EPI til he was almost 3. Plus dogs show no signs of hip problems before 1 yr unless they are really bad off.
mikeb316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy from this seller. One year on the hips is not enough. There is a reason why OFA is done at 2+ years. Some breeders gives much better guarantees than this. I have seen up to 3 yrs on genetic disorders.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Everything sounds pretty standard to me. If you're worried about hips, you can do OFA prelims as young as 4 months. I'm not seeing any red flags.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agree with Lucy Dog.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would keep looking. 1 year is not enough. And it's only crippling dysplasia. Which is horrible. And you have to return the dog, that you have loved for a year.

I hate that in a contract. It is, IMHO, an easy way for a breeder to never have to honor their guarantee. Most people don't want to give back their dog, so they don't. And the breeder is in the clear. It's shady.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like this much better.

http://sequoyah-german-shepherds.com/warrantee.htm
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As your typical pet home, i can care less what the guarantee says. I'm not returning the puppy because of hip or any other genetic issues and I probably wouldn't want another one from that breeder if the first one did have issues. I go with a breeder and the dogs I'm comfortable with and hope I made the right decision. The "guarantee" makes the buyer feel all warm and fuzzy inside and that's about all they're good for. At least in my opinion.

In a real life working home where the dog has a specific job, that's a different story. That's where a guarantee actually has some importance.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
And you have to return the dog, that you have loved for a year.
That's exactly why breeders use this kind of guarantee. Nobody would buy a working or show dog from a breeder with a one year hip guarantee, and nobody will give up their pet for a replacement, so the guarantee is essentially meaningless.
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
As your typical pet home, i can care less what the guarantee says. I'm not returning the puppy because of hip or any other genetic issues and I probably wouldn't want another one from that breeder if the first one did have issues. I go with a breeder and the dogs I'm comfortable with and hope I made the right decision. The "guarantee" makes the buyer feel all warm and fuzzy inside and that's about all they're good for. At least in my opinion.

In a real life working home where the dog has a specific job, that's a different story. That's where a guarantee actually has some importance.

Agreed. I could not have cared less about a "guarantee".

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Nope would not go with that breeder. I have a sport dog with a lot of money invested into him. Even the best breeders will produce a dog with HD eventually, but if that were the case I want a REPLACEMENT, not to have to return my dog.

As well final OFAs can not be done until 2 years old. My breeder required preliminary radiographs at 1 year old but had no limit on the overall guarantee.

People should care about contract guarantees! Breeders usually put such tight restrictions on their contracts because they're producing dogs with the defects. Like 1 breeder contract I saw did not guarantee against mild HD because in their words "it does not affect the dog". I guarantee you that breeder does not guarantee against mild dysplasia because she is repeatedly producing dogs with mild dysplasia.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 06-14-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.