German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Negotiate? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/459194-negotiate.html)

StingRay 06-10-2014 09:36 PM

Negotiate?
 
Can you negotiate with well known established breeders? or do you have to pay what they set the price at?

zyppi 06-10-2014 09:41 PM

know what you want in a dog and be willing to pay for their care in producing pups that fit your desire.

There is no such thing as a 'bargain' puppy.

HarleyTheGSD 06-11-2014 12:17 AM

Yes, all of the breeders I have heard of, have non-negotiable prices. Usually, their lower priced dogs are pet-quality dogs. Dogs that would not particularly be suitable for sport.
Well, I wish you luck puppy hunting! :)

Shade 06-11-2014 07:38 AM

I wouldn't recommend it, you're more likely to offend them which is an awful start to a relationship. If you can't afford the full price then wait and save up until you can

JakodaCD OA 06-11-2014 07:39 AM

I would be embarrassed to negotiate price,(and never have) and if a breeder, would not be impressed with someone who did.

martemchik 06-11-2014 09:09 AM

You can always try, but probably risk the chance that they'll just refuse to sell you a puppy.

Most really good breeders have waiting lists of people. There are some that won't take a deposit until a puppy is on the ground, but during that time they'll have way more demand for the puppies than puppies available. So if they have 8 puppies on the ground, and you decide to try to negotiate, you're probably moving to the back of the line, and if the breeder doesn't tell you straight out they don't want to tell you a puppy...they'll just let you know that you're 9th on the list and they only have 8 puppies.

Liesje 06-11-2014 09:19 AM

Last time I sold a puppy I was working with for a friend, one person tried to negotiate and it was a no-go, pretty insulting actually.

Many good breeders will offer a better price or some other arrangement to a great home for a puppy, but as a buyer I would not negotiate with someone I did not know and didn't have a history of buying from. I've personally gotten two dogs for free from their breeders and one for less than the advertised price but would not be comfortable asking for a deal.

Ellimaybel 06-11-2014 09:25 AM

Gunther's breeder wasn't even a pro and she acted insulted over a lot of things. I can't imagine trying to negotiate the price. She would have refused to answer her phone until all the pups were gone.

onyx'girl 06-11-2014 09:25 AM

Some breeders won't even quote a price until they've chatted with a potential buyer....
I'd rather pay the price quoted on an upcoming litter than deal with a breeder that isn't up front on what they are charging.
I'd never try to negotiate a price already listed.

LaRen616 06-11-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5627657)
I wouldn't recommend it, you're more likely to offend them which is an awful start to a relationship. If you can't afford the full price then wait and save up until you can

:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5627665)
I would be embarrassed to negotiate price,(and never have) and if a breeder, would not be impressed with someone who did.

:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5627993)
Last time I sold a puppy I was working with for a friend, one person tried to negotiate and it was a no-go, pretty insulting actually.

Many good breeders will offer a better price or some other arrangement to a great home for a puppy, but as a buyer I would not negotiate with someone I did not know and didn't have a history of buying from. I've personally gotten two dogs for free from their breeders and one for less than the advertised price but would not be comfortable asking for a deal.

:thumbup:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2